Thread: Keto diet

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Keto diet
    Anyone tried keto? Thoughts on it?

2. Collapse Details
    Have to be wired a certain way to keep it up...usually inspired by something (job, person, jealousy).

Most people fail, feel sick doing it. Should get medical advice before attempting it.

A 20-30g banana could be almost your entire carb limit for the day so borderline impossible to sustain for 99%.

Some try something less extreme like just limiting carbs to 150-200 grams per day, which could be a serving or two of a side at lunch or dinner.

3. Collapse Details
    I know people who have done it and had success. It can be efficient like many forms of dieting. I still personally think the best way to do diet and exercise is sticking to an intentional but well rounded diet that provides nutrients the body needs in all metrics.

Understanding all calories are not created equal is key. Focusing on lean proteins 40% of calorie make up, slow carbs as 40% of make up, and healthy (monounsaturated fats) as 20% of makeup is a good starting point. Massively reducing sugar intake is very helpful. Weight and resistance training is a good baseline foundation to focus on over cardio/running, because building muscle increases metabolism and passive calories burned. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is very effective in combination with weight training, i.e., 7 minute workout. If performed correctly, HIIT can be more effective for metabolism than much longer runs.

Something like a diet focusing more on Chicken breast, wild salmon, eggs, whole grains, legumes, low sugar low fat greek yogurt (definitely an acquired taste), vegetables/spinach, olive oil, etc. + HIIT 5-6x/week + Weight Training 2-3x/week -- Personally before trying a less natural diet like Keto, I would start with more traditional/natural things like this.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Within the last few months I’ve found spot on bread with one net carb that tastes like bread ( aunt millies). Lupin pasta is starting to show up and is very good (5 net carbs) but pricey. A lot of foods that drive folks crazy on keto are now available with effort and money ( some of it is dirty keto).

5. Collapse Details
    No. But do limit carbs, not counting fruits and vegetables, such a breads, cakes and so on. Rice and beans are OK in proper doses. Fats are no good for a weight loss, so consume proper cuts of beef, chicken, fish and so on.

And establish an exercise regimen. Swimming is great. For men, light-to-medium weightlifting is good too. At the very least, walk.

PS And cut out sugar and salt. If you can. Ditto for alcohol.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    I know people who have done it and had success. It can be efficient like many forms of dieting. I still personally think the best way to do diet and exercise is sticking to an intentional but well rounded diet that provides nutrients the body needs in all metrics.

Understanding all calories are not created equal is key. Focusing on lean proteins 40% of calorie make up, slow carbs as 40% of make up, and healthy (monounsaturated fats) as 20% of makeup is a good starting point. Massively reducing sugar intake is very helpful. Weight and resistance training is a good baseline foundation to focus on over cardio/running, because building muscle increases metabolism and passive calories burned. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is very effective in combination with weight training, i.e., 7 minute workout. If performed correctly, HIIT can be more effective for metabolism than much longer runs.

Something like a diet focusing more on Chicken breast, wild salmon, eggs, whole grains, legumes, low sugar low fat greek yogurt (definitely an acquired taste), vegetables/spinach, olive oil, etc. + HIIT 5-6x/week + Weight Training 2-3x/week -- Personally before trying a less natural diet like Keto, I would start with more traditional/natural things like this.
    Keto is natural or do you think humans have always consumed vast amounts of sugar, carbohydrates and processed foods?
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Keto is natural or do you think humans have always consumed vast amounts of sugar, carbohydrates and processed foods?
    Hasn't bread been around since practically forever? I know it wasn't sliced until someone invented that.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    If you read my post that 1 dimensional I don't know what to tell you.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Hasn't bread been around since practically forever? I know it wasn't sliced until someone invented that.
    Today's American diet is pretty much 70 years old.
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net

10. Collapse Details
    If you read my post that 1 dimensional I don't know what to tell you.
    It was primarily this bit:

Personally before trying a less natural diet like Keto, I would start with more traditional/natural things like this.
    A low carb high fat diet is natural and there are plenty of studies that support its effectiveness.

To answer Eric, aiming for 30-50 carbs a day, avoiding sugar (including most fruits) and avoiding starchy foods and processed foods is quite easy if you're cooking for yourself - not so easy to do if you are out-and-about. Going full Keto (lesss than 20 carbs a day) is tough.
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast