Thread: Keto diet

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    A lot of celebrities (for example) after starting to gain weight then seem to lose weight via semi-starvation diets paired with excessive exercise
    Which makes me ask the semi off topic question- how do actors gain and lose so much weight for roles? And what are the consequences?
    And could anybody (DLD=> Hugh Jackman?) quickly put on the major muscle actors do, given working with the same trainer and diet?

And is it true NorBro shoots yachts and parties on his R5 in the Hamptons? Shirtless?!?
    ("That's what I hear")

2. Collapse Details
    People with money have teams around them who assist them with all of this stuff...personal trainers, chefs, doctors, anabolics/other drugs.

So many of us would be able to put on the same amount of muscle if our lives were dedicated to doing it. A major incentive for them is millions of dollars (or even hundreds of thousands), and they have the time to do it.

Normal people don't get the money or have the time, so the majority of the world's results speak for themselves.

However, with that said --> genes are still #1 and you can only go so far based on your own makeup. Obviously, a skinny 5'6" man weighing 145lbs will never look like a prime 6"7 300lb Hulk Hogan.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    ha...yeah, there's also the 0.1% of really thick guys with bellies (not all of them) who are incredibly strong on another level. They do very low reps 1-2-3 with extreme weight (plus all of the carrying and pulling, etc).
    Maxing out at 1-3 reps is where you start tearing ligaments and the muscles. The way I felt was that I'd move up in weights if I can get to 18 reps and I tried to never go below 10. I quit lifting when I got to the 50 lbs single hand and I couldn't lift it more than thrice. But, hey, I walked for about 2 1/2 hours today/tonight. That's somefeenk.

Quote Originally Posted by groveChuck View Post
    Which makes me ask the semi off topic question- how do actors gain and lose so much weight for roles? And what are the consequences? And could anybody (DLD=> Hugh Jackman?) quickly put on the major muscle actors do, given working with the same trainer and diet? ...
    Not discounting andro or creatine, it helps to be in a good shape to begin with. Most star performers are in a reasonable shape. Then they get private trainers/gyms and work to get into a shape that a project might require. When the cameras start rolling, they'll likely to take the same stuff that bodybuilders take before competitions to get that chiseled look (adding Hydroxycut or something similar).

It ought to be noted that, unless you're Russell Crow, a top shape body can last years with only minor maintenance.

PS. Of course, one can get bigger faster with steroids, much like the East European athletes did for about forty years. Those muscles usually come off after the cycle is over.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Maxing out at 1-3 reps is where you start tearing ligaments and the muscles. The way I felt was that I'd move up in weights if I can get to 18 reps and I tried to never go below 10. I quit lifting when I got to the 50 lbs single hand and I couldn't lift it more than thrice. But, hey, I walked for about 2 1/2 hours today/tonight. That's somefeenk.
    The 1-3 is for the strongman/woman competitors, not regular people.

The magic number for building muscle is between 6-12, depending on the body part. Variety is best per usual...but 18 reps is more on the side of conditioning than muscle building.

It's great because you're exercising, but just too light to do anything at that point after you get your initial gains.

5. Collapse Details
    Have any of you tried the Strong Lift's 5x5 workout program? It seemed appealing to me because it was simple and short.

6. Collapse Details
    In general, 5x5 regimens are universally loved in BB.

IMO, they are best to begin at an intermediate level, but you can always start light with them though.

Consistent lifters will do it once a year for a few months among their other programs...so important to switch it up.

7. Collapse Details
    I have a friend who is on it and has lost weight. He also runs about 10 miles a day ;)... Personally, I feel like most trendy or extreme diets are not long term sustainable. My personal philosophy is eat (mostly) plant based foods, in moderation, and limit your sugar and salt intake. And of course exercise...

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    My personal philosophy is eat (mostly) plant based foods, in moderation
    Sounds like Michael Pollan

9. Collapse Details
    Did about 100 private and small group reformer Pilates sessions about twelve years ago. For me it was really fun and worked well. Lots of ways to stay in shape with money , time and desire. Was ready to start back just as craziness hit. I still use my ladder barrel fairly regularly to stretch.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    I have a friend who is on it and has lost weight. He also runs about 10 miles a day ;)... Personally, I feel like most trendy or extreme diets are not long term sustainable. My personal philosophy is eat (mostly) plant based foods, in moderation, and limit your sugar and salt intake. And of course exercise...

This isn't "trendy," this is stuff backed-up by science and advised by physicians.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast