Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best podcasting mic used in untreated room?
    Preferably one that blocks off as much off-axis noise as much as possible, and under $200. Recommendations welcome!

2. Collapse Details
    The Rode PodMic is actually OK. You'll want to have it close to your mouth and might want the boom arm to go with. Those are US$100 each. Sort of a poor-man's RE20 or SM7.

https://www.rode.com/microphones/podmic
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

3. Collapse Details
    An SM58 or Beta 58 live performance vocal mic would work, but the talent will need to be very, very close to it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Use a headworn mic. They provide the best isolation from the surrounding noise and reflections while allowing you to move freely. It gives a consistent sound no matter how you move. Brand name versions can be had for cheap. Other podcast mics require you stay in one position for consistent sound and isolation and presence.

The whole podcast thing with people sitting around a table with these big microphones on big booms blocking the view of each other never made any sense to me. It goes way back to the day of the early days of DJs on the radio. Then there is the whole 'I need to wear headphones to hear myself and everyone else that's in the same room with me'. Again, it goes back to the DJ days, but it's so stupid and unnecessary. It's a lot of extra expense and clutter for no reason.
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Good point from Paul. I was presuming with was going to be an audio podcast (I guess that's the old-fashioned use of the term) without a camera/video component. In that case, a dynamic mic such as the PodMic works fairly well and sounds better than cheap headset/earset mics. Better headset/earset mics are a different matter and are good choices; I'll agree with you on that.

On the cheap end, I've worked with the US$100 (or so) models from Point Source Audio and thought they were not terrible but kinda meh. I haven't worked with the more-expensive line of Point-Source mics.
    https://www.point-sourceaudio.com

I own and prefer Countryman E6 and E2 earset mics, and have worked with their H6 headset mic. Sound great, but cost is more like $300+. I'd presume DPA's headset/earset mics are similarly good and expensive.
    https://countryman.com

Oscar SoundTech and Rode also have headset mics that might offer a good price-performance balance, but I haven't worked with those.

Paul (and everyone) any good bang-for-the-buck headword mics you'd recommend?
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

6. Collapse Details
    I use the E6.

Yes, the headworn mic won't give you that RE20 sound. For some, that's an important factor and I understand that.

7. Collapse Details
    If we're talking video podcast, I'm coming around to Paul's position of getting a headset mic. Unless you want that RADIO ANNOUNCER!! sound and look. With a headset/earset, you'll have constant distance from mouth to mic, and that'll leave you with two hands free for whatever. But alas, I don't know what inexpensive headset mic to recommend... (And all that said, if you can scrounge a SM58 from a musician friend for cheap, you can definitely get rolling with that).

Check out this two-minute video. It shows three basic approaches to "podcast" mics. There's Howard Stern eating his mic (looks like a Neumann TLM 103 condenser) that gives him that deep Voice of God sound. Also note that the mic is on a boom arm and he always holds the mic to his mouth. That lets him move around a bit and still get that deep sound. I don't follow Stern much, but IIRC, none of his guests or cohosts get to use that mic; he alone gets the super-deep sound. Robin, his cohost, appears to be on a Shure SM7b that's on a desk stand. Her voice sounds good, but without the depth of Stern's (if allowed, she and the crew could tweak that). The guest (Aniston) in this particular clip is wearing a headset/earset mic; looks to me like an earset mic held in place by the headphones. I can't tell what model mic the guest is using, but probably something decent (ie- Countryman, DPA, Shure, etc). The guest's voice sounds fine and she has both hands free.

Since I guess Stern's show is primarily for radio, camera placement is secondary. You probably wouldn't have mostly profile shots and wouldn't need to have the mics so visible and in the way. But if your worried about room noise or reflections, and want to be able to move around a bit, an approach like that used by the host (Stern) or the guest (Aniston) might better than the desk-stand used by Robin. And as Paul implies (I think), you may not need headphones.

So think of how much you want to move and what look/sound you like. And how important the video component is.

Last edited by Jim Feeley; 01-25-2021 at 12:45 PM.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

8. Collapse Details
    Also keep in perspective that television has managed to do good sounding table interviews/conversations with 2-5 people for decades without the need to clutter the table with mics and ruin women's hair styles with headphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NanA8PQ1-1w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMUs9KPMqj8&t=507s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz0bjLk9rUo
    Last edited by Paul F; 01-25-2021 at 04:35 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Sure, I've run audio for innumerable interviews, panels, and roundtables. But many of those were in controlled or treated environments, not perhaps the type of rooms like Dylan's facing. And more significantly I was using more that $200 worth of equipment and monitoring audio so the hosts/guests/panelists didn't have to (same with those videos). :-)

I'm not advocating emulating the Stern approach, but it's neat that a short video shows three styles of voice mic'ing (though in a studio environment).
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

10. Collapse Details
    What's the best shogun mic for a gardening podcast? Btw, the room has 20ft ceiling and concrete walls. My budget is $50 :-p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast