Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I have to say I have yet to read about anyone who is in love with their C70.
    Lots of people who like it, but not hearing from anyone who loves it.
    I just used one for the first time this week as a B-Cam to my C300MKIII on a studio shoot and then yesterday shot a ton of IQ tests for a review video Iím working on. Itís an odd bird....reminds me a bit of the C200B in a way. Itís really two cameras in one: a C300mkIII when living in tripod land, and a super duper mirrorless cam when paired with the speed booster and/or gimbal. From the couple days I had it Iíd say that last situation Iíd want to use it is run and gun / handheld. Ergonomics are wonky and no viewfinder really limit this cam to tripod or gimbal work in my opinion.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I just got this and it seems that it quickly loosens and starts to flop. I dont want to condemn it to death because I havent used it on a shoot yet and it seems like you're supposed to periodically tighten it. But it was very tight when it showed up and after 15 minutes of jamming my monitor around to reposition it on the Ronin-S side handle, it was already loose and floppy. But maybe with more gentle use it might be fine
    I find it strange that with a catalogue of a bazillion doodads, Smallrig still doesn't seem to have a monitor mount with cold shoe on bottom (like what you have linked here) and with a nato clamp on top. That is what the C70/LEYE combo needs.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    I just used one for the first time this week as a B-Cam to my C300MKIII on a studio shoot and then yesterday shot a ton of IQ tests for a review video I’m working on. It’s an odd bird....reminds me a bit of the C200B in a way. It’s really two cameras in one: a C300mkIII when living in tripod land, and a super duper mirrorless cam when paired with the speed booster and/or gimbal. From the couple days I had it I’d say that last situation I’d want to use it is run and gun / handheld. Ergonomics are wonky and no viewfinder really limit this cam to tripod or gimbal work in my opinion.
    Yeah, so far I have no complaints about the image. Looks great, colors are fantastic, etc. DGO is particularly impressive in the way it lets you explore shadow detail in post, especially for shadow-rich shots (forests, etc).

However, the ergos are not feeling right for me. Having your right hand in the handgrip strap is definitely how you will primarily support this thing in a run and gun situation and the buttons and controls do feel wonky in that situation. The worst is the combo of a wide design with all ports on the left. The HDMI port is exactly where your left hand would want to wrap underneath the cam to cradle it, especially if focusing manually on smaller lenses.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details
    That setup with the Zacuto Kamelon is very slick but with cage and that EVF, you're looking at an $8K+ setup. Plus it's no longer all that compact. At that point, you might as well get a C300iii.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    That setup with the Zacuto Kamelon is very slick but with cage and that EVF, you're looking at an $8K+ setup. Plus it's no longer all that compact. At that point, you might as well get a C300iii.
    Or a lightly used C200 for half the cost? I know RAW is large but I like it.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I just got this and it seems that it quickly loosens and starts to flop. I dont want to condemn it to death because I havent used it on a shoot yet and it seems like you're supposed to periodically tighten it. But it was very tight when it showed up and after 15 minutes of jamming my monitor around to reposition it on the Ronin-S side handle, it was already loose and floppy. But maybe with more gentle use it might be fine
    Most of the monitor mounts seem like they are fighting basic physics. If the pivot point is way below the CofM of the device trouble lies ahead. I think the classic yoke you will see on steadicams is the solution. If you cant buy it you have to make it.

While Im a fan of SmallRig they do have one problem.. allowing user designs and ending up with stuff designed by people who are not actually experienced designers. It is interesting that portkeys goodgle images is 99% of a rendering. seems like a product that was launched before any physical versions were made and tested?
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 01-18-2021 at 03:36 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    I find it strange that with a catalogue of a bazillion doodads, Smallrig still doesn't seem to have a monitor mount with cold shoe on bottom (like what you have linked here) and with a nato clamp on top. That is what the C70/LEYE combo needs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BoCtXgQAvD_BwE

+

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...xoCOpQQAvD_BwE

+

https://www.amazon.com/SMALLRIG-Rods.../dp/B00PJWZKNG

Uh oh, me and the C200 are in trouble. That durned preacher man helped us out and now this
    Honestly, I wouldn't be worried about the law on this one. By the time they catch you your wife will have taken care of you.

I know RAW is large but I like it.
    That's what she said.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 01-18-2021 at 03:55 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    Agreed. I think that cage setup with the EVF and handle looks pretty nice. I suppose it depends on your needs. If you're mostly shooting interviews or b-roll on a tripod or Ronin, the smaller size and weight of the C70 certainly has a huge advantage. The longer battery life is also great.

In terms of keeping the kit small, I think the best solution is a small loupe for the back of the LCD. Canon should have included this with the kit. The XC10/XC15 are under 1500 and both include a loupe... Maybe some sort of wireframe mount that attaches to the cold shoe or 1/4-20 on top.

I haven't done a side by side, but to me the image from the DGO sensor doesn't seem wildy different than the past C series cameras I have used. I still see unpleasant chroma noise say, on the dark side of a face when the shadows are sitting at 10 or 20 IRE.

The Clog2 is certainly cleaner, but to me it also looks quite a bit different than CLOG2/BT.709 on the C300ii. I never really shot much CLOG2/C.Gamut so I can't really comment on how that compares.

10. Collapse Details
    These EVF builds make me appreciate the built in c200 EVF, which I've been using a lot lately.

I'm thinking about long term camera operating and saving my body more and the rear EVF with easyrig lets me put it up to my eye without tilting my neck at all.

The same set up would work for c70/EVF shooters too and there's potential to use fewer rigging pieces (would just need top handle/loupe), which can help when transferring to a gimbal etc.

It won't work for everyone or every situation but just another set up to consider.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast