Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    C70 + Little Portkeys LEYE EVF and Misc thoughts
    Just got the C70 and that new little EVF from Portkeys, the LEYE.

PXL_20210113_191733825.MP.jpg

The EVF:

-Works pretty well

-the sweet spot in the middle of the viewfinder is pretty small. Shift your eye a bit around, and the image becomes distorted.

-obviously adds some bulk, but very little extra weight

-using a big beefy manfrotto cold shoe to ball joint. Can anyone suggest a more low profile way to add this right on that cold shoe?

Random musings on the C70:

-still really really disappointed there's no built-in EVF.

-after using the R6 for a few months, I really miss the IBIS. I guess that's the next great leap: IBIS plus internal NDs.

-SEEMS lighter than the c100, but not sure it actually is.

-Can't use clog2 in BT709 color. You must use cinema gamut. I don't always like using a profile that requires a technical LUT to transform the color to 709.

-Not sure why there's no CLOG-1. Wouldn't be hard to include for legacy uses.

-Shot a lot of test footage thinking the internal scratch mic was on, but it wasn't. Took a few minutes to figure out how to activate it.

-During the pre-release, Canon was saying you could mix and match any format and resolution on the two cards, but it seems more complicated than that. Only certain formats are available on card 2 based on what the mode on card 1 is set to.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the feedback. I have to say I have yet to read about anyone who is in love with their C70.
    Lots of people who like it, but not hearing from anyone who loves it.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I have to say I have yet to read about anyone who is in love with their C70.
    Lots of people who like it, but not hearing from anyone who loves it.
    Marriage between a human being and a camera is not currently legal so I personally would not recommend falling in love with one.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the write up. I didn't know that about the secondary recording mode. I have only been using ALL-I. The C70 not as exciting to shoot with as my Red, but it's a much more utilitarian camera. I've been considering this EVF as well and I really appreciate the picture of your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by drummondb View Post
    Can anyone suggest a more low profile way to add this right on that cold shoe?
    This body type is just really not conducive for low-profile EVF placement. Do you like to shoot from the chest, with your eye pressed into the EVF?

You could add a cheese plate/helmet of some kind to C70's cold shoe (I hear that the original C100 top plate from Smallrig works well). Then put a NATO stick on the front of it, and then attach this: https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-mo...lamp-2205.html

That would result in pushing the height of the necessary hinge forward instead of upward, and there wouldn't be any single points of contact to twist off.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Marriage between a human being and a camera is not currently legal so I personally would not recommend falling in love with one.
    Uh oh, me and the C200 are in trouble. That durned preacher man helped us out and now this
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

6. Collapse Details
    Brilliant!

7. Collapse Details
    I like the look of this cold-shoe monitor mount, but haven’t yet had an application to try it:
    https://www.amazon.com/SMALLRIG-Tilt...dp/B082HT9K26/

8. Collapse Details
    After Wednesday that may change.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post
    I like the look of this cold-shoe monitor mount, but havenít yet had an application to try it:
    https://www.amazon.com/SMALLRIG-Tilt...dp/B082HT9K26/
    I just got this and it seems that it quickly loosens and starts to flop. I dont want to condemn it to death because I havent used it on a shoot yet and it seems like you're supposed to periodically tighten it. But it was very tight when it showed up and after 15 minutes of jamming my monitor around to reposition it on the Ronin-S side handle, it was already loose and floppy. But maybe with more gentle use it might be fine

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    After Wednesday that may change.
    You guys are weird

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast