Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    MixPre 6 SD cards
    I purchased a mixpre 6 (version 1) the other day and I need to order some media. If memory serves me right mixpre is very picky. I looked up on their web site to my surprise San Disk Extreme Pro isn't supported. Is this a speed thing? Any recommendations for a value option? Btw I don't plan on recording more than 4 iso tracks. Is there a chart for how many hours you can get out of 64gb?
    Last edited by Peter C.; 01-18-2021 at 03:47 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    I’ve actually been using the Extreme Pro 64GB 170MB/s cards without any issues... but I somehow missed that they were on the unapproved list. Whoops...
    Knoxville-based location sound mixer.

Instagram @sonolocus

3. Collapse Details
    I found this from 2019 on their Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    I’ve actually been using the Extreme Pro 64GB 170MB/s cards without any issues... but I somehow missed that they were on the unapproved list. Whoops...
    https://www.facebook.com/sounddevice...7711515141764/
    "We are starting to hear of reports of problems when using the unapproved SanDisk ExtremePro 170MB/s 64GB and 128GB SD cards in our recorders. With this in mind, we have brought some cards in for analysis. Initial findings today show that these cards have a quite different handshake process than most other SD cards we have tested. We know this card is popular at the moment so we are investigating adapting our write process to achieve compatibility with this card. In the meantime, we highly recommend not using it. Where possible, please use cards on our Approved Media Lists."

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-...ed-media-list/
    If you look at the bottom of the page.

Oddly they approve of slower version
    64 GB SanDisk Extreme; SDXC/UHS-1,V30, U3, 150MB/s (Model # SDSDXV6-064G-GNCIN)
    Last edited by Peter C.; 01-18-2021 at 06:00 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Sometimes media manufacturers change designs/the way they make the media and then they don't always continue to play nicely with equipment and certain cards that were approved and worked, then are removed. Of course the cards that were made before the manufacturing changes still work, but the cards made after the changes, but still labeled exactly the same, don't.

I actually used to scoff at the "recommended media" lists and figured as long as I was buying a quality, name brand card that met the specs or better and I was good. What finally convinced me was actually when I bought the SD 664 when it came out and the name brand, high quality, high speed cards that I bought, but weren't on the approved list, did not work properly. After that, I started going by the approved list, if there was one.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    R&G's right: Manufacturers sometimes change the design of cards without changing the model number. I recall a case a few years ago, in the Sound Devices 6-series era, with Delkin. Here's a brief overview from SD's site:

https://www.sounddevices.com/6-serie...ed-media-list/
    "Sound Devices has worked directly with Delkin to identify an intermittent Media I/O issue with newer Delkin CF 500x and CF 700x cards. Delkin has confirmed that a recent change to these two cards is most likely responsible for the errors. Cards containing KZ in the serial number are susceptible to this issue and should not be used. Cards containing VB in the serial number will function correctly and are approved. Deklin CF 1000x and 1050x cards do not experience this issue and may continue to be used."

Around that time, IIRC, SD started selling cards with their own branding. They weren't cheap, but they were reliable (at least, they were for me). When I talked to a couple of people at SD about it, they said the cards weren't a profit center, but they wanted to be sure that there was at least some cards they had control over. https://www.sounddevices.com/accesso...er=354&submit=

And in semi-defense of the card makers, it's such a commodity business. Gotta be tough to figure out market openings (ie- emphasize burst transfers for stills, or sustained transfers for video/audio....looks like it's hard/expensive to do both), and then if you come across (or make) some parts and/or a design that are bit cheaper and only "a little bit" slower, how can you resist when such (presumably) thin margins?

Anyway, the Delkin episode made me such up the extra cost of using approved media...Or at least media that lots of other people are having success with. And I just keep reminding myself that it's all so much less expensive than buying tapes and VCRs...

Just so it's handy (again), here's Sound Devices' current list of approved media for the MixPre series. Last updated Jan 15:
    https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-...ed-media-list/
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

6. Collapse Details
    Yes it seems not to be a speed issue but the smaller technical differences between cards. Regardless it's annoying since I can't think of ever having this type of issue with any other device and I've used a lot of cameras and digital audio recorders.

Someone one did tests of different cards but looking through the results only make me less confident. I'll probably just stick to the least expensive card on SD approved list.
    https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=191314.0

Edit: I found an interesting video about the SanDisk Extreme Pro. I own the 95mbs and they have replaced them with the 170mbs, guess what they're the same card! The 170 is not faster than the 95.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Y2ueVfHUQ
    Last edited by Peter C.; 01-19-2021 at 04:13 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    What I found sort of amusing, when I had my issues with my 664 and the first batch of cards that weren’t on the approved list, it was the MP3 recordings that were messed up. The much larger and higher bit-rate WAV’s were fine. And it didn’t matter if I recorded the MP3 on the SD or CF card. And vice-versa: the WAV was fine on either CF or SD.

And like you said, Peter, it wasn’t a speed issue, it was a technical issue/incompatibility in the architecture of the card.

8. Collapse Details
    I take back some of what I said. I was unaware these card manufactures can add proprietary things that can cause problems. Atomos has had problems with certain Samsung SSD models for the same reason. Thsese companies try to differentiate themselves and justify a premium for their product. If you watched the video above you can see that SanDisk Extreme Pro can only achieve it's advertised speeds if you use their card reader. This must mean their employing some sort of method behind the scenes to make it work this way.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 01-20-2021 at 06:20 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    I just bought a couple of cards that are on the SD list for my Mix Pre III. They've been great, even though I had never even heard of the brands. I have not tried my SanDisk Extreme Pros,
    why fight the tide, just use what SD recommends and life will be good.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I just bought a couple of cards that are on the SD list for my Mix Pre III. They've been great, even though I had never even heard of the brands. I have not tried my SanDisk Extreme Pros,
    why fight the tide, just use what SD recommends and life will be good.
    This has always been my thing... What good does saving a few bucks on cards do you if you come back with nothing on them or the data is corrupted? "Uh, sorry client. The recommended cards were too expensive, so I bought cheaper ones and they didn't work." "What? No I didn't give you a discount on my rate, because I bought cheaper media." "What do you mean you're not paying me or ever calling me again?"

I can't remember right now which media company had the the slogan that was something like, "Your memories, our media".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast