Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I Guess Lighting Companies Do Have a Sense of Humor
    Or the moved April Fool’s Day...

Or you pronounce it differently in Italian...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAI

The Kickasspanel.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/01/...el-full-color/

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I've never used a Lupo but I feel like they're a marketing gimmick based pretending they're super bright when really they just have tighter beam angles.

This is a 20w light. The Luxli Viola 5" is 15w and the Luxli Cello 10" is 32w. I have both of the Luxli's and have been happy with them. With this light falling between those two in wattage I imagine this light is similar in terms of output but nothing to write home about.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    I've never used a Lupo but I feel like they're a marketing gimmick based pretending they're super bright when really they just have tighter beam angles.

This is a 20w light. The Luxli Viola 5" is 15w and the Luxli Cello 10" is 32w. I have both of the Luxli's and have been happy with them. With this light falling between those two in wattage I imagine this light is similar in terms of output but nothing to write home about.
    That pretty much mirrors a comment on the NS review. Also saw a review on the new Aputure Amaran lights and that's how they're getting such "impressive" numbers. They showed pictures of the light beam on a wall with the new included reflector and the old reflector from the original Light Storm fixtures. The old reflector was pretty even, but the new reflector was pushing out a narrow, harsh beam with a bad hotspot. The 600d that I have, while pretty powerful anyway you slice it, exhibits the same center hotspot phenomenon with it's "Hyper Reflector", although not as bad.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    That pretty much mirrors a comment on the NS review.
    Since I had read that comment rather than mirroring it could just be straight up plagiarism. Don't tell that commenter because I don't want to get sued.

I'm seriously considering cancelling my two 600D pre-orders, my two CLAR 500 pre-orders, my one CLAR 350 pre-order, and with that $6k of lights coming out to 2790 watts of LED lighting, replacing it with a single $6400 Hive 575. You think the Hive 575 would work as a good replacement for the Litepanels Gemini 2 x 1? I'm getting tired of lugging the 2 x 1 around along with it's mini Combo stand and like the idea of a Hive 575 which has twice the wattage of the Gemini, but weighs half as much, is an awful lot smaller, and can fit on a regular light stand. The 600D could maybe replace it too, but I feel like I'll hate the daylight only because perhaps 20% of the time I use the Gemini I'm not using daylight, and 20% is enough to matter. Is it easy enough to gel the 600D? Will that not make the colors wonky to gel an LED light?

There's also that new PROLYCHT which is 300w, so similar wattage to a Gemini but with the smaller and lighter COB form factor. Still, it's larger and heavier than the Hive 575 and almost half the wattage. I often feel the Gemini isn't bright enough. Maybe a single 600D and a Hive 575 is the way to go. Kind of pricey but that could be manageable. Or a Hive 575 and a single CLAR 500. I guess I like to drool over that Hive.

I guess the way I see it, RGB COB is going to be available at cheaper prices before too long, and at that point I can either regret spending money on a daylight only light, or regret spending too much money on a light I still like and use. Not that I'd actually regret it because hopefully I'd have used the lights enough to have justified them in the time it takes for new competing lights to come to market.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    That pretty much mirrors a comment on the NS review. Also saw a review on the new Aputure Amaran lights and that's how they're getting such "impressive" numbers. They showed pictures of the light beam on a wall with the new included reflector and the old reflector from the original Light Storm fixtures. The old reflector was pretty even, but the new reflector was pushing out a narrow, harsh beam with a bad hotspot. The 600d that I have, while pretty powerful anyway you slice it, exhibits the same center hotspot phenomenon with it's "Hyper Reflector", although not as bad.
    Do we think the COB monolight LEDs with photo reflectors are the current ugliest quality of light out there? Can the 600d work with barn doors as the only attachment?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Do we think the COB monolight LEDs with photo reflectors are the current ugliest quality of light out there? Can the 600d work with barn doors as the only attachment?
    Soft light is soft light. Once you go through diffusion I don't really see the difference in different "qualities" of lights. For key lights for interviews, I'm just about always shooting through diffusion. Obviously hard lights have their place, but I'm okay buying lights that only work well when diffused.

Of course if a beam angle is too tight or the spread too spotty it can be difficult to get an even spread on the diffusion.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 01-18-2021 at 10:05 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Doesn't it make sense to have differentiated units to exploit their various strengths? You might need a buttload of light sometimes (when high wattage and multiple units come into play) but sometimes you may only have time to set one unit (when you want your best, strongest and most versatile source - the hive?) So I suppose I agree with the hive/CLAR set-up. The hive is your A unit and the CLAR (or multiple CLARs) come into play when you need a more powerful key or a brighter level all around.

Plus, I'm of the opinion that brute force is most useful for situations where you're competing with daylight but that tungsten-balanced or colored lights can often afford to be weaker.

I think it makes sense to splash out on one expensive light (the hive) and get cheap other ones (the CLARs and weaker COBs than that). Then when RGBs get cheaper, you get additional RGB units. Godox has some inexpensive RGB units coming to market now. But I still think that since you're always going to use at least one light, it makes sense to have one light you really like

8. Collapse Details
    Owning two of the original Superpanels and having tested them against Lite panels of the same watts I think I can confirm the spottyness leading to higher numbers.

Once bouncing and or diffusing the units all had the same power.

Of course for cooking a face in a sunny interview the spotty panel is acutally more useful.

---

Ive been banging on for years that professional tests of lighting fixtures should use two lightmeters maybe placed 2m apart (or of course two tests with one meter) - even mailed Luke Seerveld about it many times.

This methodology would cut past the makers of lights who hit high numbers by having hotspots. In fact it would place them at disadvantage.

The aussie guy has that video where he suggests the Forza500 is brighter than his 1.2 hmi. In the video the last test he bashes the light off the ceiling.. revealing the 1.2 light to actually be brighter when space filling. (of course!)

He is not even capable of interpreting his own data!

--

ON the lupo vs litepanel - lupo still win as the lite panels are growing way beyond 1.1 in size, One the cob lights.. I also thenk them to be excellent. But Im aware that (for instance Celeb Pike) that the new amaran200 is most unlikely to be brighter than the older apture300

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Soft light is soft light. Once you go through diffusion I don't really see the difference in different "qualities" of lights. For key lights for interviews, I'm just about always shooting through diffusion. Obviously hard lights have their place, but I'm okay buying lights that only work well when diffused.

Of course if a beam angle is too tight or the spread too spotty it can be difficult to get an even spread on the diffusion.
    I'm talking about hard lighting. Maybe they could make a reflector with barn doors..

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    I'm talking about hard lighting. Maybe they could make a reflector with barn doors..
    they do - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...RoCXy4QAvD_BwE

1535627721_IMG_1056827.jpg

also from godox - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...xoCLKQQAvD_BwE

I sort of feel like COB and barn doors are a bit of a miss, though. I haven't worked with any high-end COBs, but in my experience COBs are too soft to begin with to be effectively cut by barn doors, although they do make an impact but not a complete cut and with a softer edge to the cut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast