Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    A couple short films I shot and acted in 13 years ago with a crappy point and shoot camera that had video on it as an afterthought, in combination with YouTube's poor image quality at the time. 240p!

As I'd put in the YouTube description at the time, "'Pre-visualization' meaning very low production values, shot on a poor quality camera, and quickly put together. Basically, it gets the story across."

The camera recorded to a spinning disk, like a small CD.

I made a couple of these too, back in the day. But you are a much better actor than I ever was.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    That was actually quite funny, using up most of your batteries while waiting in line.
    . This was 3 years ago or so when I well had an FS7 nice lenses et al. so it was a choice to use a cra.ppy camera.. although on a day out a cine rig is not a fun thing.

3. Collapse Details
    One from last weekend:

There's nothing quite like a CCD camera with a stabilized 600mm lens that fits in your pocket.

4. Collapse Details
    Do 1st gen video DSLRs fall into the "Junk Camera" category? Soft line skipping down sampling, Moiré artifacts, low bitrate, inefficient compression, sub HD output over HDMI, no clean HDMI out, no usable exposure aid, BT.601 color on Canons, etc.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    Do 1st gen video DSLRs fall into the "Junk Camera" category? Soft line skipping down sampling, Moiré artifacts, low bitrate, inefficient compression, sub HD output over HDMI, no clean HDMI out, no usable exposure aid, BT.601 color on Canons, etc.
    We're leaving "junk" ambiguous for now because it's a relative term but I'm sure they do. I'm looking at it as basically anything older and inexpensive that I'd never bring on a paid shoot. It's a very new group but so far there have been posts about the Fujifilm J20, Panasonic SDR-H200, Panasonic GF3, JVC-KY1900, among others.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    I still play around from time to time with an Olympus ELP1 and some old OM Zuiko glass. Limited to 720p30, but the image is awfully pretty and it's easy to tote.

Deployed my daughter's (formerly my) GH2 on a job this past year, so not sure it qualifies as "junk" yet
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    I still play around from time to time with an Olympus ELP1 and some old OM Zuiko glass. Limited to 720p30, but the image is awfully pretty and it's easy to tote.

Deployed my daughter's (formerly my) GH2 on a job this past year, so not sure it qualifies as "junk" yet
    Nice. I don't know the ELP1. Does it have full manual control? I have an Olympus XZ-1 point and shoot that I've been meaning to take out and it definitely doesn't.

Personally, I wouldn't consider the GH2 "junk" but I'm sure it will get there eventually. It's still a lot easier to use than a lot of this stuff. Charles Papert's work on Key & Peele turned me onto the idea of old tube cams and now it's an itch I can't wait to scratch, ridiculous workarounds and all.

8. Collapse Details
    The GH2s, and especially hacked ones, hold up well, although they don't have as much dynamic range and low light ability as modern cameras.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12