Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38
  1. Collapse Details
    #11
    Senior Member chris f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,484
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Fascinating. I wonder if you'd get the same color shift if you shot in C-Log 2 on both cameras, or some other picture profile.
    Will try this out if I can borrow the C70 again. Something interesting to note is that during my tests I also shot the C300mkiii in raw and then placed the appropriate Wide DR LUT that Canon provides in post and as you might imagine… none of the three images match! Interestingly though the C300mkiii raw with the LUT applied matches the C70 more closely than the C300 internal Wide Dr.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #12
    Default
    To sort out the confusion with mentioning of multiple copies of lenses, did you test the cameras with the exact same lens?

    You know, firstly attached to one camera and then to other?


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #13
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdir View Post
    To sort out the confusion with mentioning of multiple copies of lenses, did you test the cameras with the exact same lens?

    You know, firstly attached to one camera and then to other?
    "Both cameras had the same picture settings, recording settings, and the exact same lens."


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #14
    Senior Member chris f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,484
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    "Both cameras had the same picture settings, recording settings, and the exact same lens."
    *Correction: same lens, multiple copies. These tests were done with the cameras side by side at the same time using two Canon EF 50mm 1.4 lenses.

    I was able to get my friend’s two C70s today and in my retests I’m going to test all 3 cameras one at a time with the same copy of the Canon EF L 50mm 1.2 lens so I can rule the lens variable out of the equation.

    That said,that would be a pretty wild variation between the two copies of the original lens to see that much difference in exposure and color rendition, no?


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #15
    Senior Member chris f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,484
    Default
    In my new tests I’ll shoot each camera in Wide DR, Log 3, and Log 2 and will also shoot the C300MKIII in raw as well to see if those produce any different results. Like my first test I will also shoot with and without the built-in NDs to see if those are causing any shifts as well.

    Anything else I should consider in testing?


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    163
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    In my new tests I’ll shoot each camera in Wide DR, Log 3, and Log 2 and will also shoot the C300MKIII in raw as well to see if those produce any different results. Like my first test I will also shoot with and without the built-in NDs to see if those are causing any shifts as well.

    Anything else I should consider in testing?
    Maybe try Wide DR in a few different color matrix settings? Production, Video, and Neutral?

    Have you checked to see if the “color matrix tuning” settings were the same on the C70 and the C300? In theory, if you pointed both at a color chart, you should be able to manually compensate for the shift with the C70.

    You could also try saving a CP file from the C300 and installing it on the C70. This can be done in the CP menu.

    I still think it’s weird that Canon hasn’t updated their LUTs for the new cameras.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #17
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Ericson View Post
    Maybe try Wide DR in a few different color matrix settings? Production, Video, and Neutral?
    Now that Ben says that, I do recall in the past week or so hearing someone say that if you put the different Canon camera models into their “Neutral” color profile that it should match them all up but it specifically needed to be “Neutral” to work. I can’t remember who / where I heard that or I’d give them credit. Plus, I don’t want to take the blame if that doesn’t work

    You may have already done that but it may be worth a try. If this worked, it should solve the color issue but I wouldn’t think it would affect the luminance difference. That may boil down to the how they’re processing the information off the sensor. I know they’ve advertised the C70 as the same sensor as the C300 MkIII but I also wouldn’t put it past them to pull their punches just a little to give the more expensive camera body the edge.

    Like you though, I do feel like there should be some simple menu options to match all of the colors from this various new crop of Canon cameras; obviously the luminance will differ based on the sensor / processing in each camera body.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Ericson View Post
    You could also try saving a CP file from the C300 and installing it on the C70. This can be done in the CP menu.
    I’ve really taken to doing this with my pair of C500 MkII’s. When prepping for a shoot I just setup one camera and then transfer all of the settings over to the second camera body. It’s so simple and there’s no worrying if you didn’t match up some of the more minute settings like Color Matrix for example.

    Can you do this between different camera bodies / models? I wasn’t sure since there are bunch of unique settings / functions to a certain camera body. If so though, that would be amazing. I only have the C500 MkII’s so I can’t test it.
    Jeremey
    --
    "That's just my opinion...I could be wrong"


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #18
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    11,457
    Default
    Not that this is very relevant to Chris' quandry but our C200 and C300 MKII also look surprisingly different. They dropped some of the fine tuning Matrix settings from the C200 that are on the C300 MKII
    but even at as close as you can get to matching all settings, the C200 is lower contrast and less punchy than the C300 MKII generally. Wish I was a better colorist. Even with my kindergarten level
    CC skills, I have gotten them to match close enough for clients although all of us would see the subtle differences.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #19
    Senior Member chris f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,484
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Ericson View Post
    Maybe try Wide DR in a few different color matrix settings? Production, Video, and Neutral?.
    Good idea, will do. I did a quick test yesterday with my C300MKIII on all three of those modes to get a general idea of what they’re doing. Pulling the clips into premiere and looking at the scopes and RGB waveform Production and Video were dang near the exact same look, whereas the Neutral was warmer, shifted towards magenta, and the image and especially the skin tones were more saturated aka more Canon-y.

    Jumping in the studio today with all three cams to run them through all modes. Should have a pile of data to sift through this week...


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #20
    Senior Member chris f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,484
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalinnovations View Post
    Now that Ben says that, I do recall in the past week or so hearing someone say that if you put the different Canon camera models into their “Neutral” color profile that it should match them all up but it specifically needed to be “Neutral” to work. I can’t remember who / where I heard that or I’d give them credit. Plus, I don’t want to take the blame if that doesn’t work
    Will test this out today, based on my preliminary tests my gut tells me that C70 @ Production w/ C300 @ Neutral will get the images the closest in camera.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •