It has nothing to do with La Biennale di Venezia and "real" golden lions:

https://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/2021

But, for sure, it looks the same.

2. Collapse Details
    meh
    Big sources matter.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    It's definitely not as prestigious as a Primetime Emmy, but to say it's a "fraud" and that people should "go to prison" for saying you won something you actually won? Really?
    Like I'd said, I have no problem with people going to the awards, enjoying the ceremony, winning them, etc. I just have a problem with them intentionally fooling clients into thinking they are prestigious primetime Emmy's, when they are not. If one puts "Emmy Award Winner" on their website, they could just as easily put "Regional Emmy Award Winner," as that way it is not so misleading about what they've won.

It's like if I made up my own ceremony in my basement, invited a few friends over, and called it the "Eric Coughlin Academy Awards." Then at this ceremony I won a few "Eric Coughlin Academy Awards" and then put on my website, "Academy Award Winner." That would be fraud.

I think the distinction of "Regional" is necessary to avoid misleading clients, as many clients are not aware that there are regional and primetime Emmy's.

That said, there is a $500 entry fee to the "Eric Coughlin Academy Awards," so now is a great time for early bird sign up before the rates go up $200 in February.

4. Collapse Details
    The NATAS sends a letter when you win, saying that you're entitled to say you're an Emmy(r) award winner, and saying that you're entitled to use the official images of the statues for up to one year after winning.

It is what it is. It most definitely isn't "fraud" if you're the actual winner. Real fraud is when someone claims something that is flat out untrue. Like, if you worked one day as a gofer on a film that went on to win the Oscar for best picture, and you went around claiming you're an Oscar winner. That's fraud.

If you win a regional Emmy, it has your name engraved on it, and you're the only one authorized to say you were the winner.

If you don't like it, that's okay, but to call for people to be arrested, imprisoned, and "shamed" for telling people what they legitimately did and are specifically authorized by the institution to do... I think it's fair to say I disagree with you on that point.

Should we be imprisoning people with doctorate of education degrees for calling themselves "doctor" when they are not, in fact, physicians? I think most folks with non-medical doctorates don't generally advertise themselves with the title "Doctor", but unless they're trying to treat patients without a medical license they're not committing any crime.

5. Collapse Details
    The NATAS sends a letter when you win, saying that you're entitled to say you're an Emmy(r) award winner, and saying that you're entitled to use the official images of the statues for up to one year after winning.
    Well yes, it is good for the Emmy's business to encourage this fraud and deception so of course they would say that. That doesn't make it right. Just like if the "Eric Coughlin Academy Awards" sends out a letter saying you can call yourself an "Academy Award Winner" if you win an "Eric Coughlin Academy Award," do that mean it's okay to call yourself an "Academy Award Winner" then?

I don't see why it is so difficult for people in their marketing to simply put the word "Regional" in with their listing of "Emmy Award Winning." I feel like that is the best and clearest solution to avoid misleading clients rather than letting clients falsely think you won a big nationwide award. I'd imagine many who list "Emmy Award Winning" on their website and in their marketing are aware of how they are intentionally misleading clients, but choose to do so regardless.

6. Collapse Details
    I don't have a problem with anyone identifying anything they legitimately did, as exactly what it is. If someone wants to put "Regional" on there, they're certainly free to. What I have a problem with is calling for the imprisonment, national shaming, and cancellation of someone, for doing what they're entitled to do. That's just bull**** as far as I'm concerned, it's a national disgrace, and those who participate in it can and will burn in hell. But that's just my opinion on today's culture, and why I never have or never will participate in so-called "social" media.

As far as I know, Oscar winners can call themselves Academy Award winners, even if their particular Oscar was in an obscure field or a Student category, for example. And those who earn doctorate degrees are entitled to use the honorific term "doctor", whether they're a physician or not (while most with doctorate decrees choose not to decorate themselves with such a title, generally unless they're a PhD).

Once upon a time there was a concept called "caveat emptor". I'd prefer that approach over self-appointed police trying to intimidate and bully people into only speaking or saying words that they themselves approve of, whether they believe it's for the "common good" or not. Caveat Emptor.

If you think this is such an issue, why not write to the NATAS and ask them to adjust their policy on what terminology the winners of the various levels are allowed to use when describing their accomplishments? The NATAS has requirements on the use of their trademarked terms, and on who can claim to be an Emmy winner and who gets a statue and who can use the images of their statues or awards in their advertising. If the NATAS agrees with you, then you'll get exactly what you want, without having to destroy the livelihoods of honest people who are proud of what they've accomplished and have the actual awards to show it. If the NATAS agrees that Regional Emmy winners are misleading people by claiming to be Emmy winners, then they will do something about it.
    Last edited by Barry_Green; 01-08-2021 at 12:48 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    And let me clarify: I have no problem with your stance or opinions on this issue, I understand what you're saying.

The thing I have a problem with is your proposed remedy. I think there are civil ways to deal with it, and there are scorched earth nuclear options, and I think starting out at scorched earth is extremely unwarranted and civility would be more welcome.

8. Collapse Details
    And let me clarify: I have no problem with your stance or opinions on this issue, I understand what you're saying.

The thing I have a problem with is your proposed remedy. I think there are civil ways to deal with it, and there are scorched earth nuclear options, and I think starting out at scorched earth is extremely unwarranted and civility would be more welcome.
    This. I agree the practice can be deceptive and misleading, especially if and when its propagated by agencies that do so to profit from such.

Sometimes it can seem that using extreme language will make a point better or more clearly and powerfully than a measured approach, however, often the inverse is the case as such an approach can come across unreasonable and out of balance.

The reality is, words like "fraud" have a specifically reserved meaning, and it dilutes the word fraud of its meaning and power when we create an overly expansive definition of it. Second, your proposed remedies here are, in actuality, more intense than how most real world cases of actual fraud would in fact be prosecuted.

By all means, continue to share your feelings and hold your view on this being a misleading and deceptive practice. I agree with you on many things, I think many here do. I'd encourage you to use more measured and precise language so that others can hear the validity within your points.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    FG's Season 16, Episode 1 "Emmy-Winning Episode" is on right now.

10. Collapse Details
    "They hated it so much they gave us a negative Emmy. We now owe them an Emmy."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast