Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    If anyone cares - and I know I don't - the owners of MLS have asked for a force majeure clause in their CBA with the player union. Under the legal terms, this requires a one month of negotiations in good faith. Should an agreement not be reached within these 30 days, the owners have the right to void the CBA.

Now one has to wonder if this will spread to other areas of sports and entertainment.
    Last edited by DLD; 12-31-2020 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Spelling!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I had to look up "boffins"
    LOL I sometimes forget we are two nations divided by a common language:-)

Sounds like unequivocally good news about AstraZeneca re:delaying 2nd dose. It would be good if they do achieve parity with efficacy of pfizer/moderna because that would eliminate preference for one over the other on the part of patients (like me). I havent read any red flags raised over its safety, only over if the half-dose results were a red herring or not
    One boffin said something interesting at another presser yesterday, he advised the media not to compare the efficacy data between different vaccines too closely, saying the data points are different in the different trials - what Pfizer count as a case of COVID is different from what AstraZeneca do. He rather undermined his point by not sharing the different definitions they use though... Worth noting flu vaccine is usually around 40% effective so these new vaccines really are a staggering achievement on so many levels.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

3. Collapse Details
    Does that flu vaccine efficacy take into account that there are different strains? Are they 40% effective against the strain they target? Or are they 40% effective because something else might get you?

Yeah pfizer/moderna could be cooking their numbers. Or astrazeneca could be in order to catch up. Whatever. Just jab me with something already

4. Collapse Details
    Does that flu vaccine efficacy take into account that there are different strains? Are they 40% effective against the strain they target? Or are they 40% effective because something else might get you?
    No idea.

Yeah pfizer/moderna could be cooking their numbers. Or astrazeneca could be in order to catch up. Whatever. Just jab me with something already
    Luckily, the drug companies are not in control of the data for trials, so we can trust it. It just needs deep analysis to fully understand it. For example, two people were hospitalised on the AstraZen trials but one probably had COVID before they received the jab and the other caught it only days after so it wouldn't;t have been effective.

It struck me as strange their trial was halted as they were a few weeks ahead of the other vaccines. I put that down to politics, but won't elaborate on here as I don't want to upset the mods...
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net

5. Collapse Details
    I used to tell everyone in Austin that boffin was a Aussie/kiwi term for fluffer.. I’m also guilty of spreading the rumor that russel Crowe had 2 on staff while he recorded his album in town back in the day.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Luckily, the drug companies are not in control of the data for trials, so we can trust it. It just needs deep analysis to fully understand it.
    I'm not saying they would or could lie about their numbers. But just as you said that different companies may "count as a case" differently - where things are subject to interpretation, I wouldn't be surprised if they chose to interpret them in the most favorable light. And by catch up I meant match efficacy rates, not gain authorization asap. Looking at the news archives, yes I see that the trial hold went on longer in the US...

7. Collapse Details

My GF is a paramedic(now in a supervisory role and not on an ambulance). The service administered the vaccine to those on her shift who wanted it on Tuesday(the other supervisor on her shift took it). She declined and said she would wait and see what happened to others. She said one of the red flags to her was the day they administered it. Tuesday. Because her shift was then off on Wednesday and Thursday. She said they probably did that so that if someone got sick or had side-effects, it (probably) would not interfere with them working a scheduled shift, since they would have two days between receiving the vaccine and working again.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    My GF is a paramedic(now in a supervisory role and not on an ambulance). The service administered the vaccine to those on her shift who wanted it on Tuesday(the other supervisor on her shift took it). She declined and said she would wait and see what happened to others. She said one of the red flags to her was the day they administered it. Tuesday. Because her shift was then off on Wednesday and Thursday. She said they probably did that so that if someone got sick or had side-effects, it (probably) would not interfere with them working a scheduled shift, since they would have two days between receiving the vaccine and working again.
    Is she normally concerned with taking vaccines or is it the speed these vaccines were produced that worried her? As I travel a lot, I've had so many jabs over the years I've become more than a little blassť about it, which probably isn't smart...
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net

9. Collapse Details
    Well, we know there are covid-like side effects the day following the jab. I think it's worse with the 2nd dose tho

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Is she normally concerned with taking vaccines or is it the speed these vaccines were produced that worried her? As I travel a lot, I've had so many jabs over the years I've become more than a little blassť about it, which probably isn't smart...
    She used to get the flu-shot annually for work. It's just the speed with which it was rushed through and the unknown, mid-to-long-term possible effects plus possible initial reactions/side effects.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast