Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Uses for COB Light?
    I ordered my first COB light, a Godox VL300 LED Video Light on sale, and diffuser that attaches

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...led_light.html

Since I normally use panal lights such as Astra 6Xs, I was curious about uses for such as light. Sometimes I might be shooting talent in a room backlit with windows. Or in a vehicle showroom where I need to throw a lot of light. Is such a light useful for those scenarios? Seems useful for getting a lot of soft light on full body shots of talent too.
    Still looking for battery options. Are a pair of 147Wh batteries sufficient for short shoots? The big ones get expensive fast.
    ?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    I ordered my first COB light, a Godox VL300 LED Video Light on sale, and diffuser that attaches

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...led_light.html

Since I normally use panal lights such as Astra 6Xs, I was curious about uses for such as light. Sometimes I might be shooting talent in a room backlit with windows. Or in a vehicle showroom where I need to throw a lot of light. Is such a light useful for those scenarios? Seems useful for getting a lot of soft light on full body shots of talent too.
    Still looking for battery options. Are a pair of 147Wh batteries sufficient for short shoots? The big ones get expensive fast.
    ?
    Which diffuser/softbox did you buy with it? I have three of these lights as well as two VL150s and I bought half a dozen parabolic softboxe in three different sizes.
    You can always bounce the VL300 off the ceiling or off of a 6x6 or 8x8 or through it too. The VL300 is a great light, especially for the modest cost. I liked my first one
    so much, I bought two more of them the next month.

I don't use batteries on bigger COB lights, they always die at the exact most inconvenient moment. Mains power only for me.
    Unless you are shooting outside or away from AC, batteries are for lazy people. Sure, they're a bit easier
    but on many lights, they don't operate at full output off of batteries ( I dont know if the VL300 is one of these because I don't
    use batteries on the VL300) and you always have to make sure all of your batteries are charged. The VL300 probably doesn't
    last very long off of batteries either as it's fairly powerful. Do you really need batteries for your shoots or are you just wanting to
    be lazy and not run a stinger?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you Puredrifting

I have
    Angler BoomBox Octagonal Softbox with Bowens Mount (48")
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...48_bowens.html

Angler Fabric Grid for 48" BoomBox Softbox
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...id_f_boom.html

I want to use batteries for quick ease of use and partly for lazy reasons, and also because sometimes I'm out in the field away from AC power but I do not have sufficient batteries yet. I also need a battery for my Luxli Timpani (12 amp draw) so that is another reason I'm looking at batteries

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    batteries are for lazy people. Sure, they're a bit easier
    I know what you mean, but batteries are great for health and safety compliance on many of my shoots.
    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

5. Collapse Details
    IVe a godox 200.

Basically used for shooting through diffusion or bounced of a white wall or polyboard.

Battereies.. I think above 100w lights are hard for batteries Vlock are not really designed for that..

Consider floor batteries (hawkwoods Xbox, some arri) or even car/caravan leasure batts ?

6. Collapse Details
    I think for certain lights, batteries make sense. I have two of the Kamerar Brightcasts that are flexible 12" x 12" SMD bi-color panels.
    They are really handy for shooting car interiors, or in places where there is no AC. They aren't super high output but often
    enough to enhance existing lighting nicely. Perfect documentary interview run & gun type panels. One takes V-Mount and one
    takes Sony NPF. Either can run for hours on one battery.

But a powerful, high current draw COB like the VL300 with dual huge, heavy V-Mounts, I don't see the point in many cases. The OPs Timpani,
    that one makes sense with batteries, it can probably get some decent run times. I have a Cello and it's obviously a battery
    powered light although everytime we deploy it as a hair light, the batteries always die at the worst possible time in the middle
    of a take. I guess I am a traditionalist and prefer shore power unless there is none but YMMV.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    Lazy might be a little hard but I agree with the general sentiment. If you have access to ac then use it. Don't try to kid yourself, batteries to power these lights aren't cheap roughly $800-1,600 and these batteries might only last a few years. Not only are they expensive they're a pain to manage, maintain, and charge.

As for using mono lights in scenarios you describe where you're competing with other light sources, well that's called the real world and it's not easy. Based on the circumstances, budget, and what your willing to live with will determine the best approach. One approach is to remove as much diffusion as you can to increase your output to compete with the sun. If you're using diffusion then you'll be running these lights close to 100% and batteries aren't going to cut it for long.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 12-31-2020 at 08:52 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    I liked the Health and Safety comment. A trip hazard compared to a fire hazard? I think it would be interesting to seriously compare these. Aircraft crashing is rare, but the risk of fire is taken extremely seriously, because the potential is usually death. Fire means poisonous fumes, plus heat, and of course the fire itself. The risk of accidental short circuiting sufficient that the risk of batteries inside equipment is low, but to separately packed and insecure packs, potentially high. Trip hazards are usually minor hazards, trips, slips and sprains category. Fire, fumes and burning is much higher - so in a risk assessment, cables could actually be safer than li-ion battery packs. Of course, the people in charge of H&S often wouldn't;t be able to complete and effective risk assessment if one fell off the shelf and banged them on the head................ just saying.

9. Collapse Details
    Batteries/battery powered lights are like everything else: Double Edged Sword. It gives us options and abilities to lets us do things we couldn’t do ‘back in the day’, but it’s one more thing to have to worry about and manage and as Dan said, a lot of times it’s going to be a compromise on output vs using a fixture plugged into AC. If you see someone using battery powered lights, it’s usually for some other reason than they need a lot of punch.

With the exception of my Astera’s, the only time I’ll usually use a battery on a light, is because we don’t have access to AC. And with that being said, a lot of my LED’s come with battery plates already or I’ve elected to purchase and install them when optional. Because I like having options. Besides my Hives, I think the only other lights I’ve chosen not to get battery plates for, that can be battery powered, are my 2x1 Gemini’s, because I can’t really ever see using those in a situation where battery power is the only option.

10. Collapse Details
    Re: Safety. Itís funny, because thatís the second time Iíve seen that brought up in about as many days, from our friends across the pond. I wonder if itís just a difference in ďprioritiesĒ here in the US, because you donít hear it brought up THAT often and way too often you see things done in kind of the cowboy/maverick way, just to save time and money. But I have had to break it down to the client before and tell them if we did X, we had to have the certain person they didnít want to pay for, because of safety, or because of safety lack of people to safely manage those issues, itís why we couldnít do something.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast