Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Why It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the 1980s
    Question
    A study finds that people today who eat and exercise the same amount as people 20 years ago are still fatter:

"First, people are exposed to more chemicals that might be weight-gain inducing. Pesticides, flame retardants, and the substances in food packaging might all be altering our hormonal processes and tweaking the way our bodies put on and maintain weight.

Second, the use of prescription drugs has risen dramatically since the Ď70s and Ď80s. Prozac, the first blockbuster SSRI, came out in 1988. Antidepressants are now one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in the U.S., and many of them have been linked to weight gain.

Finally, Kuk and the other study authors think that the microbiomes of Americans might have somehow changed between the 1980s and now. Itís well known that some types of gut bacteria make a person more prone to weight gain and obesity. Americans are eating more meat than they were a few decades ago, and many animal products are treated with hormones and antibiotics in order to promote growth. All that meat might be changing gut bacteria in ways that are subtle, at first, but add up over time. Kuk believes the proliferation of artificial sweeteners could also be playing a role.

The fact that the body weights of Americans today are influenced by factors beyond their control is a sign, Kuk says, that society should be kinder to people of all body types. "

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...=pocket-newtab

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Interesting. I would guess they might be undercounting the amount of movement in the 80s compared to now. Screen time has exploded. They probably didn’t count going to the library as exercise. We would go weekly in school and downtown. Now just look it up on screen. Out shopping now just look it up, before one might walk a few blocks or at the mall to find a product. Talked a Union construction guy who said the guys /gals they get today many times they can’t last till noon because they can’t get off their phones. After dinner walks were very common, still happens but not as frequent.

3. Collapse Details
    Resident Preditor Matt Gottshalk's Avatar
    Fitness is 85% nutrition, 15% "working out".

For most people in the U.S., "fitness" means "Fit'n this pizza in my mouth".
    Matt Gottshalk
    Director of Production
    BPI.tv

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    100 percent agree mcgeedigital, but if your active you aren’t hanging out twenty feet from the fridge getting bombarded by commercial urging one to eat crap.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    Interesting. I would guess they might be undercounting the amount of movement in the 80s compared to now...
    I generally walk to and fro my local supermarket. I can choose different routes but usually take the one along the Instracoastal, which also takes me close to the local K-8. About a month ago, as I walked by, I saw a dozen girls playing a 5 vs. 5 soccer match on the school artificial grass pitch, with two small wheeled goals about 30 yards from each other. The goalie closest to me wasn't paying any attention to what was happening in front of her. She was, as you might guess, too busy looking at her smartphone.
    Last edited by DLD; 02-12-2021 at 05:33 AM. Reason: grammar!

6. Collapse Details
    Several times driving home after sundown on four lane road I’ve had to slam on breaks or change lanes because a pedestrian head down looking at phone just stopped and was so engrossed in phone were oblivious to traffic.

7. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    More people smoked in the 80’s too... that’ll keep you thinner, not that I’d recommend smoking. Besides, ok, maybe folks today gain more weight on the same food, but it’s also true that people just eat a heck of a lot more nowadays... this constant munching just didn’t happen as much back then. In any case, today’s fat epidemic is not down to exotic factors (as they say in the study, at most it accounts for 10% excess weight and we have a whole lot more obesity than that compared to the 80’s), people just eat more and move less.

8. Collapse Details
    What do we feed livestock to fatten them up?

Grains.

We feed them lots of carbs and they balloon outwards.

What has become the backbone of modern, western diets? Carbs, carbs and more carbs. Grains (often highly refined), and sugar added to almost everything. That's the reason we're expanding ever outwards. The "sedentary lifestyle" line is almost completely irrelevant in comparison - no amount of exercise can compensate for the crap we're eating every day (many of us under the misguided belief that we're eating "healthy").

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    It's because we don't have Reagan's Presidential Challenge Fitness Test to help us gird ourselves through olde-timey fitness routines to combat the Russkies like in Rocky IV

That, and screen time.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    Fitness is 85% nutrition, 15% "working out".
    I'd say 85% nutrition, 15% physical activity. Physical activity isn't necessarily, or exclusively, working out. Staying or walking in nature, even local park and/or sea-shore are essential. (Luckily I live in a village and have a dog who needs walking twice a day).

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast