Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    In my humble opinion, here's one YouTube channel that is doing it right.

Probably because I consider this guy to be more of a filmmaker and less of a YouTuber.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I’m confused, I don’t seem to be getting these problems and YouTube present me with pretty targeted ads and some have been even useful. My only gripe is a few ads that last 20 minutes and as I run multiple monitors livening one window up to click through YouTube ads is something I often don’t do. I have on the other computer been running experiments on music videos to see if there’s any revenue benefit when the statements come through from these long ones. I select a very unusual territory in the vpn then play a specific video with the full ad and in a different territory with just a click away, and at some point they will appear in the stats.

3. Collapse Details
    I don't see masses of it, but it's around. The way YouTube tries to figure out what you want - "the algorithm" - seems to treat different people very differently. It seems very bad at de-prioritising stuff that doesn't contain much actual content; it just sees popularity. Tricky to get right, I suspect.

In the end it's a familar problem with big business. YouTube as an organisation doesn't have the same priorities as its userbase. YouTube wants to sell the absolute maximum possible amount of advertising, all other considerations secondary, to improve its three-month results. The audience wants to watch interesting videos. Sometimes these needs overlap but let's not fool ourselves that YouTube and its audience want the same thing.

P

4. Collapse Details
    I once scrolled through the YouTube Trending videos, and couldn't imagine anyone wanting to watch such idiotic, obvious clickbait videos. I seriously doubt that those videos attained popularity by merit, they'd probably only have a couple views, had YouTube not promoted them for some inexplicable reason.

I understand that people have different tastes, but if YouTube's Trending list is a genuine reflection of societies interests, than the world's in a worse state than I thought it was.

Project Farm is an example of an excellent YouTube channel, no clickbait, and no selling out to sponsors or advertisers.
    On the filmmaking side, KINETEK is the best channel I've run across, but I'm still waiting for part III of Matthew's filter series, I guess I should be patient, it's only been 5 years.

P.S. I'm a Millennial, but I'm not sure that I fully qualify, as I text in complete sentences with punctuation, don't like social media (I'm only on FaceBook for family), and watch YouTube primarily for instruction/education rather than entertainment.

5. Collapse Details
    I get a kick out of the tutorial ones with those before and after pics where the before pic is actually a pre damaged photoshop version of the finished version. Then in the tutorial they work on a different video that has minimal damage and how they 'correct' it with the results often being very unnoticeable from the original, blamed on YT compression sometimes.

As an example only-> (There are too many on YT). Not judging the techniques per se, but the phony intro visual 'tag'...eg
    How to Reduce Video Noise and Make it more Neat with Premiere pro HD RECOMMENDED
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    Using Firefox, the extension in question is called Unhook. It probably saves me at least two hours of mindless clicking a day. Here's what it allows you to do:
    Yes, I do like the look of this! Just loaded it to give it a run. Another Firefox extension I find useful is:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ook-container/

Chris Young

7. Collapse Details
    The sheer volume of YT ads is getting ridiculous. It’s commonly every 5min. The content is stretched out, if you need to watch a few videos on a subject and rewatch sections, eats up a lot of time and you’re constantly getting interrupted with ads.

Jared from Fro Knows Photos did a behind the scenes video showing how much he makes and how monetizing works. On the one hand I understand that for channels who do this full time need to be compensated for content and entertainment they provide. Compared to traditional media sources they’re underpaid.

As far as clickbait Tony & Chelsea have talked about the pressure the YT algorithm put content providers to use clickbait titles and photos to get clicks. So instead of “Sony A1 review” you get “5 Reasons Why You need to buy the Sony A1”
    Last edited by Peter C.; 02-11-2021 at 05:38 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Many people in media (of all forms) are expertly trained liars, massaging the truth into a financially-beneficial narrative, or creating a false narrative to be “first.”

Nothing new aside from the current popular format.

Deweytruman12.jpg
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...eytruman12.jpg
    Last edited by mcbob; 02-11-2021 at 06:39 AM.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    The sheer volume of YT ads is getting ridiculous. It’s commonly every 5min. The content is stretched out, if you need to watch a few videos on a subject and rewatch sections, eats up a lot of time and you’re constantly getting interrupted with ads.
    Yep, it's reached parity with cable TV and magazines... mostly ads, fluff, ads masked as useful content, ads masked as fluff, and occasionally the accidental genuine concise content that sneaks through to tease you into viewing the surrounding ContAdFluff.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

10. Collapse Details
    I compiled a YouTube music playlist, and one of the songs had a 45 minute ad on it, and I thought 2 minute TV infomercials were long, a 45 minute ad on a 2 minute song is absolutely ludicrous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast