Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    Flinching right there with you - I completely agree with this, Charles. In fact, I've learned from 25+ years of experience that is it usually those with the biggest egos - or at least those who prance & preen for attention the most - often have very little talent. And conversely, those who are very talented usually let their work speak for itself.
    That's why I market myself as an "award-losing filmmaker." Jk

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    A whole lot of these award shows are rigged. Why people even give somebody credit for it is beyond me.

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details
    I judged Emmy's one year in my area and all I can say is, it was an excruciating experience. Much of the work submitted was literally just 3 or 4 camera coverage of stage performances. And, there's a minimum duration you have to watch each piece in order to judge it, which as I recall, wasn't even 1/2.

5. Collapse Details
    I truthfully could not name even one Emmy Award winner with certainty. Although I could probably guess many big names who might have one.

If that's me - someone who probably should know who exactly won some of these awards - I assume the rest of the population outside of this specific circle, industry might not know either.

___

IMO, in today's world, all of these awards blur together. I think the only award that matters is the one where your work is forever remembered by millions...for at least one century.

Like Vince Gilligan. I don't know how many awards he won, or what he won, or didn't win, but I know he created BB.

And that understanding and knowledge that millions of people have about him is much more important than any trophy you could possibly ever receive.

___

That's the kind of award I'd want in a life of pursuing this kind of goal.

Being the best and acknowledged by the world that you've created something that's universally considered the best.

6. Collapse Details
    I see local news shows promote their broadcasters in commercials as regional Emmy winners fairly regularly.

7. Collapse Details
    I think it is great that you have an award system to recognize excellence in television, like you have one for film. The Emmy Awards, have a special place since so many more people have access to the programming than cinema since not everyone goes to the movies so to speak. The regional Emmy awards I guess have a place I guess too but should probably be renamed. I can certainly see Eric's point and see this use of the Emmy award often in other user groups and sites where some authors or reviewers list as their qualifications a dozen and a half Emmy awards. Does not impress me, because I know and understand that they are all probably regional awards. The person may be good, not saying they are not, just as Charles mentioned, they might need a dose of reality or humility. The down side is definitely when it comes to clients, who see these bona fides as a guarantee of excellent work and then perpetuate the farce. Up here north of your border we have awards but I would be at a loss to name them, don't really give a damn about them either. Best award is a sincere thanks from the last client you work for that helps you get the next client you are gonna work for..... Together with the recognition of your peers with a "did you shoot that? Nice work!" that is in my mind the bottom line. Happy New Year!
    Brian Murphy
    Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
    Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii -Sony A6400/A6000
    Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
    Rokinon AF 18mm F2.8, AF 50mm F1.4
    Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
    DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
    DJI Mavic Mini
    Konovas motorized slider kit.
    Teradek Vidiu kit-PFY Eagle Eye/iPad mini 5

8. Collapse Details
    These are real awards. Solid metal. No silly virtual laurels. Only for the films that made the public laugh. And you can use them as a paperweight.

Sadly only online now. But a bit of fun during the corona lockdown: stay home stay save and watch comedy
    https://goldensmile.festivee.com/

award.jpg
    Last edited by Publimix; 01-01-2021 at 02:33 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Everything is relative though. You could be a 48 Hour Film Festival winner in a small city without much competition or you could be a winner in LA or NYC. Either way you’re still a winner against a pool of competitors that was determined by your geography.

Regional Emmys are the same way. They are to award content creators that made content specifically for their own region. I suspect the region that includes LA has much stiffer competition than some other areas of the country, but that shouldn’t minimize someone winning an award in a less competitive market.

The “big Emmys” - assuming you mean Primetime Emmys and not all of the other national Emmy award competitions (Daytime, News and Documentary, Sports, Engineering and International) isn’t a step above regional Emmy competition per se, it is a different competition altogether that awards national television programming, that is content that was created for a national audience that aired between 6pm and 2am - hence bigger audiences, bigger budgets, stronger competition, and more mainstream, national prestige for winning the award because more people have heard of the programs that win.

One doesn’t win a Regional Emmy because they weren’t good enough for a Primetime Emmy, just as one wouldn’t win a Sports Emmy because they weren’t good enough to win a Daytime Emmy, they win because out of everything that was submitted they created the best regional content intended primarily for their regional audience. For example, if Spielberg makes a great commercial for USC Film School and it only airs in the southwest part of the country, it’s not eligible for any of the national Emmy awards, it’s only eligible for a regional Emmy. If USC submits it for a regional Emmy and it wins, should Spielberg not accept the award in protest?

I see your point with people perhaps posturing as a Primetime winner, but if you make something that is eligible to win an Emmy award in your region and you beat out your competition and win an Emmy should you not say that you’re an Emmy award winner? Should someone that wins a Engineering Emmy add their own asterisk on their trophy that says “Not a Primetime Emmy”?
    Last edited by chris f; 01-05-2021 at 03:06 PM.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I picked up a "Sports" Emmy nomination year before last (for some work I did for NBC for the Winter Olympics). Is that one a fraud too, or are they different from "regional" Emmys?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast