Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I would make the DOF a little deeper and take a zone focus/assisted manual approach. Then Abe's remote touch run by the intern would work just fine and the focus would not jump around.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    In this case, the love I have for football is stronger than the technical observation.
    I stopped watching after the first TD because the focus bothered me so much. Jk I didn't watch any of it

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    “ For a long time, it's been common for camera crew used to drama, commercials and features to take a slightly superior attitude to people who work in live television.”

http://https://www.redsharknews.com/...e-jedi-knights
    I regularly work in both fields and as someone who shoots live TV (and corporate, doc work, and events) as well as drama, commercials, and features, I don't look down upon myself, nor have I ever implied those who work in the same field as myself are inferior for working in the same field I work in. Again, you're making no sense.

Saying broadcasters don't always use the best methods to achieve the best results is not saying or implying they're inferior people or jobs; it's simply saying they have different ways of doing things, that those things could be done better from a technical standpoint, but often don't need to be because of the nature of the work, budget limitations, etc.

I think you see me owning an Amira and think, "Expensive camera owner, therefore must be an elitist snob so let me criticize this dude at every opportunity I get." Great way to participate on a camera forum. You should go over to RedUser, Cinematography.com, or RogerDeakins.com and you'd just love seeing the hundreds of owners of higher end gear than I have which you could constantly label as elitist snobs and just have a field day criticizing.

And oh my gosh, I bought a nice house with money I made from working freaking hard at my job; I must be a terrible person because I'm not lazy and work hard to be able to afford things. It's not like I'm some trust fund baby; I work hard for the things I buy and don't need to be criticized about it.

Just be sure to watch the entire video below. It's the best way to understand the message. I know it may take 10 hours, but it's a worthwhile investment of your time. I'm sure you'll get more accomplished by doing so than by spending all the time you do criticizing me.

Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 02-09-2021 at 10:25 AM.

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    It's not really unheard of for broadcast to have a dedicated focus puller. I'd think this had a dedicated focus puller with the broadcast camera.

They're singing the song "Shallow" but the depth of field with that broadcast camera is not shallow.

Charles, is the fancy bearded guy pulling focus here or is that just to help with the live transmission feed? When did wireless focus pulling first become available?

Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 02-09-2021 at 10:49 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I stopped watching after the first TD because the focus bothered me so much. Jk I didn't watch any of it
    Yeah, as did I...I put on Star Trek instead, raging night.

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah, as did I...I put on Star Trek instead, raging night.
    i'm sure i was editing, babysitting, or napping. sadly my trek marathon has slowed to a crawl now that i'm not staying awake every night to watch the baby.

PS that makeup job on gaga and cooper is frigging great. look at how good their skin looks. a little much on her maybe

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Charles, is the fancy bearded guy pulling focus here or is that just to help with the live transmission feed? When did wireless focus pulling first become available?
    I don't know the answer to this but it seems like a simple invention to me, no? Just an RF signal coming to a focus motor? And both of those pre-date steadicam

8. Collapse Details
    Oh, yea...remote...remotely ...and I really don't care about the focusing issues either (coming from someone who has obsessed about it for 10 years)..
    I don't think the NFL even considers that an "issue". It's like a cool new psychedelic style image to them. And now for something different.

I do think that A1 with the G-master primes and a bit more experience from the operators will minimize some of the "issues". Technically, they could have tried a Canon product too but succumbed to the commercial considerations.

9. Collapse Details
    this isn't end zone stuff but cool BTS photos - https://www.instagram.com/jibtekinc/

I hope the company with a shotover/NFL contract is printing money.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Why can't the operator do the touch focus tracking, especially with a remote screen

Come to think of it - it could be an AC on the sidelines with a remote screen. You're only limited by the wifi range

I wonder if they tried to register a face with a helmet first of all if it would work and second if it would grab any helmet it saq
    If they’re using RIVs and shooting 4K, the AF only works as zone... face, eye, and touch spot AF aren’t available in 4K modes. It’s a downside.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast