Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    NFL - Large Sensor End Zone Cam... Your Thoughts?
    Just wondering if anybody has seen the new large sensor end zone cams the NFL is starting to use? They have been using a steadicam operator with some kind of small broadcast camera. I have seen a few games where this setup has been replaced with what looks to be something like an FX6 on a gimbal type setup. The game I was watching was the Cowboy game and I do not know what to make of the look. It reminds me of a video game trailer! (Which I am sure they love for the younger eyeballs). I can't say that I like it as the super shallow DOF is kind of jarring for a live event imho. For some reason, the lens they had on was not super wide either?

Anyway, would be interested to hear your thoughts.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    It's A7 RIV.

So I posted a quick message there and NorBro posted the related video.

PS. My opinion is that it looks weird because auto focus isn't really made for half a dozen people coming in from all directions.

3. Collapse Details
    It's funny that it is indeed jarring but only because it's been so uncommon in that setting for so many years.

IMO, there's a difference between zoomed-in shallow DOF from a smaller sensor and clearly full-frame DOF.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986854139

___

It's a 24-70mm...probably around 35-50mm most of the time, I would guess.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/sta...45493215907847

NFL_FF.jpg

4. Collapse Details
    Call me nuts, but, owning both, I kinda like the video image from the RIV slightly more than the SIII.

Large sensor certainly helps blur out the empty stadium seating. Pro sports might need more of this, even after the pandemic ends.

Never knew I owned my own "Megalodon," amongst other antediluvian oddities within my kit...
    Last edited by mcbob; 12-29-2020 at 09:17 AM.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

5. Collapse Details
    The rig at the Cowboy game was a little different. It was a little larger body with the LCD coming out of the top/side. The body was a medium gray color. The image was nice but I found the transition to the SDOF unnatural when all of the other cameras have more of the world in focus. but to each there own.

The thing did have an epic autofocus fail after a touchdown though. The director chose to stay on the shot and the camera was all the way on the stands in the distance. The players were almost to the point of blobs in front of the lens. They are probably better off increasing the aperture and zone focusing fairly close up than having the meltdown.

The steadicam has better motion imho but this rig is probably the way forward they will choose.

6. Collapse Details
    A7SIII doesn't have 1080p and the networks don't want to fool around with the 4K footage streaming/editing yet. A7SIII has more AF points though.

Then the 24-70 G Master weighs close to a kilo (886g), which is a lot of glass to move quickly. They'd probably be better off with a cheap 50mm prime because it's so much lighter and all the aberrations and vignetting don't really matter much in those shots anyway.

Of course, if they want the swirling bokeh from all sides, they should just get a Petzval ... was watching Titans-Packers and could barely see the yard lines anyway ... (while the officials didn't see the sidelines).

7. Collapse Details
    As someone from the sports world and as someone sitting at home watching(on a big ass screen), I don’t really like it, like it’s being used. It’s one thing using “art” shots for bumpers when you’re going to break or re-caps and melts at the end of the game, but cutting in super shallow depth of field shots live with the regular live game footage or even for instant replay just doesn’t feel right and is jarring. Like someone said, it’s kind of like a cut-scene in a video game. It’s just so different, it doesn’t fit in this context.

8. Collapse Details
    I am pretty sure the a7SIII has 1080p.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    The rig at the Cowboy game was a little different. It was a little larger body with the LCD coming out of the top/side. The body was a medium gray color. The image was nice but I found the transition to the SDOF unnatural when all of the other cameras have more of the world in focus. but to each there own.

The thing did have an epic autofocus fail after a touchdown though. The director chose to stay on the shot and the camera was all the way on the stands in the distance. The players were almost to the point of blobs in front of the lens. They are probably better off increasing the aperture and zone focusing fairly close up than having the meltdown.

The steadicam has better motion imho but this rig is probably the way forward they will choose.
    That's probably when CeeDee Lamb scored a touchdown...I saw it specifically there too, but this actually happens all of the time every single time they cut to it (every game), just depends on how long they hold the shot.

This was also a funny one as the only thing in focus for a few seconds in this shot was the graphic...and the hand which infamously always gets in focus with center-box focusing if it's out in front of the face (like glasses sometimes).

MS_Eagles.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    ... was watching Titans-Packers and could barely see the yard lines anyway ... (while the officials didn't see the sidelines).
    They put in fake yard numbers for the broadcast in that game...pretty cool.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast