Thread: Keto diet

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I dont think body craves volume, I think body craves calories (especially protein) and micronutrients

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    Nutrition science has been moving slowly toward personalized interventions (as has been all of medicine). One of the many reasons nutrition science has been such a mess with contradictory studies and recommendations all over the place, because only now do we finally appreciate that what might be optimal for Bob might be suboptimal for Richard and disastrous for Mary.
    Trooth.

Anecdotally, my wife dropped about 50lbs once she learned that dairy and carbs weren't her personal friend and essentially cut them from her diet. She went from pre-diabetic with a heart condition after child #2 to picture-perfect health on her last checkup. Plus she's unbelievably hot, so....

Conversely, I'm a total creamaholic. I'd mainline half-and-half while blasting the Dead Milkmen. Never adversely affects me. But, feed me a soda with HFC, and it obliterates me. Same with canned tomato products.

Don't ignore the inner caveman... if you try it and it makes you feel bad, don't eat it again.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I dont think body craves volume, I think body craves calories (especially protein) and micronutrients
    When you're on a Keto or low carb diet you are much more in tune with what your body craves; feel hungry - you need more fat, have a headache - you need more salt etc.

At first the guidance can seem counterintuitive, especially as we, in West, have been sold a pack of lies about food for decades and nutrition has only recently started to be taken seriously by our healthcare providers. You really have to trust the advice and be honest with yourself.

For anyone interested I'd suggest reading up on the basics here:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto#avoid

And watching a few of this guy's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIm...1Mz2AuOt6wRSUw
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    Conversely, I'm a total creamaholic. I'd mainline half-and-half while blasting the Dead Milkmen. Never adversely affects me. But, feed me a soda with HFC, and it obliterates me. Same with canned tomato products.

Don't ignore the inner caveman... if you try it and it makes you feel bad, don't eat it again.
    Canned tomato products sounds like a histamine reaction? Tomatoes are high in histamines and so are canned foods.

I used to like cream but tried some lactose free half and half in my coffee today and man did it feel heavy in the tummy in comparison to whole milk. And I think dairy generally makes me bloated, but the resultant water weight is quickly shed if I cut out dairy.

I don't think soda is good for anyone

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    At first the guidance can seem counterintuitive, especially as we, in West, have been sold a pack of lies about food for decades and nutrition has only recently started to be taken seriously by our healthcare providers. You really have to trust the advice and be honest with yourself.
    This is true. I read a book about how the fat-is-bad hypothesis become gospel truth among American policy makers around 1960 without ever having been proven.

I used to be low carb but now I eat lots of fruit, a decent amount of veggies, and a fair bit of white rice. My white rice intake could probably be reduced but it's a clean fuel source.

The only thing about going strict low-carb (and I think this is true for other people as well as me) is that you might burn through the nutrient reserves you've built up from plant food in the first few months, so you do great until those are gone.

I feel like I'm pretty in tune with my cravings now

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I used to like cream but tried some lactose free half and half in my coffee today and man did it feel heavy in the tummy in comparison to whole milk. And I think dairy generally makes me bloated, but the resultant water weight is quickly shed if I cut out dairy.
    I was having GERD on the regular. I would wake up in the night with my chest burning and have to chug Gaviscon to get back to sleep. I quit putting the 33 percent cream in my coffee and it went away, so I cut most dairy out of my diet. I can still do cheese in moderation, but any milk or cream and I'm guaranteed to get heartburn. I really like Cashew milk. Been using that in my coffee instead, although I've switched to to decaf since my transient ocular stroke.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    . Been using that in my coffee instead, although I've switched to to decaf since my transient ocular stroke.
    I got my coffee down to 1 weak cup a day recently and was sleeping so well and feeling good, but then we moved this month....just when I thought I was out, coffee pulled me back in....

There are some good nutrients in cheese...vitamin k maybe? I can't remember... and as long as I go lactose free, I digest milk pretty well

8. Collapse Details
    100% fruit diet + calorie deficit will definitely result in weight loss, as will 100% carb diet, I think we intuitively know this by looking at impoverished nations across the world. The question is HOW MUCH of a deficit. Even that study I quoted is based on an average which means its possible one person gained weight from a fat and another LOST from calories (and probably has a number of other control errors in it). It is definitely a person to person thing and YMMV. Most of this stuff can only map rough trends... I think it's more than mystical voodoo and less than absolutism.

In any case, for that very same reason I personally would start moderate (if you blindly mapped your macronutrients, a lot of people would fall somewhere around 50/25/25). From there, a moderate shift to 40/40/20 + cutting sugar/cheap carbs, processed foods, and looking for lean protein + healthy fats + exercise including resistance training is the closest alignment to the basics of "eat well round diet, exercise more". And if that wasn't working for my genetically or lifestyle wise, look at moving from there to another technique such as keto. Or something which supports other dietary needs and health issues. I've also heard good things about trying Whole30! I think many people select a diet before understanding macronutrients and/or before understanding what works for them, more just sort of throwing darts at a board.

The one big thing which I think is closer to an overlooked universal is the idea of focusing on body composition (supported by protein). So many people focus simply on a calorie deficit and losing pounds, but the body is not made up of pounds, it is made of fat + muscle... and muscle weighs more than fat! And depending on the calories you are eating and the workout routine, it's possible to lose fat + gain muscle by eating OVER your burned calories per day (yes, you really can have your cake and eat it too, as long as your cake is something like chicken breast).
    Last edited by filmguy123; 02-05-2021 at 09:19 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    I love Dave's Bread. It was only a few months ago that I found it. I had tried many other kinds:

• Ezekiel bread is good for you but you have to keep it frozen, which means every time you want it, you have to put it in the toaster. And it doesn't taste as good as Dave's.
    • Bakery bread tastes best but doesn't keep more than a few days.

With Dave's, it tastes better than everything but bakery bread and lasts as long other mainstream breads.
    Agreed! I tried Ezekial and I just... couldn't... I am weak lol.

My wife can't handle the red powerseed with 1g of sugar. So she gets yellow, which definitely tastes better. The Yellow one is the best "gateway bread" to healthier I've found. Green IIRC has the most whole grains, but it also has 5g of sugar per slice, so I've gone with red to try and keep my total sugar <30g a day. Eating it with something like Nutzo butter with a little pink salt on it is plenty delicious for me personally.

Wife still needs the yellow, ha!

The other thing I love that I forgot to mention in Banza Chickpea Pasta! Made from Garbanzo beans. Try boiling this up for pasta, add salt/pepper/lemon. Or rosemary, bison on a skillet, spinach, squeeze lemon. Or whatever. You can also make a bunch and keep it in fridge for a few days. Also at Costco. (EDIT: Banza Chickpea pasta something like 30% less carbs, 40% more protein, and more fiber than normal pasta. Also, they're complex carbs. Win win win.).
    Last edited by filmguy123; 02-05-2021 at 08:40 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Really depends on the fruit and how much...too vague of an example to pinpoint what and if anything else changed in her life (including the benefits of the new 10lb workout which could have been the plateau-breaking variable).
    Yes, that's exactly the point Protein supports muscle growth, muscle passively burns fat.

And no, you don't need to cut out fruit. Fruit is good for you. If you aren't eating it you should. Point is she wasn't paying an attention to macronutrient breakdown, just pure calories and weight watchers said "fruit is cheap!" (on the point chart) and she loves fruit so fruit it was. She lost a ton of weight at first but couldn't hit her goal until bringing ratios into something that helped support weight loss (that is, having more muscle ratio in the body).

Put another way: Build muscle (lift + protein), let muscle help do work for you. (work smarter, not harder?)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast