Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I’ve been doing lighting for over forty years and although most was theatre rather than video, some things don’t change. There have always been premium products in every type and power, and for me, working with tighter budgets but owner operation, which is always gentler and kinder to kit, I have a rule. Lower spec, is always cheaper and buying quantities of cheaper products is always better. Renting in the expensive kit when really needed is best. My stock of Fresnels for example. I still have in use six 2K large ones from 1981. I have 4 1Ks from the same era. Side by side with my 4 arri 1Ks, the Arris are harder and less easy to blend but brighter. The 750w Source 4s with their narrow angles cut through the wash from the bigger Wattage Fresnels. My tubular TV reflector soft lights have gone now and cheap LED panels -6 of them, do a better job, without heat or weight, but each one is dimmer. For me, 6 are better than one expensive one. Moving head lights I think I’ve got 16 RGBW wash lights. I could have 4 Robe units that are similar but a bit brighter for the same money. 16 can throw a hell of a lot more light and 16 let’s me do thing 4 could never do.

People told me that cheap movers were crap, and would be unreliable. Out of the 16, one has no red, and one is a little slower. I hire in once a year some clever top of the range six grand a piece heads for ten weeks. The hire company supply spares, because my crew have to swap one out of the ten or so every few days. If you bought a cheap stereo from Walmart this reliable for $100, you’d be back banging on the counter. We accept expensive technology is unreliable.

Although lots of people disagree with my system, I shall continue to buy more cheaper gear, and never less number of expensive ones when it’s my money. I’m happy spending other people’s money on them, of course. Cheap lighting is rarely unreliable. It’s just dimmer, perhaps a little random in beam quality, and more fragile. That’s it. Oh, and totally lacking kudos, style and generating laughter, snide comments and derision from some in the industry. I’ve never let this bother me.

More kit of lower spec is my preference. Others do it differently. That’s fine.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I sort of feel like COB and barn doors are a bit of a miss, though. I haven't worked with any high-end COBs, but in my experience COBs are too soft to begin with to be effectively cut by barn doors, although they do make an impact but not a complete cut and with a softer edge to the cut
    Agree. My godox cob is basically a blob of light.

My lupo fresnels are much more cuttable.

Barn doors are imo often too small though, you cant beat a 4.4 black board on a seperate stand!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    they do - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...RoCXy4QAvD_BwE

also from godox - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...xoCLKQQAvD_BwE

I sort of feel like COB and barn doors are a bit of a miss, though. I haven't worked with any high-end COBs, but in my experience COBs are too soft to begin with to be effectively cut by barn doors, although they do make an impact but not a complete cut and with a softer edge to the cut
    Oh yeah, but I guess in this case it's like an anti-reflector!

Most LED barn doors were nearly entirely for show in the early days but some are pretty effective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBFMZb56td8&t=1m55s

Also Abe check this 2017 thread out - http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-sharp-shadows

Looks like the anti reflector is doing huge amounts of work to make the aputure light closer to a "true point source".

Does anyone else get déjà vu when posting and are paranoid they've already said the same thing many times over!?
    Last edited by rob norton; 01-19-2021 at 02:59 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Ah that's a very relevant thread to this conversation. The circle goes round and round.

That Godox I linked - that's actually an attachment for a standard 7" reflector so maybe it's like what you're talking about?

5. Collapse Details
    On the Lupo panel line... it's pretty dang easy to slap a sheet of diffusion on them if more spread is necessary. I got a pair of the Smartpanels this year and they're marvelous little travel lights just for the punch. The Superpanel 60 rivals many far more expensive 2x1, but is light enough to rig on a simple sturdy light or c-stand. I've really enjoyed them.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12