Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Next maybe they can get canon to fix the R5 overheating problem

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Two posts have been deleted. Discuss anything you wish so long as we do not get into a political discussion. Plenty of other sites for that, but not here.

This decision by the federal government will have an impact on the drone industry not only for consumers and prosumers, but for companies and individuals that utilize DJI products for search and rescue, mapping, forensic animations, etc.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Was there a rumor that sony would?
    More than a rumor...haven't followed it though.

I could see a 1" RX-type sensor in one though.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    More than a rumor...haven't followed it though.

I could see a 1" RX-type sensor in one though.

Thanks - that's right. And such an informative video, too

That would be interesting to see- sony vs DJI. Clash of the dumpers

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    They do a pretty darn good job with all of their products. Surprisingly nice IQ on those drone cameras too, IMO. But yeah I'm surprised there isn't a viable competitor.
    I think there were plenty of competitors in drones, but DJI dispatched them one by one, outcompeting them on every metric plus lower price at the same time. Plus elaborate smear campaigns against competitors, fake reviews, owning every influencer, lobbying legislators around the world, etc. DJI plays hard and plays dirty and plays on every front all at the same time.

GoPro went out with a whimper. I think 3D Robotics and Parrot (French) are still in the game but barely.

It’s incredible that Sony wants to have a go at this. Hard to see them coming from behind to beat DJI’s pace of innovation, but maybe they have a killer battery tech up their sleeve or something like that? More likely it’ll be like Nikon’s KeyMission train crash (a GoPro competitor you might not even have noticed).

The guy who runs DJI is a complete nutter (like most tech CEOs) and obsessed with hardcore engineering to the exclusion of all else. Groups in the company are pitched against each other to develop new products, with a winner-takes-all set-up. I read an article saying the factory has world-beating automation on the assembly line, with hundreds of drones test-flying themselves and things like that. Not a soft target for a new entrant.

4 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Skydio is another U.S. start up that has produced some interesting drones including the Skydio 2. Backorders following the initial release took a full year to fulfill.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Hope they don’t make my Ronin inoperable. . .

8. Collapse Details
    SHOOT. National security takes precedence; none of us could possibly know for sure the risks or lack thereof. Either way, though, this is a huge bummer. I was really looking forward to the Mavic Pro 3 and I am not excited about competitors right now.

Will this impact the gimbals too?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    SHOOT. National security takes precedence; none of us could possibly know for sure the risks or lack thereof. Either way, though, this is a huge bummer. I was really looking forward to the Mavic Pro 3 and I am not excited about competitors right now.

I think so. But it seems like this is about choking US parts from going to DJI for manufacturing. They can still source them elsewhere and we can still buy their finished products. But it will probably hurt their bottom line and they may raise prices.

Oh, and apparently the national security aspect does not relate to data security. They've been targeted for participating in Uighur surveillance and, apparently, broader genetic surveillance? Dunno. But it's a human rights thing, ostensibly.

What does this mean for consumers of DJI products?
    You’ll still be able to purchase the DJI drone of your choice, just like you can still purchase Huawei products.

But if Huawei and SMIC are any indication, the transfer of any sophisticated technologies from the US to DJI will face restrictions and licensing and might not be allowed to proceed. We asked former DJI employee David Benowitz for his observations:

DJI being added to the entity list will have serious repercussions for the drone industry, not just in preventing DJI from procuring US-made chips, sensors and other technology, but in limiting the availability of cheap, accessible drones to enterprises and consumers. It’s important to note that DJI has already begun moving away from US suppliers before this announcement, with just this week they moved away from integrating US-made FLIR sensors into their latest drone hardware.

What about longer-term implications?

If DJI is kept on the entity list for awhile, we’ll see a further divergence in the US and Chinese supply chains for drones, which has been happening for awhile now. China has had the lead since the birth of the drone industry, but moving its leading manufacturer to the entity list will open up opportunities for US drone startups like Skydio, Inspired Flight, FreeFly, Vantage Robotics, Teal Drones, and more.
    https://dronedj.com/2020/12/18/dji-a...inese-company/

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post

At least with the gimbals, if everything is working right now, you could load the app on an old phone and "sandbox it" (never connect to the internet or update the app or gimbal firmware). This could probably get you through the useful life of it.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast