1. Collapse Details
    Generous 5 star ratings
    It has to be near perfect for me to give a 5 star rating, and I consider a 4 star rating to be very good. Many reviews are heavily weighted toward 5 stars, even if the review lists a concern or suggested improvement. So it's maybe best to read the 3 and 4 star reviews to get a better evaluation of the gear.

On the same topic, I hired a tree service to cut a tree and I though they did a fair to great job. They contacted me later asking why I gave only a 4 1/2 star rating and would I change my rating so they could keep their score as high as possible. Sheeez

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Agreed. I call it star inflation. Also, businesses asking for 5-star reviews is tacky.

On the other side, the 1-star reviews usually sound like they were written by unstable people. (That isn't to say that all 1-star reviews are overreactions.)

It is a good suggestion to take a look at the middling reviews.

---

That said, when I shop, what do I go for? Only the ones with at least 4 1/2 stars! Products or businesses with 3 stars freak me out. Even 4 stars give me serious pause. All I can see is that empty fifth star.

I still blame it on star inflation, though. If most things were 3 or 4 stars, then I wouldn't act like that. Even when I filter it down to show me only the things with 4-5 stars, I still have plenty to choose from.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakle View Post
    It has to be near perfect for me to give a 5 star rating, and I consider a 4 star rating to be very good. Many reviews are heavily weighted toward 5 stars, even if the review lists a concern or suggested improvement. So it's maybe best to read the 3 and 4 star reviews to get a better evaluation of the gear.

On the same topic, I hired a tree service to cut a tree and I though they did a fair to great job. They contacted me later asking why I gave only a 4 1/2 star rating and would I change my rating so they could keep their score as high as possible. Sheeez
    I had a similar situation on Amazon. There was some sort of issue and I deducted a star with an explanation. The seller sent me a new item or a refund but they pleaded/demanded that I change my review and give them 5 stars in return. I felt uncomfortable being pressured because I felt an obligation to other buyers to give well rounded review pointing out the good and the bad. On ebay a seller also wanted 5 stars instead of 4, there's some sort of analytic that ebay had developed that puts pressure on sellers that anything less than 5 stars they get penalized in some way.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 12-27-2020 at 10:12 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Same with AirBnB, every one that I have stayed at, the owner BEGs for five stars, saying they get penalized for even a 4.5. Per usual with Lemming-like humans,
    people have taken a merit-based system that was conceived with logic and made it into something utterly meaningless. Just like "Cinematic" and "Broadcast Quality".
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakle View Post
    It has to be near perfect for me to give a 5 star rating
    For what it's worth, the key on Yelp agrees with you. Actually it has a slightly higher standard for 5 stars:

★★★★★ Woohoo! As good as it gets!
    ★★★★ Yay! I'm a fan.
    ★★★ A-OK.
    ★★ Meh. I've experienced better.
    Eek! Methinks not.

Apparently we are unable to deal with this level of nuance.

6. Collapse Details
    Yes to the loss of nuance, combat. Funny - the prevalence of 5 star/1 star extreme ratings mirrors the way are culture is largely seeing through a binary lens.

I agree, it's turned star ratings into something increasingly useless.

7. Collapse Details
    With eBays positive, neutral, negative is a little wacky. Some Europeans left neutral because item arrived as it should, nothing outstanding just what one would expect. It’s probably a much healthier attitude but it does to most Americans look like the seller did something wrong.