Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I actually think going used is the wrong idea with a $50 budget in this case. Nothing solid or serious will ever go for as low as $50. Meanwhile, you'll spend half your budget on shipping and tax if you buy on ebay.

If you buy at b&h with the payboo card, you skip the tax and get free shipping and get something like this for $50 which looks decent: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...num_alloy.html

Or if you see a good sale on something, it may undercut the used market. I bought a few samyang fe lenses on Amazon prime day with 20% off an already discounted price. I've kept my eye on Ebay to compare prices and I still havent seen used copies sell for as low as I bought them new

2. Collapse Details
    Yeah, this is just for a GH3 with a lightweight lens. I hadn't thought much about the ball head. I had a monopod with one but didn't know they had become so popular on tripods. Thanks!

3. Collapse Details
    A few years ago I bought a Magnus VT-300 for about $50-60; as a cheap set of sticks for locked off shots it's been perfect. I've rarely run anything heavier than 2-4lbs on it, although more recently I did have it hold my EX1 (about 6lbs, I think) for about 4 hours. The listed weight limit is 15lbs but I'd be very hesitant to push it much past half that.

But for the price I can't complain. Even came with a bag!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Home Depot has some 8' wood planks that you can nail together to make a tripod. $3.57 per plank, so $10.71 for three, and you can probably just use nails you already have around the house. Gets about seven feet tall and can take a lot of weight, so may be a better option than the cheap tripods others are recommending which have much more limited height and weight capacities.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-ft-Lan...8731/301802514

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Eric.

6. Collapse Details
    A $50 survey tripod might be the sturdiest cheap option.

7. Collapse Details
    If you buy something on ebay, break it, or it gets delayed in the post, you can have a hissy fit and leave negative feedback. This damages a sellers reputation, so you need to read feedback, and sometimes ignore that one ďthe seller is a murdering criminalĒ stuff. Iíve given refunds to people because the Royal Mail delivered my item to the wrong address because you donít want a bad reputation comment, even when itís totally not your fault.

8. Collapse Details
    I have a $35 Neewer tripod, it's just junk, but if you only need something to put a camera on and lock it down, it might be OK.

9. Collapse Details
    Mega DZ's back...bunch of choices in there from the year:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/mega-deal-zone/deals

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Mega DZ's back...bunch of choices in there from the year:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/mega-deal-zone/deals
    Was just coming to post the same thing.

I know it’s at (or just beyond) the top end of the stated budget, but there’s a Magnus VT-400 on sale for $109. Not a super-fantastic-high-quality tripod by any stretch, but it’s functional and sturdy, and allows the kid to grow in his shooting style for a bit.
    Knoxville-based location sound mixer.

Instagram @sonolocus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast