Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    I would prefer an alt academy awards “ Eric Coughlins cavalcade of academy awards on ice, sponsored by slim Jim “. Before my time but in 1964 the American Beatles” had an incredibly successful south American tour. And South America seem to be fine from the experience except for that whole Pinochet thing.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Continuing down this rabbit hole, the term "doctor" originates from latin for "teacher". "Doctor" was used to refer to an 'especially learned person who was authorized and qualified to teach a particular subject'. So while the designation MD (doctor of medicine) does predate PhD (doctor of philosophy) by more than 100 years, the term "Doctor" as a description/title for a teacher/especially learned person, like one with a PhD today, was first.
    You can only climbs out of that rabbit hole if you're Alice and ten feet tall.

So, scouring Wikipedia a little and recalling some of the old times - as I had mentioned, the Soviet universities gave out diplomas to those who went through the complete process and that was equivalent to a master's degree. A four year bachelor's was not offered. After the graduation, one could further pursue two more degrees - the Candidate of Sciences and the Doctor of Sciences. The doctor program could take as many as ten years. However, when translating and transferring these academic titles to the British/American educational system, the Candidates were allowed to claim PhD's. This is where the gripe against Dr. Kush... may have originated. Technically, in the eyes of the Russian immigrants, he wasn't a full fledged Doctor because he was only a Candidate. In the USSR, that was considered an intellectual fraud, although, he was unlikely to be arrested for claiming it. In other words, while Dr. Kush was a very smart guy, the emigres thought of him more as a BS artist.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    I would prefer an alt academy awards “ Eric Coughlins cavalcade of academy awards on ice, sponsored by slim Jim “. Before my time but in 1964 the American Beatles” had an incredibly successful south American tour. And South America seem to be fine from the experience except for that whole Pinochet thing.
    Most people have never heard of the "American Beatles".

But this was nothing compared to what was happening at the end of the USSR and the immediate post-split nations circa 1991-1993. By 1987 or so, with Gorbachev's enacted glasnost; and perestroika, one could actually purchase foreign music. Guys went for metal, girls went for Boys Bands. In economics, this means a price signal. The Soviet made Boy Bands began to record and tour extensively and began to earn sums unheard of thereto.

And here's how the system worked. A producer got a really good looking kid to "record" an album. If the kid couldn't sing worth a lick, a professional singer was hired (and hired cheaply too). Then the star performer went on tour. Where he sort of danced on stage as a pale imitation of Michael Jackson (which would make him really, really, really pale), with the audio coming off a CD. In Russian, it was called "fanera" (literally, engineered wood, a Russian language euphemism for lip-sync).

But here is where it gets outright insane. The star performers suddenly multiplied. To extent the analogy further, at any given moment, there could have been half a dozen "Michael Jackson's" touring the Soviet or post-Soviet space. It was the means for the record company owners and promoters to make megabucks. A totally different version of Jackson Five. This was Jackson Times Six.

And the funny thing about it is that, much like with the American Beatles, the audience didn't care. It was entertainment that no one had seen before at all. The staid, aging, nailed-to-the-floor, approved--by-the-apparatchiks communist era acts were out. Dance music was in.

PS. For historical context, a member of a top Soviet band could make 1,000-1,500 rubles per month of touring (an average wage in the USSR was ~ 100 in the early 1970's, climbing to ~ 120 by the end of the 1970's and to 200 by the end of the 1980's). When private commerce became legal, many younger performers quit their government controlled positions and formed their own bands. I caught an interview with one very popular 70's songwriter, who did just that in the mid/late 1980's. He said, "My mom was visiting me one day and I asked if she needed a little financial help. She said she was grateful but didn't want to be a burden on her children. Then I showed her a suitcase with 80,000 rubles. She nearly fainted, thinking that I must have killed someone to get this much money".
    Last edited by DLD; 01-08-2021 at 10:14 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    You can only climbs out of that rabbit hole if you're Alice and ten feet tall.

So, scouring Wikipedia a little and recalling some of the old times - as I had mentioned, the Soviet universities gave out diplomas to those who went through the complete process and that was equivalent to a master's degree. A four year bachelor's was not offered. After the graduation, one could further pursue two more degrees - the Candidate of Sciences and the Doctor of Sciences. The doctor program could take as many as ten years. However, when translating and transferring these academic titles to the British/American educational system, the Candidates were allowed to claim PhD's. This is where the gripe against Dr. Kush... may have originated. Technically, in the eyes of the Russian immigrants, he wasn't a full fledged Doctor because he was only a Candidate. In the USSR, that was considered an intellectual fraud, although, he was unlikely to be arrested for claiming it. In other words, while Dr. Kush was a very smart guy, the emigres thought of him more as a BS artist.
    I see what you did there...

5. Collapse Details
    Just reread title that regional winners should be rewarded by experiencing some relaxing jail time. I know Hollywood makes it look incredibly appealing in films like “Jailhouse Rock”, “Ernest goes to Jail “ and “Reform school Girls “ but isn’t as idyllic as it seems. Sure you might get in a platonic bromance with an 80s action star exemplified by some of the Eastern European van damm, Segal, Lundgren prison epics, and it’s tempting to learn to turn bread and fruit into alcohol hidden in a commode, but it really isn’t a reward. Maybe a better title should be “ all regional Emmy winners are frauds and should get a nice ensemble from the Gap or Old Navy”. Maybe a gift certificate to Chi-Chis or put-put golf.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    This happens all the time in entertainment and sports. There are a lot of writers and coaches who, at one time or other, worked on great staffs and they will use it to further their careers...
    --------------------------------

So, Brandon Staley, your defense just surrendered 500 yards to the Green Bay Packers. What are you going to do now?

I'm going to Disneyland.

------------------------------

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456