Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    ... As far as I know, Oscar winners can call themselves Academy Award winners, even if their particular Oscar was in an obscure field or a Student category, for example. And those who earn doctorate degrees are entitled to use the honorific term "doctor", whether they're a physician or not (while most with doctorate decrees choose not to decorate themselves with such a title, generally unless they're a PhD). ..
    Back many years ago, we knew a Soviet emigre who always introduced himself as Dr. Kush***** (more letters for a real name). And, before we had even met him, someone else told us, "He always introduces himself as a doctor but he's only got a PhD equivalent in a non-medical field".

As an aside note on titles, in Germany an engineer with a masters' degree can call himself/herself Diplom-Ingenieur (abbreviated to Dipl-Ing, as something one puts on his business card). The difference here from the US - but this was the same as in the USSR and other nations that copied the German system - is that in order to get the diploma, one would have to do an additional presentation on a given topic to a cadre of professors, while fielding their questions. My father's Masters in Engineering was diploma defended as well. Someone told him he should put it on his business card and resume as well. He just shrugged it off. Because then you'd have to explain the whole process to Americans. In English.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    FG's Season 16, Episode 1 "Emmy-Winning Episode" is on right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    "They hated it so much they gave us a negative Emmy. We now owe them an Emmy."
    I remember that one...

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Well yes, it is good for the Emmy's business to encourage this fraud and deception so of course they would say that. That doesn't make it right. Just like if the "Eric Coughlin Academy Awards" sends out a letter saying you can call yourself an "Academy Award Winner" if you win an "Eric Coughlin Academy Award," do that mean it's okay to call yourself an "Academy Award Winner" then?

I don't see why it is so difficult for people in their marketing to simply put the word "Regional" in with their listing of "Emmy Award Winning." I feel like that is the best and clearest solution to avoid misleading clients rather than letting clients falsely think you won a big nationwide award. I'd imagine many who list "Emmy Award Winning" on their website and in their marketing are aware of how they are intentionally misleading clients, but choose to do so regardless.
    Nope. "Academy Award" is a trademark of AMPAS. You couldn't even call your awards the "Eric Coughlin Academy Awards", much less giving someone permission to call themselves an "Academy Award Winner" for winning your award.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    And let me clarify: I have no problem with your stance or opinions on this issue, I understand what you're saying.

The thing I have a problem with is your proposed remedy. I think there are civil ways to deal with it, and there are scorched earth nuclear options, and I think starting out at scorched earth is extremely unwarranted and civility would be more welcome.
    Just to clarify, Barry, as filmguy mentioned I was being a bit melodramatic with the "prison" thing as an exaggeration. More literally, I just think that as a video community we should spread awareness of these marketing schemes being something to be frowned upon and avoided, as unfortunately they seem to be commonplace now.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Nope. "Academy Award" is a trademark of AMPAS. You couldn't even call your awards the "Eric Coughlin Academy Awards", much less giving someone permission to call themselves an "Academy Award Winner" for winning your award.
    Yeah, but when I run my award ceremony from a country without extradition and that doesn't honor American copyright laws, what are they going to do?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Back many years ago, we knew a Soviet emigre who always introduced himself as Dr. Kush***** (more letters for a real name). And, before we had even met him, someone else told us, "He always introduces himself as a doctor but he's only got a PhD equivalent in a non-medical field".

As an aside note on titles, in Germany an engineer with a masters' degree can call himself/herself Diplom-Ingenieur (abbreviated to Dipl-Ing, as something one puts on his business card). The difference here from the US - but this was the same as in the USSR and other nations that copied the German system - is that in order to get the diploma, one would have to do an additional presentation on a given topic to a cadre of professors, while fielding their questions. My father's Masters in Engineering was diploma defended as well. Someone told him he should put it on his business card and resume as well. He just shrugged it off. Because then you'd have to explain the whole process to Americans. In English.
    Continuing down this rabbit hole, the term "doctor" originates from latin for "teacher". "Doctor" was used to refer to an 'especially learned person who was authorized and qualified to teach a particular subject'. So while the designation MD (doctor of medicine) does predate PhD (doctor of philosophy) by more than 100 years, the term "Doctor" as a description/title for a teacher/especially learned person, like one with a PhD today, was first.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    *PLOT TWIST*

Taken directly from the nataspsw.org website:

PROMOTION

All publicity, advertising or any written reference undertaken by nominees and award recipients to the Emmy® Awards, must clearly state that the awarded achievement is for a Regional Emmy® Award. The word “Regional” must appear in these instances. The recipient of a nomination or an Emmy® Award may refer in advertising and publicity to the fact that they have been honored only for one year after the recognition was bestowed. They may use a replica of the Emmy® statuette in such advertising. Individuals who significantly contributed to the production or craft but were not honored with a statuette cannot specifically advertise they are an Emmy® award recipient. They can only state they worked on the recognized program.

Also, serious question: What happens after a year passes? You can't say that you won an Emmy or you're just no longer allowed to promote your win?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Yeah, but when I run my award ceremony from a country without extradition and that doesn't honor American copyright laws, what are they going to do?
    I think they call Arri and have them remotely brick your cameras. You don't think it's a coincidence that most of the Oscar winning movies are shot on Arri cameras, do you? One hand washes the other... I'd buy some tinfoil and wrap them up.

9. Collapse Details
    One could do a fake Academy Award like tens of Chinese brands that are ADIDAS knock-offs. The difference is that the perceived target audience is likely to notice someone winning an Oscarr.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    *PLOT TWIST*

Taken directly from the nataspsw.org website:

PROMOTION

All publicity, advertising or any written reference undertaken by nominees and award recipients to the Emmy® Awards, must clearly state that the awarded achievement is for a Regional Emmy® Award.
    Hah! Good find, and that certainly changes things!

I certainly don't remember such language from when I entered, which was around 20 years ago, so I wonder if this policy is newer? The way I remember it, the 1 year thing was a restriction on using the image of the trophy in ads or press releases; you were allowed to use it for up to one year after winning.

Well, it looks like the method for correction already exists, and people concerned about this issue need only report the offender to the appropriate NATAS chapter (assuming this policy isn't specific to the PSW chapter).

Eric, sincere apologies; I thought I was giving accurate information as I remembered it, but you are correct, regional winners not only should specify Regional, they are required to (at least under the current PSW chapter's rules).
    Last edited by Barry_Green; 01-08-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast