Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    The reason the flu deaths are "down" is because hospitals don't get extra money for reporting flu deaths. Unlike covid.
    Nonsense on stilts. Flu rates are down worldwide, even in countries with proper healthcare systems where profit isn't the overriding motive.

5 out of 6 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    It may or may not be nonsense here in the US. It is true that reporting a death as a covid death gets the care entity a reimbursement from the Feds. Last August I had a feeling the flu might be way down because (despite the news) most folks are in fact wearing masks and this is good for curtailing flu and other respiratory viruses besides covid. I even made a comment to a friend who was worried about getting the flu, that the flu may not appear at all (it has, but just barely in our area (central MD, USA). But I also have three direct contacts in medicine who have been warned not to discuss the way deaths (due to covid or dying with covid from something else) are reported. There have also been a number of similar reports on various media (how widespread, I certainly do not know). Why the relief bill last March gave money for covid deaths, I don't know, but in the true American spirit, I fear many are trying to capitalize on it and may be "fudging" the death numbers for profit. Not saying the numbers would be that much different - don't have an opinion on that yet, but the facts are what they are and part of the reason discussion on this topic can get so weird. Nothing is easy - I just hope the vaccine works!

B

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by say_doyster View Post
    Last August I had a feeling the flu might be way down because (despite the news) most folks are in fact wearing masks and this is good for curtailing flu and other respiratory viruses besides covid.
    It is down, and from even earlier than August and its the same almost everywhere in the world, most of which has a very different medical system.

Not saying the numbers would be that much different - don't have an opinion on that yet, but the facts are what they are
    Which facts...?

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

4. Collapse Details
    I think it would probably be considered malpractice not to administer a covid test to a suspected patient. So I assume that nearly all covid/flu deaths have had a test and thus a verification of which virus killed them.

The southern hemisphere barely had a flu season last summer: https://www.precisionvaccinations.co...flu-season?amp

5. Collapse Details
    IMO, the flu went away when the handshake went away. No conspiracy theories or deep thinking necessary; people touch their faces, other people touch their hands, those people touch their faces, and voila - flu. No touching hands = no flu transmission. People washing their hands more frequently = no flu transmission. Sure, you'll get the random/rare sneeze situation, but masks have put the brakes on that. So other than that, the flu is history.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    It is down, and from even earlier than August and its the same almost everywhere in the world, most of which has a very different medical system.

Which facts...?

JB
    That the US government pays additional money to the entity providing care an amount substantially more than if they did not die from covid.

7. Collapse Details
    That the US government pays additional money to the entity providing care an amount substantially more than if they did not die from covid.

I charge my clients more due to COVID restrictions and safety measures and its impact on production. You should also.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Can you evidence that?

A reason flu deaths are down is because people who may otherwise have died of "seasonal" flu are instead dying of COVID.

So yes, flu deaths are down at least in part due to COVID deaths.

Another reason, logically, is that people are afraid to go into a doctor and as a result fewer flu cases are made known to the medical community. But that is only speculation on my part.

So what happens when / if we get to where productions won't hire you unless you've had the vaccine? The Boomers get all the jobs as a result of the 5D kids being the last on the list for vax?
    Big sources matter.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by FrameFarmMedia View Post
    I charge my clients more due to COVID restrictions and safety measures and its impact on production. You should also.
    Sometimes the rate is the rate, you are competing with others willing to do the job for that rate, and you either take it as is or decline. They'd laugh if you demanded some sort of COVID-bonus. Yeah, like that's happening. That and a bonus for having to work a holiday.
    Big sources matter.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Can you evidence that?

A reason flu deaths are down is because people who may otherwise have died of "seasonal" flu are instead dying of COVID.

So yes, flu deaths are down at least in part due to COVID deaths.

Another reason, logically, is that people are afraid to go into a doctor and as a result fewer flu cases are made known to the medical community. But that is only speculation on my part.

So what happens when / if we get to where productions won't hire you unless you've had the vaccine? The Boomers get all the jobs as a result of the 5D kids being the last on the list for vax?

It is part of the massive Covid relief act passed late last March or early April to help hospitals and any care-giving entities to cope with the load of patients and the need for special care - PPE and all other unique requirements. I do not know the amount or if it varies by case, but it does stipulate special payments for covid deaths.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast