1. Collapse Details
    Sony A7S II zero post best picture profile
    Hello users,

I'm looking to use the a7s II for something that requires no post work at all. Any recommendations for the best profile/settings straight out of camera?

Going for a true to life look, or at least this camera's closest equivalent. Recording environment will be a studio so WB will remain the same (around 5600K).

Thanks team.

2. Collapse Details
    Rec.709 should be fine, since you will have direct control over the studio lights. Based on my reading, ITU709 gamma and Still color mode will give you the best out-of-camera color. You might find Erik Naso's article interesting.
    If you happen to have a video color chart and a monitor that support vector scopes, you could try to calibrate your camera's profile. Along that line, here's an interesting video on matching the Sony mirrorless cameras to the FX9's S-Cinetone.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your help IAMU!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    Rec.709 should be fine, since you will have direct control over the studio lights. Based on my reading, ITU709 gamma and Still color mode will give you the best out-of-camera color. You might find Erik Naso's article interesting.
    If you happen to have a video color chart and a monitor that support vector scopes, you could try to calibrate your camera's profile. Along that line, here's an interesting video on matching the Sony mirrorless cameras to the FX9's S-Cinetone.
    Imamacuser-

very helpful, especially for a sony novice like myself.

stay well.

rob
    smalltalk productions/nyc
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

5. Collapse Details
    The Extrashot (YT) video listed above that describes matching a A7S III to Cinetone is worth trying ... he remaps a bit of the color
    phase ... easy to do and actually works well ... wont be the same with the A7sII colors but may find a way to get the colors you
    want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Rat4xxkUg

Here is his revised A7III profile video ... might look at both to see if you can get a A7Sii match ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRYG5QKXRS4

I used the first in an attempt to improve the out of camera skin tones on a RX0II that I was using while
    my 1DX III was sequestered at Canon CPS for 10 weeks ... they later replaced the camera. The 1 inch sensor
    had too much noise when using SLog 3 and 8bit fell apart with any grading ... The following video is an
    extreme test for that camera ... and it did not do the best ... but the skin tones were very close to life.
    Last edited by docmoore; 01-24-2021 at 10:43 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    The Extrashot (YT) video listed above that describes matching a A7S III to Cinetone is worth trying ... he remaps a bit of the color
    phase ... easy to do and actually works well ... wont be the same with the A7sII colors but may find a way to get the colors you
    want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Rat4xxkUg

Here is his revised A7III profile video ... might look at both to see if you can get a A7Sii match ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRYG5QKXRS4

I used the first in an attempt to improve the out of camera skin tones on a RX0II that I was using while
    my 1DX III was sequestered at Canon CPS for 10 weeks ... they later replaced the camera. The 1 inch sensor
    had too much noise when using SLog 3 and 8bit fell apart with any grading ... The following video is an
    extreme test for that camera ... and it did not do the best ... but the skin tones were very close to life.
    Thanks Doc,

Out of his a7s3/a73 settings, I wonder which one would work better with the a7s2. I'm not very hopeful but it'll be worth trying.

I reached out to Paul (extrashot) and will report back.

7. Collapse Details
    Probably the A7III as it is perhaps a bit closer to the older A7s2 or the new a7s3 profile would be adequate for the A7III.

The profiles are a five minute edit of the existing PPs so you can apply both ... ie edit 2 of the PPs one for each variant, film the same scene with both and see which one is the best

Once you have determined that you can copy the best to the PP of the loser and then modify it to see if you can fine tune it for your needs.
    Ambient light temperature will have an impact so try to factor that into the mix when making the profiles ... consistent 5600K simplifies things for you

8. Collapse Details
    Ideally, you or someone else would employ the same color-match techniques on an A7S II, as the color can differ significantly between cameras, even when they use the same sensor.