Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Challenging Yourself
    My buddy and I live a few hundred miles apart and decided it would be fun to help each other grow by giving each other filmmaking challenges. After the challenge is given, the other person has two weeks to make a short film. We're not expecting any of them to be award winning, but it's getting us off our butts and making movies.

Here's the video where we issue our first challenges.

Since I just moved out to the Flathead, I really don't know people out here to help me out. So I created the Flathead Film Society on Facebook and was surprised how many people are interested in doing projects and such. I'm pretty excited to work with a bunch of passionate people. It'll be great to come together and help each other out on our projects.

Is anyone else doing this? Creating small challenges for yourself and using Facebook to find other locals? I'm curious what your experience is.

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

2. Collapse Details
    Yay! DVXers that are actually making films!
    Leagues more significant and important than
    debating the relative merits of sensor size or
    fixed pattern noise.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    It's fun to just make stuff and not care about the gear! I got mine all shot last week and my buddy did his this weekend. We're looking forward to the result!

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

4. Collapse Details
    Post it up if you can!
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    For sure. I think we'll be posting our shorts in the next week Speaking of challenging, we visited my wife's family for Christmas and I had the urge to shoot a short using their property. Problem was I didn't have my camera, any gear, or props. So we used Filmic Pro on my iPhone and staged a finger gun shootout. It was silly and fun, and overall a great exercise in letting the imagination go.

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

6. Collapse Details
    So on the topic of challenging, I've got my short shot and graded. Being lit by a candle, it's darker than anything I've done before. I uploaded to YouTube as a test using the YT preset in Resolve 16 Studio and it's bad. The film is so dark that I'm getting all kinds of nasty compression artifacts. Anyone have any ideas on how I can reduce that?

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

7. Collapse Details
    I remember ages ago someone recommending adding noise/grain to your video. The noise apparently reduces the homogeneity of the image, which in exchange makes the codec make smaller macro blocks. The big macro blogs are one of the causes of the compression artifacts.

I am not too convinced, but it makes sense.

The dude from Film Riot also suggests uploading at the highest possible resolution, since youtube gives more bandwidth at higher resolutions and this leads to less compression. When he uploads something dark he goes "Please, watch at 4K, it is dark and will look terrible at lower resolutions".

8. Collapse Details
    Congrats on your challenging challenge!

So your edited master (h264?) is clean, but you get the artifacts strictly from YT?

Yes, highest resolution and bitrate, and grain can help up to a point (less so on the YT end of things).

But here's a free trial of Filmconvert. Pull the rip cord and go granular:
    https://www.filmconvert.com/download

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the tips on the grain guys. I'll give FilmConvert a try. I had wanted to master in 1080, but I did try a 4K and it did look significantly better. What are your suggestions on the standalone vs the Resolve plugin?

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

10. Collapse Details
    Vimeo is another option. They don't appear to have the YT compression issues.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast