Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Camera remote control

IMG_9639.jpg

or Honda motorcycle and a year of fuel?

IMG_9640.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    5n1Z37kZwTzj.jpg

I'm not sure which price is more hilariously overambitious.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    LOL, welcome to my world
    I thought you might chime in, McGee I'm guessing you probably still have spent more money on video gear?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    Keep it clean.

Flare ups are somewhat common with it. More than with my Traeger. By far the best brisket and ribs I've made, however.

There are some good facebook groups for the smoker.

https://lss-mods.square.site/

This guys makes some decent mods for them both.

I did the firebox, manifold cover and water pan mods and am very happy with them.
    Forget boring camera gear, now we're talking Smoking!

Wow, that looks tasty Matt. I feel so outclassed with my Weber 18" Smoky Mountain. But just like cameras and gear, it's not the gear, it's what you can do with it.
    I did a killer Brisket a few weeks ago and Turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Used Mesquite on the Brisket and the Thanksgiving Bird
    and then I just used Cherry and Applewood Chunks on the Christmas Bird. The fruitwood was so excellent on the Turkey!

No efficient pellet smokers for me, Kingsford Blue Label all the way and having to get up at 3:00 AM to get my Charcoal going for the Brisket, only takes 12-14 hours for a good sized one ;-)
    All of my friends with the pellet smokers do a Brisket in like 2-4 hours, those are the Instant Pot of the Smoker world while I have my old school Weber that's like the Crock Pot, low and slow.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post

Wow, that looks tasty Matt. I feel so outclassed with my Weber 18" Smoky Mountain. But just like cameras and gear, it's not the gear, it's what you can do with it.
    I did a killer Brisket a few weeks ago and Turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Used Mesquite on the Brisket and the Thanksgiving Bird
    and then I just used Cherry and Applewood Chunks on the Christmas Bird. The fruitwood was so excellent on the Turkey!

No efficient pellet smokers for me, Kingsford Blue Label all the way and having to get up at 3:00 AM to get my Charcoal going for the Brisket, only takes 12-14 hours for a good sized one ;-)
    All of my friends with the pellet smokers do a Brisket in like 2-4 hours, those are the Instant Pot of the Smoker world while I have my old school Weber that's like the Crock Pot, low and slow.
    A steakhouse I used to go to in FL whenever I was near Orlando uses citrus wood(specifically orange wood). Dee-F***ing-licious. Some of the best filets I've ever eaten. My mouth is actually watering just thinking about it.

I'm also a BBQ guy, through and through(more accurately, a bbq snob). And there is a joint down in SC that has some of the best brisket I've ever had and I will try to go there whenever I'm even remotely close or passing by(don't care for their Q, though). Unfortunately, it's only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday and it's almost two hours away. I'll usually bring back about two pounds of their brisket and a quart or two of their grits, too(probably more butter, cream and cheese than actual grits).

IMG_2496 copy.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post

Totally agree Dan, I just picked up a Weber kettle on FB marketplace for just that reason!

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 8.39.34 PM.jpg

And because this is now a BBQ thread:

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Damnit, Matt! Meat dessert...

8. Collapse Details
    My first real attempt at a butt when I got my BGE several years ago. I think I mixed in apple wood.

IMG_3440 copy.jpg

9. Collapse Details
    That looks killer.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah but just think, you could trade all that in for a VST baseplate! ;)

Man, that all looks great. Can't wait to use this thing, it's just too rainy and cold here right now to put it together. As soon as the weather turns it looks like I'll have another new, time sucking hobby. I've mostly been enjoying Sous Vide cooking for reverse sear method through the winter, which is great, but this all looks mouth watering.

Thanks for the tips, Matt. Any recommendations for brands on fire starters, charcoal, wood/pellets, etc. etc.? Amazon or elsewhere?

One other thing that has caught my eye on the masterbuilt models we have is the ability to sear at 700F+, which besides searing steaks, I've been thinking of using that for pizza. Ideally you want a 900F wood fired oven (standard home ovens tend to max out around 550F) so this is much closer. I've got a 1/2in thick baking steel for pizzas. Currently I'll preheat the steel in oven for 45 minutes, then switch it to broiler mode to get heat up more and do the pizzas in there. So I want to experiment with getting the heat cranked higher on the smoker + baking steel for some closer to Neapolitan style pizza.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast