Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Exactly on the cowboys shots. If the thing is out of focus every time they cut to it then so much for all of this great AF that is supposed to be out there! Strange that the NFL is still using them unless it is a cost thing and ease of finding an operator.

2. Collapse Details
    Supposedly the feedback has been tremendous, and people all over the country are telling them [social media] how much they love it.

Which wasn't a surprise to me...I and dozens of others have said for many years that human brains respond to shallow depth-of-field like nothing else (besides maybe contrast and saturation...and lighting but not in this subject).

[I'm a big fan of resolution but it's down the list before the aforementioned.]

___

As far as the focus...they will get it dialed in eventually with some settings, or improve the cutting - but the bottom line is 99% of the audience does not care about any focusing issues or even notice it as they are enjoying the blurry background and the "special" new look, especially when their teams, favorite players score.

3. Collapse Details
    I was thinking the same thing that people are probably loving it since it looks like a video game. I just thought the NFL would have tested them some more before using them in a game.

4. Collapse Details
    Although I don't disagree, I'm not sure where this notion of it looking like a video game comes from as many people don't play video games...

If anything, more would be familiar with this "blurry look" from YouTube videos they watch every day of whatever they are interested in (and not that everyone shoots shallow but many do) or just regular Hollywood movies.

5. Collapse Details
    I should clarify and say it reminds me of the look of video game trailers. They are CG with cinema style SDOF shots.

6. Collapse Details
    A clip--

"Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    As someone from the sports world and as someone sitting at home watching(on a big ass screen), I donít really like it, like itís being used. Itís one thing using ďartĒ shots for bumpers when youíre going to break or re-caps and melts at the end of the game, but cutting in super shallow depth of field shots live with the regular live game footage or even for instant replay just doesnít feel right and is jarring. Like someone said, itís kind of like a cut-scene in a video game. Itís just so different, it doesnít fit in this context.
    I agree it's probably not the right time and place for shallow focus, although I bet the reasoning is that the stands are empty, so seeing the background just reminds us that the world sucks right now.

But crucially - depth of field is also dependent on viewing size. You're watching on a big ass screen, which means you're seeing far shallower depth of field than everyone watching on a phone. The difference is that much greater for you.

I remember watching Six Feet Under on a large projection at home and thinking how the out of focus blobs looked nasty. Whereas they were probably pretty on a TV screen 1/12 the size

8. Collapse Details
    People who watch and love sports don't care about the visual aspect of seeing empty stands.

The crowd's energy and noise was the most important part, and not shots of the fans (although of course seeing them and the reactions from time to time is great too).

Yeah, having no fans sucks - but ultimately it's about the sport, the players, the plays. (Some stadiums can have a limited capacity.)

Besides people losing their lives and jobs, I was concerned with how this pandemic might affect sports but it took me a very short time - a week or two - to adapt with the wonderful crowd noise mixed in post.

The regular NFL season ends next weekend (some would say it already ended for most this weekend based on playoff math) and they just started this 2 weeks ago or so, so it's not like they needed to. Probably just experimenting and wanted to see the reaction towards the end of the season as we move forward with the last few weeks.

It was such a long time coming...5-6-7 years in the making as shallow DOF and gimbals have been a thing for a while now.

9. Collapse Details
    You're saying you respond positively to crowd noise but you have no response to images of full stands undulating with colorful exuberant fans?

I dont watch sports but every time I see a clip from these games, i have an instinctual, "wait, is this just a practice?" Because the stands are empty. Obviously, I'd get used to it, but nevertheless

10. Collapse Details
    Yes...sound is 1000% more important (hearing the crowd versus seeing the crowd).

The energy drives the game.

Fan shots are cool and a nice part of the overall experience (the celebrations, the dress ups, the anxiety, the booing), but you only see them about 20-30% during a 2-3 hour broadcast. Most of the cuts are on players, the bench, coaches, and of course the wider shots of the game action.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast