Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I'm just skeptical of how much a manual adds to the resale value of an item. While I do agree that an item having the manual and box makes it seem better kept, just how much of a price difference is that making in the sale? If you sell a lens that new costs $1500 and it comes with the box and manual, maybe you can sell it for $900 instead of $850? It's hard to say. Now the question is, is it worth it to hold onto the box and manual for years so that you could theoretically gain $50 on resale? I guess that comes down to how much space you have in your home and how much you dislike clutter.

To those who say they keep the manuals for when they have no Internet, I gotta ask, are you really taking the manuals with you on shoots? The C300 Mark II manual is relatively thick and would take up a fair amount of space in a camera bag. My car tends to be crowded enough in many cases, not that a manual would take up all that much space in a car. But are you really taking several manual with you to shoots on a regular basis? And if the manual is left at home where you presumably have Internet, then that no Internet reason is not really applicable if you don't have the manual with you on shoots.

2. Collapse Details
    Why ask the question when you know the answer?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    Why ask the question when you know the answer?
    What is this referring to?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Do you keep or throw away the manual when you buy an item, such as say a camera?

Most manuals are available online, so a hard copy of many manuals for many types of equipment could just result in more clutter in the house. But maybe some like having a hard copy available.
    Sometimes manuals are included in used sales, but I doubt they have much effect on the resale value of an item.
    Is this a question or an opinion or is it a statement? Is it provocative or are you just interested?

For your information I have one drawer with all my manuals. No big deal.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Is this a question or an opinion or is it a statement? Is it provocative or are you just interested?

For your information I have one drawer with all my manuals. No big deal.
    It's clearly a question. What on earth could be provocative about the original post? I recently bought a bunch of equipment and am currently dealing with a large pile of empty boxes and manuals and trying to figure out what to do with it all, so posted a topic to get people's opinions. Pretty straightforward here.

6. Collapse Details
    Just checking. Not all your posts are.

My question also was just a question.

Sometimes I keep the box. That is handy when you want to sell the items again. Makes transportation easier.

7. Collapse Details
    Just checking. Not all your posts are.
    What is this, more racial diversity hiring thread fallout? I stopped reading that topic after my last post there. Despite what some people may think, that topic was just a legal question too, and as I'd said in my last post there, I got the answer and am now done with that topic.

People need to stop reading too far into things. These aren't veiled implications. I'm asking straightforward questions, I'm getting answers. Not much more to it. A topic about throwing away manuals is about as harmless as it comes. Next thing people will be asking if my keto topic has veiled implications. Yes, it's the implied stomach fat veiled behind my shirt.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 02-04-2021 at 11:53 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Sorry, you are not beyond any criticism of your statements and behavior here. Particularly when it is detrimental to the forum, which your contributions often are, imo. Hell, they are detrimental to your own career. Maybe you should listen to the numerous professional peers trying to get you to see that.
    Big sources matter.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Im winding up to selling some stuff and clearly boxes manuals and the like both add value and simplify shipping. I have no use for such items but see that keeping them is helpful.. ive thrown most of mine.

10. Collapse Details
    Ha Mr Moore, did you ever dream that your 10.231 th post on this forum would be about throwing away or keeping manuals and boxes?

It is a bit of a cleanup dillema: keep it or throw it away. Throwing away the box becomes a statement: "I will keep this item forever"

So far my 1303 th post.
    Last edited by Publimix; 02-04-2021 at 12:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast