Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    What is this, more racial diversity hiring thread fallout? I stopped reading that topic after my last post there. Despite what some people may think, that topic was just a legal question too, and as I'd said in my last post there, I got the answer and am now done with that topic.

People need to stop reading too far into things. These aren't veiled implications. I'm asking straightforward questions, I'm getting answers. Not much more to it. A topic about throwing away manuals is about as harmless as it comes. Next thing people will be asking if my keto topic has veiled implications. Yes, it's the implied stomach fat veiled behind my shirt.

yes, it was only your having inquired regarding old manuals that I took issue with. Thatís honest. [/s]
    Big sources matter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    Ha Mr Moore, did you ever dream that your 10.231 th post on this forum would be about throwing away or keeping manuals and boxes?

It is a bit of a cleanup dillema: keep it or throw it away. Throwing away the box becomes a statement: "I will keep this item forever"

So far my 1303 th post.
    Well when some of your kit is 10,000 posts old its time to upgrade it?

I really dont like getting rid of stuff.. because I buy stuff that should work.. for ever.. the FS7 in the out tray, well I wanted an AF camera when I bought it!

Things like my SoundDevices 702 I bought before the FS7 .. and have no desire to get rid even if it is becoming an antique. It still does the job.

My EX1 might go.. but Im not that sure its still basically OK.

Hell, playing with my Nikon Z6 im digging into bits I bought to rig out my 5dm2 in 2008.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Sorry, you are not beyond any criticism of your statements and behavior here. Particularly when it is detrimental to the forum, which your contributions often are, imo. Hell, they are detrimental to your own career. Maybe you should listen to the numerous professional peers trying to get you to see that.
    No, I'm not asking people to stop criticizing me. I'm asking YOU to stop CONSTANTLY criticizing me. There is criticism and there is constructive criticism. I don't feel your criticism is constructive and just feel it is uncharitable because for some reason you in particular have something against me, which is why I've asked you numerous times to stop.

And my career is doing just fine, thank you. You act like I'm a financially struggling whippersnapper who's big mouth on a video forum where most of my clients don't even hang out is making me constantly lose work resulting in my dire financial straights and that's pretty far from the truth. I don't need or want your help, and the best way you can help me is by leaving me alone. Go find someone else to "help."

You act like you're some savior of DVXuser protecting the helpless inhabitants from the posts of Eric Coughlin. If you disagree with something I say you can voice your disagreement in a kind way, but just please leave the personal attacks out of it and stop nitpicking every little thing I say like you did in this topic. I mean, seriously, I suggest mixed marriage and you imply I've said something super offensive when there is nothing offensive about that and then I make a joking reference to animals getting stuck in clutter like they have in hoarder shows and you again go off all "offended." This is ridiculous. Leave me alone.

I feel like I'm dealing with a stalker where you keep telling them to leave you alone but they keep harassing you, and it's even more deluded that you think you're helping me when I've constantly asked you to stop.

What is this, more racial diversity hiring thread fallout? I stopped reading that topic after my last post there. Despite what some people may think, that topic was just a legal question too, and as I'd said in my last post there, I got the answer and am now done with that topic.

People need to stop reading too far into things. These aren't veiled implications. I'm asking straightforward questions, I'm getting answers. Not much more to it. A topic about throwing away manuals is about as harmless as it comes. Next thing people will be asking if my keto topic has veiled implications. Yes, it's the implied stomach fat veiled behind my shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    yes, it was only your having inquired regarding old manuals that I took issue with. That’s honest. [/s]
    You took issue with my second post in this topic. The first post, which is the one Publimix had quoted, is the one I was talking about in this quoted post of mine.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 02-04-2021 at 12:49 PM.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Well when some of your kit is 10,000 posts old its time to upgrade it?

I really dont like getting rid of stuff.. because I buy stuff that should work.. for ever.. the FS7 in the out tray, well I wanted an AF camera when I bought it!

Things like my SoundDevices 702 I bought before the FS7 .. and have no desire to get rid even if it is becoming an antique. It still does the job.

My EX1 might go.. but Im not that sure its still basically OK.

Hell, playing with my Nikon Z6 im digging into bits I bought to rig out my 5dm2 in 2008.
    I'm pretty bad about selling gear myself. I did a big Ebay sale of various items I wasn't using anymore a few years ago. After all the effort put into selling everything, maybe I made a similar amount of money in those hours of work as I'd make doing a video shoot, where the video shoot is more fun though than Ebaying. So, I mainly only sell used items if they're more expensive items as the smaller items aren't worth the time to deal with it.

5. Collapse Details
    I also sometimes have a hard time selling gear, it can be a time consuming process between pictures, correspondence, shipping or meeting and often feels not worth the time compared to just doing a shoot especially when already busy.

But I do keep all of my manuals, even though I will invariably find the manual online as a PDF even if I am at home. I also download the PDF to my phone and keep my manuals with me in my pocket this way just in case I need to access when gone and don't have internet. I use stackable Sterilite plastic bins and a label maker for the side of bin for storing manuals (as well as other items). I have the bins on a shelf efficiently stacked with other items in the gear room. So all manuals for video gear go in a certain box and don't collect dust. Inside the box they are sorted between cameras, lens, support gear, audio gear, etc.

It's an old habit that may not be strictly necessary anymore... but I already have the system setup and it feels wrong to toss the manual of a multi-thousand dollar anything.

6. Collapse Details
    Also.. lets talk FS7 - honestly $1500 for mine, with no handle, no chminey and 6 years hard use and the rig will move to my next camera

Now you need a 4k50_10bit for an interview second angle.. locked off ? well its almost worth keeping even if you have a shiney FX69 or canon.

Ive really not wanted to sell anything - sure I have bought a lot of stuff like my recent tilta follow focus.. not to upgrade but my previus follow focus failed

7. Collapse Details
    I keep all my old manuals sealed in their original plastic baggie, tucked within the original box kept in a rubbermaid tote within the attic or shed... on the off chance I sell something. Don't laugh, it's happened.

PDF versions sit in a DropBox folder viewable from any of my computers or phone, so I don't have to dig through some manufacturers arcane file heirarchy and register with my blood type just to find out where the headphone volume setting is.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

8. Collapse Details
    I'm pretty bad about selling gear myself. I did a big Ebay sale of various items I wasn't using anymore a few years ago. After all the effort put into selling everything, maybe I made a similar amount of money in those hours of work as I'd make doing a video shoot, where the video shoot is more fun though than Ebaying. So, I mainly only sell used items if they're more expensive items as the smaller items aren't worth the time to deal with it.
    Yeah me too and I think that's basically true about the time value so maybe it makes more sense to do it during a slow week. The bigger issue for me is clutter/storage but if you have unlimited storage it's less if a big deal. Damn the resale value on so many items just plummets over time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123