Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    "DJI Added to “Economic Blacklist” in the United States"
    "As if tensions could get any more on edge, today it seems that DJI has found itself blacklisted by the United States Department of Commerce, meaning it’s blocked from doing business with US-based companies! What does this break down to and mean for us? Well, American companies cannot export parts to DJI, and as a side effect of this, US-based consumers will possibly have a harder time finding and purchasing DJI Products."

https://www.slrlounge.com/dji-added-...united-states/
    www.VideoAbe.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

2. Collapse Details
    Whether completely harmless or not, our government probably doesn't think it's a good idea to have Chinese drones flying around American soil.

Not sure if that answer or this topic, in general, will go against forum guidelines, but the above is an obvious consideration.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    You guys are gonna get this thread locked so fast

4. Collapse Details
    As far as my comment, I read some more articles after your post and it was indeed deemed a security concern, so that's that.

You (anyone) can't post a topic like that without it turning as it has nothing to do with the video/photo production industry.

5. Collapse Details
    The (presumably) incoming administration pretty much announced it would follow the (presumably) outgoing administration's stance on trade with China. Likewise, UK followed the US and banned Huawei from participating in the roll-out of 5G there. Germany did allow Huawei to build its own 5G but with some very strict rules, which may force the Chinese state-controlled company to abstain from getting involved.

As to the rest - https://asiatimes.com/2020/12/belt-a...n-under-biden/

A warning - it's politics by other means. If you don't feel comfortable, don't read it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Oh, much like Xiaomi/Huawei phones, DJI will just open a subsidiary somewhere else, change a few parts and resume business as usual.

Which reminds me of the story how the CIA opened up a front company in order to buy titanium from the USSR for the construction of SR71 Blackbird.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    As far as my comment, I read some more articles after your post and it was indeed deemed a security concern, so that's that.

You (anyone) can't post a topic like that without it turning as it has nothing to do with the video/photo production industry.
    nothing to do with the industry? it could certainly have an effect on prices and availability of their products for Americans and possibly others

I posted no commentary. I'm not even sure what to make of it.
    Last edited by ahalpert; 12-18-2020 at 04:28 PM.

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Maybe this will be a good time for an American company to jump on the opportunity.

It's odd that no other maker has much of a presence in the aerials.

DJI took most of the pie.

9. Collapse Details
    They do a pretty darn good job with all of their products. Surprisingly nice IQ on those drone cameras too, IMO. But yeah I'm surprised there isn't a viable competitor. You see these little upstarts but I dont think any has taken root and I'm not aware of a big company launching a drone. Was there a rumor that sony would?

10. Collapse Details
    The issue with competing with DJI is they're so massive and entrenched at this point... and willing to do pretty much whatever it takes to keep that dominance... that going head to head with them is largely futile unless you have massively deep pockets.

Look at what happened with 3DR and their competition for the Phantom (the 3DR Solo). DJI just dropped their pricing on the Phantom to rock-bottom and largely put 3DR out of business. 3DR didn't really help themselves, but I was at the NAB where 3DR released the Solo... it was the talk of the show... then the Phantom 3 dropped with a price that was stupid aggressive and the wind just disappeared from Solo's sails.

I begrudgingly use DJI products... but if a viable competitor in the drone space came along, I'd ditch them in a heartbeat. Between their competitive tactics, craptastic support, and tendency to completely abandon product lines when the new ones come out... I would be happy to see them taken down a few pegs.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast