Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I know I'm going to regret wading into this...

I dont think anyone takes issue with the fact that you make jokes. My guess is (some) people are more bugged by the nature of some of those jokes and by your occasionally combative spirit.

Not everyone will be bothered by any of that. Some may enjoy it. But if you keep it up, you'll continue to tick the same people off.

Speaking for myself, I am offended by the repetitive jokes that objectify women. Now and then may be a lark, but seizing every opportunity might reflect a worldview. In particular, you made a crack about hiring a Black woman and then eventually marrying her. I'd be glad to explain why I found it offensive in context but I'll assume that you don't care or wouldn't believe my explanation.

Secondly, you sometimes get defensive and sort of list off your credentials, as you did responding to JP. Probably no one cares. I enjoy a good debate and combat of ideas even when blood gets drawn, but a competition of career stature just seems distasteful. Maybe you feel put upon and hounded, so I think it's forgivable. But I really doubt anyone cares.

And the whole objection to diversity hiring seems a bit greedy for white guys like us. Yes, we've all worked hard and overcome obstacles to get where we are. But imagine doing all that work and still not getting here.

I've probably annoyed everyone on this site at one time or another. NorBro thinks I'm a negative Nancy and I try to assure him that I would never tear apart someone's work to their face. Mutual support and constructive criticism is the name of the game.

You'll continue to offend or humor the same people if you stay the course. You can decide how much you care and if our criticisms have merit.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Time move on from discussing each other.

The subject of this thread is in the heading - "Large Sensor End Zone Cam... Your Thoughts."

Let's stick to that.

Thank you.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    So, just looking at the TV ratings, it becomes clear why the NFL is trying to shake up its coverage, if just a tad.

Its top 18-49 demos came from a decade ago (the Packers over the Steelers), which was watched by 52.5 million fans in that age group. The one from last Sunday was watched by 34.3 million and that's one third off. Thus, the choice of halftime entertainment too. The NFL is trying to get the right demos back and they're failing bigly.

PS. Side note - there are also 10M more people now than there were in 2011. Projecting the 2011 stats should amount to around 55M by 2021.

4. Collapse Details
    “ Why CBS was running an expensive VENUS with a Sigma stills lens and having the operator pull his own focus is beyond me. Why didn’t they just use a proper cine lens and have an AC pull focus?”

http://https://www.newsshooter.com/2...n-live-sports/
    Big sources matter.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    “ Why CBS was running an expensive VENUS with a Sigma stills lens and having the operator pull his own focus is beyond me. Why didn’t they just use a proper cine lens and have an AC pull focus?”

http://https://www.newsshooter.com/2...n-live-sports/
    Because that would make sense!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    Because that would make sense!
    One thing the criticism might be failing to consider is COVID restrictions and also the normal-times restrictions of crew on the field of play. The NFL is conservative in regard to allowing tv crew to be in close proximity to the players. The Steadi Op is regularly going within 6 ft of the players. I suppose a 1st could pull focus from a distance, “remotely”. What is the distance range on FIZ systems? Note that the steadicam Op never has a Camera Grip with him to spot him, suggesting that the NFL is okay with the steadi Op alone being on the field with the players but is not cool with it being more than the one person. Smallest footprint possible, as it were. Even in pre-COVID times.

Years ago when I shot NFL as part of the in-house crew I would be allowed onto the field, with my Utility, for the coin-toss. I even got to be out at midfield for the coin-toss of a Super Bowl, which was pretty cool. But I was not allowed to go onto the field after a score, as the network Steadi Op is allowed to do.

There are still questions that the above would not answer. For instance, why the Sigma still photography lens?
    Big sources matter.

7. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    First off--pretty embarrassing typo at Newsshooter: VENUS?!

As far as the Sigma lens, here is what Steadicam op Jon Mantak had to say about his setup:

"We used a 35 prime Sigma lens, chosen by CBS for 2 reasons. They wanted maximum aperture ability to ‘push’ the look, and the motor inside a DSLR lens vs a cine lens allowed the iris to be controlled remotely by the video operator.
    Others questioned the lack of an AC to pull focus. Unfortunately that wasn’t an option. The NFL severely limited our on field personnel due to Covid restrictions, and it wasn’t in the cards, period."

As JPNola says above, a remote focus puller from the sidelines or even the stands would have been possible. And yes, a good FIZ system will have enough range to cover the Steadicam operator's travel from there, although with the amount of RF at an event like that it's not a slamdunk. Paired with a Preston Light Ranger, a great focus puller would have been the right way to go in my opinion (Jon feels differently).

Also not sure about why a Sigma still lens vs the cine prime. He notes above that the internal motor had something to do with it, but an small external motor would have done just as well again paired with a FIZ unit.

My armchair quarterbacking (as it were) is that this was a classic situation where decisions are being made by committee within a corporate broadcast environment that weren't fully thought through. I've been through this a few times myself and it is a bit ugly.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

8. Collapse Details
    If "Venus" - she's got it, my baby, she's got it - was used for the currently unreleased footage, then its end zone celebration shots could be chalked off to having to be there. If it was used solely for the end zone celebrations, then it's odd all around and definitely a corporate decision.

To me, the smudgy shots weren't any different from A7RIV that FOX had late in the season. The sensor is the same size and they were both producing a 1080P stream.

9. Collapse Details
    In the Sigma's defense, their Art primes absolutely kick patoot
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

10. Collapse Details
    As far as the Venice, one of the first NFL's major productions with it was last year's SB intros so it's not odd to see it on the field (especially a year later).

I watch a lot of NFL content and besides seeing Amiras all over the place, the Venice seems like it has replaced Varicams (the 4K ones).

Obviously a lot of content is being done for this company so there are probably still little segments being produced with Varicams and others with lower-end cameras here and there, but Sony has definitely found a larger video share in this company.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast