Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It looked much better than it was. It was a small one from the grocery store that didn't still have the bone in it or the big fat cap still on it. The next one was a "real one" with he shoulder blade still in it and all the fat still on it. Turned out much better.

Those ribs look great, btw.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Yeah but just think, you could trade all that in for a VST baseplate! ;)

Man, that all looks great. Can't wait to use this thing, it's just too rainy and cold here right now to put it together. As soon as the weather turns it looks like I'll have another new, time sucking hobby. I've mostly been enjoying Sous Vide cooking for reverse sear method through the winter, which is great, but this all looks mouth watering.

Thanks for the tips, Matt. Any recommendations for brands on fire starters, charcoal, wood/pellets, etc. etc.? Amazon or elsewhere?

One other thing that has caught my eye on the masterbuilt models we have is the ability to sear at 700F+, which besides searing steaks, I've been thinking of using that for pizza. Ideally you want a 900F wood fired oven (standard home ovens tend to max out around 550F) so this is much closer. I've got a 1/2in thick baking steel for pizzas. Currently I'll preheat the steel in oven for 45 minutes, then switch it to broiler mode to get heat up more and do the pizzas in there. So I want to experiment with getting the heat cranked higher on the smoker + baking steel for some closer to Neapolitan style pizza.
    After I got my Big Green Egg, I bought a heat gun to start my charcoal.

3. Collapse Details
    Tumbleweed firestarters: https://www.amazon.com/Tumbleweed-Li...dp/B07P13MQ2J/

B&B is easily the best charcoal for normal cooking for that: https://www.amazon.com/B-CHARCOAL-OA...dp/B07R22W7HF/
    - it is also available at your local Ace Hardware.

B&B Charlogs are a bit better for long cooks like brisket: https://www.acehardware.com/departme...arcoal/8019844

Most Masterbuilt owners throw a few oak or hickory chunks in the ash pan and let the embers smolder on them for a bit more smoke.
    I bought one of these on amazon to keep the wood chunks above the ash: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082VVZ2BD/
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I have never cooked my own barbecue, because I didn't have to, because I lived in Texas. But the pics look great, y'all!

It wasn't until I moved to Chicago, ironically, that I found a sauce that I really liked.

lillys_q.jpg

Make sure you buy Hot Smoky, not just the Smoky, which they also have. The Hot one has just the right amount of kick to make things interesting --- not too much, unless you don't like spicy at all.

It is from a restaurant in Chicago named Lillie's Q, founded by a chef from South Carolina, Charlie McKenna, and named after his grandmother, Lillie.

I have a lot of pride for the barbecue in my native land of Texas, but the specialty there is brisket. And it's usually so good that putting sauce on it is kind of like putting ketchup on an expensive steak (not that I would judge). Anyway, the sauces that I've had there were kind of lame. As I understand it, it is the southeast U.S. that has a different style of barbecue, one more specialized in pork and also sauce.
    Last edited by combatentropy; 01-06-2021 at 06:39 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Yes southeast U.S. sauce has more vinegar on it.

Which tastes great on pulled pork.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

6. Collapse Details
    We usually have three main sauces in the Southeast plus a fourth out of the Alabama area. Eastern NC is known more for vinegar based, western NC more for tomato/sweet, SC mustard and white sauce(mayo) from Alabama. Even though I’m in the western part of the state, I lean more towards vinegar, but I like any sauce that is good(love a good hot/sweet sauce). There are places that have multiple sauces and some of those places I mix the sauces. There are also places that I don’t use a single drop of sauce. It all just depends...

7. Collapse Details
    This thread has gone completely off-topic (not that the topic was very serious and something I feel we should stick to) and here's my contribution

BBQ Pitmasters

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1554330/

Watch it. The parade of colourful American characters cooking delicious meals is a joy to behold.

8. Collapse Details
    I am fine with my thread going off topic. I'm fine with any thread going off topic, but especially this one, which was just for fun.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by aram View Post
    This thread has gone completely off-topic (not that the topic was very serious and something I feel we should stick to) and here's my contribution

BBQ Pitmasters

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1554330/

Watch it. The parade of colourful American characters cooking delicious meals is a joy to behold.
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    I am fine with my thread going off topic. I'm fine with any thread going off topic, but especially this one, which was just for fun.
    I’m generally fine with it, as well, and have done my part on countless threads, numerous times, either taking them off-topic or continuing the de-railing. Sometimes it’s just a gentle nudge and stays close to the original intended path and other times it’s a hard left, right or even loopty-loop with a barrel roll. It’s a natural progression like you have a lot of times with in-person conversations and regularly you end up with something even more interesting than the original topic and discussion.

BTW: the sauce that combat posted sounds damn good.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Actually, it's on-topic now that the thread name has evolved

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast