1. Collapse Details
    Best quality to upload on youtube and Facebook from my dslr footage
    Hallo Dvxusers,
    i need your advice to get the best results in terms of quality upoading videos on Youtube and straight to my Fb page.
    I sually film with DSLR in 1920 x 1080 25p, then i render in 1080 25p (mpg2 /m2t extension). Once i have the file i drag into Handbreak and i render with the preset suggested (youtube/vimeo HQ preset). Once i upload to Youtube it appear a maximum resolution of 720. On Fb the qualit is even lower. Anybody out there that could help me?
    Thank you

2. Collapse Details
    I would render the file once out of your NLE to H.264 and upload that. Not sure about FB's video spec guidelines these days (is 720p a maximum for your account?), but some people take their HD footage and edit it in a 4K timeline and export a 4K file, or export the HD timeline as a 4K file and upload that to YouTube to force a better compression algorithm.

In modern post-production, you should only need to export your edit once (unless you have a more complicated, particular workflow).

3. Collapse Details
    To second what NorBro said, render to H.264 and upload that. If you're rendering in HD for YouTube the suggested bitrate is 8Mbps for 24-30p. I do that and have never had a complaint about video quality. You could make a jump to 4K (bitrate of 35-45Mbps I believe) but I'm not sure it's worth the extra time and hassle.

4. Collapse Details
    If you want the absolute best quality, you can force Youtube to use VP9 encoding by uploading as 4K. They are moving to a codec called AV1, so this might not matter as much in the future.

You also want to upload in the highest possible quality you can. Youtube will take Prores.

If you can't use Prores or DNXHD, Handbrake is generally better than most NLE's H.264. Because of slow upload speeds, I would routinely render out Prores 422 or HQ and then use Handbrake to shrink the file size by about half and then upload that.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Does anyone know why a there would be a syncing issue ?

I use a webcam with an external mic, everything looks fine and totally in sync on the raw file.

When I drop the file into Vegas, the audio is off by about half a second.

It's not big deal. I spend 30 seconds to 1 minute shifting the audio file under the video file until it looks like I have it pretty well in sync.

But I'm wondering, is there some kind of setting I could be using that would rectify this issue so it would be in sync when I drop it in and wouldn't have to adjust it?

I use vegas pro 13

Thanks in advance!

6. Collapse Details
    Some software introduces a sync issue when rendering to H.264, so just offset the audio by a few frames to compensate. Perhaps there's a better fix, but that's how I've dealt with it.

P.S. If my memory serves me correctly, Prores & CineForm hold up to multiple renders better than DNxHD.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Cadmium View Post
    Because of slow upload speeds, I would routinely render out Prores 422 or HQ and then use Handbrake to shrink the file size by about half and then upload that.
    If you upload a Prores file to YouTube, is there a noticeable difference between Prores HQ & Prores LT?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    If you upload a Prores file to YouTube, is there a noticeable difference between Prores HQ & Prores LT?
    I can't remember if I've ever tested that out, but it would be easy enough to test. Prores HQ has over twice the data rate as LT, so there's going to be a difference, I just don't know if it's noticeable.

9. Collapse Details
    Okay thanks, I'll just keep adjust the offset manually. Much appreciated!