Thread: Keto diet

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Wow this thread has people more riled up than 8k. I don't care for these fad diets, but people seem to need the latest extreme diet to motivate themselves. The more extreme and exotic the better. I guess eating your veggies like your parents told you to do as a kid is so boring and uncool.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Cut out anything but natural ingredients. If it has MSG, corn syrup, or just lots of ingredients that the average child does not recognize, don't eat it.
    MSG got a bad rap in the U.S. from an anti-china smear campaign. While I doubt there are huge health benefits, just like salt it's completely safe in moderation.

That's no hall pass for chinese takeout either. It's not any one ingredient but the volume and ratios - too much oil, salt, MSG, sugar that goes with ridiculous amounts of noodles/rice. Their goal isn't to make sure you don't get diabetes but to satisfy the customer the same way mcdonalds or taco bell does.

Your point number 6 is important - take back control where possible.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I don't think there is anything better than the tried-and-true combination of exercise and a caloric deficit.
    Adding to that I think understanding that not all calories are created equal is what cracks the code for a lot of people. 2000 calories of lean chicken breast vs 2000 calories of white bread is not the same. From there, realizing one big reason Keto is effective is because it cuts out all the crappy sugars and fast carbs.

In some ways, Keto/Atkins/Paleo are all riffs on this.

Filmguy's starter 2 cents... Go to Costco. Fill the cart with:

24 pack crate of eggs
    Crate of liquid egg whites, the one in individual packages
    Frozen Vegetables of all types
    Cases of black beans
    Cases of brown rice & quinoa
    Frozen Wild Alaskan Salmom
    Chicken breast
    Organic Sliced Turkey
    Bison
    Dave's Killer Good Seed (red) bread with only 1g sugar per slice
    Nutzo butter
    Lemons
    Kirkland Greek Yogurt with super low fat/sugar
    Low sugar whole grain granola
    Favorite fruit to eat sparingly for dessert
    Sweet Potatoes
    Avocado
    Olive Oil

Start breakfast high protein high fat. Make a couple eggs scrambled, but up the protein by adding egg whites from the carton. Have the Daves Killer whole grain bread with Nutzo part. Have some greek yogurt with low sugar whole grain granola.

Buy a sous vide and vacuum sealer, package your chicken breasts into the vac packs and Sous Vide @ 145 F. Eat with olive oil, lemon, S&P. Have with black beans and/or brown rice, quinoa. Try sliced turkey as mid day snacks. Bison is similar in makeup to turkey but tastes very similar to ground beef.

Don't get cream and sugar in your coffee, drink it black. When you go for a milk based espresso, stick to Cortado, Cappucinno, or an 8oz latte in moderation - preferrably unsweetened (admittedly hard to do if you order from places like starbucks).

Lemon, herbs, spices go a LONG way to adding flavor.

I love Late July Multigrain chips + guac for a healthier snack that still feels like a snack.

Etc. etc.

Do 7-minute workout every day except a rest day. Do weight training 2-3x a week on a proper whole body rotation, don't skip leg day, those muscles will burn fat for you. Like a passive income stream of stock footage. Don't waste any muscle groups.

For a healthier alternative of Norbros craving you could always sub mashed potatoes for sweet potatoes (complex carbs) with your steak, and choose New York cut over Ribeye for less saturated fat.

But also, have a cheat day every week and do what you want. No need to go crazy, just chill and eat what you crave and have been missing within moderation. Always best to avoid fast food junk food and processed food.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    The mashed potatoes was just a random example with that particular meal (steak), lol.

I definitely like sweets and I have eaten an entire Carvel ice cream cake after barbell squats, which is my most hated exercise.

But leading up to the squats and after the cake would consist of practically no food which is why the 2000 calorie cake was still a deficit.

___

P.S. Definitely not normal and unhealthy and not recommended, but those are the kind of balances that are mentally necessary for me to be able to train continuously.
    Last edited by NorBro; 02-04-2021 at 07:15 PM.

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    Potatoes are my kryptonite. Nothing puts the pounds on faster for me. And I love me some potatoes and french fries. The magic of keto for me is that after a week or so I do stop craving sweets and starches. The steak and veggies totally satisfies and I barely get hunger pangs between meals. When I eat carb heavy meals, I usually end up snacking a couple hours later. No, it's not for everyone. People's bodies are different. My body really responds to it.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Daves Killer whole grain bread
    I love Dave's Bread. It was only a few months ago that I found it. I had tried many other kinds:

• Ezekiel bread is good for you but you have to keep it frozen, which means every time you want it, you have to put it in the toaster. And it doesn't taste as good as Dave's.
    • Bakery bread tastes best but doesn't keep more than a few days.

With Dave's, it tastes better than everything but bakery bread and lasts as long other mainstream breads.

8. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Well, what are you trying to accomplish by going on a keto diet? Lose weight? Control epilepsy? Have a life-long sustainable diet? Interventional diet for a specific goal?

Nutrition science has been moving slowly toward personalized interventions (as has been all of medicine). One of the many reasons nutrition science has been such a mess with contradictory studies and recommendations all over the place, because only now do we finally appreciate that what might be optimal for Bob might be suboptimal for Richard and disastrous for Mary.

And there you have it. Making broad generalizations assumes that you’re somewhere in the average cohort, because when a study finds X - it finds it for a given population, and the outliers are always ignored by the pop press. Odds are that you might fall into the average for some factors but not for ALL factors. Nobody - nobody! - is average along all axis. So necessarily, many study findings are going to be irrelevant or contraindicated for a particular individual.

And that’s true for nutrition, exercise, medication, supplements and various lifestyle elements. Heck, there are centenarians who smoke, never exercised and had pretty poor diets - cause, see, it’s about the individual. Sure, superbroad generalizations are probably applicable to most (plant based diets, avoiding tobacco, exercising etc.), but again, not each and every recommendation.

So giving advice to the general public - or the readers of dvxuser - is really shooting in the dark. The recommendations might work for some, but most certainly will not for many others.

It all depends on your individual makeup, genetic, epigenetic, gut microbiome etc, etc., etc. So unless you know your profile pretty well, it’s all just a wild gamble. And medicine today is still too primitive to give us advice that’s well tailored to an individual. It truly is a crapshoot. For example, there’s the glycemic index, but it turns out that no two people respond the same way to the same food - Israeli scientits showed definitively that there are wildly different BG responses to various foods, rendering the glycemic index next to useless. And so on.

Do you know your makeup that intimately? If you don’t, you’re just randomly gambling on any given diet. Keto might be useful f.ex. if you have ApoE4 - but the fat should be mono and not saturated. But what if you’re. ApoE2? What if you won’t benefit from burning ketones. Do you have cancer, or are you vulnerable to cancer - you may need a dramtically different diet.

So, throwing out recommendations here is pointless. You can give testimony as to how this or that diet worked for you for this or that reason (keto and weight loss f.ex.), but that’s you, and it says nothing about what the effect would be on someone else.

I like the doctor’s perspective. A few broad strokes is probably the best we can do in the way of general recommendations, but keto is such a specific diet that it’s pointless to speculate about whether it would be “good” for a specific you.

But of course, that’s not what anyone wants to hear, everyone loves to recommend diets and relay their experiences and there’s always a shiny new diet on the horizon. This has entertainment value but no medical value. But then again, entertainment is valuable too for QOL - so have at it!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Keto pantry staples that might be helpful. Black soybeans (one net carb ), radishes not pantry staple ( faux fries, hash, ah gratin, mashed), ground Lupin ( faux daal, cheesy grits, stir fry), 1 net carb bread 35 calories ( many are coming out all over country). Australia is really making great Lupin products which are just becoming available in the states.

10. Collapse Details
    I think it pays to take a more holistic look at your diet and lifestyle.

For example, I think that intermittent fasting can be beneficial and done casually.

Finding forms of exercise that you enjoy is important.

I've done variations of paleo/low-carb dieting. Now I eat pretty casually but incorporate the lessons I've learned. I don't think it pays to be too extremist or limited.

I think it's bollocks that saturated fat is bad for you or especially fattening.

I've seen studies with mice (probably mentioned in the book I read, Perfect Health Diet) that showed that mice consumed the fewest calories when balancing their fat/protein/carb intake at ideal ratios (which they decided themselves). Limiting any of the 3 led to a disproportionate increase in the others.

I think refined sugar and grains are generally bad. I think that freshness and quality are important (good quality bread better than bad). I generally avoid grains except white rice because they're digestively problematic and not very nutritious. But I still eat pizza and bread and whatever if it's around.

I think it's really important to listen to your body's cravings and eat that or the healthier version of that (like if you want something sweet, you probably need potassium and vitamin c, so fruit will be good but if you drink soda you're really screwing yourself).

Today I went shopping and felt like an omelette so I just loaded everything into my cart that I felt like eating. (Mushrooms, broccoli, orange pepper, carrots, grape tomatoes, salsa and guacamole...I make messy omelettes). And I didn't skimp on the eggs, I probably had 6 in my portion. I feel great right now.

I more or less subscribe to this paradigm:

PHD_Apple_plate-cropped.jpg
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast