Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    watched 30 seconds of the above video - i'd rather spend xmas weekend in rikers than have to finish it.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Me too. I'd love to see a BTS on the production side of a track like this.

"It's pronounced ton-vee. Like batton. And then vee, like the letter. It's meaning? It doesn't mean anything. Just say it over a couple of times. Get the pronunciation right. And don't worry about the pitch. We're going to hamsterize it anyway."

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I'd rather listen to the original hamster dance over and over and over and over and over and over and... Than that God-Awful horse sh!t that was on that vacation video. I guess I am old. Or I just have at least semi-tasteful taste. Ah, who am I kidding? It's both.

4. Collapse Details
    I don't know when the approach hit mainstream, but I think one of breakout tracks for this style was the remix of Tove Lo's Habits (Stay High) which was more popular (and arguably better) than the original.

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh2LWWORoiM

Remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYM-RJwSGQ8

I do really like chopped up vocals when it's not pitch shifted all over the place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwR6w2TgxY

5. Collapse Details
    If we're talking all music, it was waaaaay before that.

In rap, specifically, 2000s were filled with it.

As a New Yorker, have to reference Dipset.

NSFW

6. Collapse Details

Come to think of it, this is the first escaped hamster that I know of. Circa 2001. I never thought I would share anything by this artist after my friends stopped wearing UFOs.

(And yes, I know it's a cover. But there weren't any hamsters in the original.)

7. Collapse Details
    Wow....how did they mess up a Supertramp cover that badly. Btw I love Goodbye Stranger - total tangent

I have a sinking feeling that the creeping hamsterization of our culture portends our downfall

8. Collapse Details
    I mean, if we're talking about all music, pitch-shifting goes back to Alvin and the Chipmunks and the Beatles.

Even Bowie had a go in this 1967 "classic":

9. Collapse Details
    I am waiting for hamsters with vocoders to complete the circle with a finishing touch of telephone voice... Its all good. Happy that we do have a lot more choice in royalty free music than in the past.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Wow....how did they mess up a Supertramp cover that badly. Btw I love Goodbye Stranger - total tangent ...
    "Breakfast in America" was it in the spring/summer of 1979. They even played it on our Pan Am Rome-NYC flight. We brought over our "portable" radio from the USSR. Due to different frequencies of the bands, the AM worked fine and the FM didn't work at all. And AM played a lot of Supertramp.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast