1. Collapse Details
    Are more people worldwide shooting 24fps now?
    I know PAL countries used to shoot 25fps and maybe most of them still do, I don't know. I'm in the US so I don't hear a lot about 25p and have never had a reason to use it myself. It seems to me like most cameras (specifically DSLRs and Mirrorless hybrid cameras) come with 24p and/or 30p as their main shooting option(s).

So I guess my question is, are more people worldwide shooting 24p now?

Sidenote: I read that most TV/computer monitors are produced as 60Hz panels, so it seems like 24/30/60 would work best with them. But I don't know how true all of that is.

2. Collapse Details
    I did a job in the 25p UK recently and as it was for a screen based company and we found out thier screens were 120 - I suggested doing the project at 30p

3. Collapse Details
    Every Euro/UK production company that's hired me this year has requested 25p
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

4. Collapse Details
    We did a live stream centered around a UHD 25p documentary for a producer in London this year so we made the entire live stream 25p.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    I know PAL countries used to shoot 25fps and maybe most of them still do, I don't know. I'm in the US so I don't hear a lot about 25p and have never had a reason to use it myself. It seems to me like most cameras (specifically DSLRs and Mirrorless hybrid cameras) come with 24p and/or 30p as their main shooting option(s).

So I guess my question is, are more people worldwide shooting 24p now?

Sidenote: I read that most TV/computer monitors are produced as 60Hz panels, so it seems like 24/30/60 would work best with them. But I don't know how true all of that is.
    *US opinion*

I would say it depends on the what you’re shooting for. 24p(23.98) is generally used for feature type stuff, doc, narrative, commercials, etc. Live, news and sports(outside of sports features/docs) are generally the realm of 60p(59.94). 30p(29.97) can go away, as far as I’m concerned, because we never shot with that motion cadence, before. When we shot 30 frames back-in-the-day, it was 30 fps interlaced, which was 60 fields, which gave us the motion cadence of 60p and what we equate to/call the “live” look. And even today, there is still misunderstanding/lack of understanding on a lot of people’s parts regarding the 30 fps frame rate. I can probably count on one hand, maybe two, the number of times I’ve shot 30p since starting to shoot HD back in 2003.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    ... I'm in the US so I don't hear a lot about 25p and have never had a reason to use it myself. It seems to me like most cameras (specifically DSLRs and Mirrorless hybrid cameras) come with 24p and/or 30p as their main shooting option(s)....
    This is four years old ... pardon, five years old but still useful ....

https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/in...ooting-speeds/

PS. It's not just PAL but SECAM as well, once you cross a certain river.

7. Collapse Details
    Time for a story? OK, a quick one.

Back on Thanksgiving 1995, I flew to Milwaukee to visit my parents. At the same time, one of my cousins from the "old country" was visiting his mom/my aunt/my dad's sister. I hadn't seen him since 1978, so it was nice to see a member of the extended family. One day, my dad decided to take him and me to a Chinese restaurant. So, he picked him up at the aunt's apartment and, since he then had to pick me up too, decided to show my cuz our family house. Once inside the residence, my dad turned on his new 27" Sony Trinitron TV and showcased it as an example of the latest capitalist electronics. My cousin shrugged his shoulders and said, "Mine is better". Well, for a long time, dad and I thought that he was bulls*%ttttting big time. However, upon further examination, he turned out to be correct. The former USSR had a French compatible SECAM system of broadcasting, which had a higher basic resolution than the much older NTSC.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    This is four years old ... pardon, five years old but still useful ....

https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/in...ooting-speeds/

PS. It's not just PAL but SECAM as well, once you cross a certain river.
    Yeah I always forget about SECAM. I hear even less about that. When I do think of it, I think of it as only having taken hold in France. Although looking at the map now, it certainly has a much broader reach.

It's a bit sad we got strapped with the lowest resolution standard here in the US, but I guess it makes no difference now since we're all in the digital (U)HD world. Although it really didn't make much difference then either since we all just lived with the system we had and didn't know much better, as your story points out.

9. Collapse Details
    So I guess the answer is, yeah lots of people still shooting 25p. lol

Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure. I wonder what the ratio of 24 to 25 productions are.

10. Collapse Details
    For TV and ordinary video people will stream, 25p works the best and avoids re-coding. I have a couple of cameras that only shoot at US frame rates and they are a pain to integrate, and always look worse when converted. 1080 and 25p are very rarely changed for me. Little of my video work goes to the US, and none of it is anything to do with Cinema - so I'm not sure if there's any benefit at all to 24fps here at all.