Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Surrounded by Mods
    is there any sort of contribution chest on this site that would help out with expenses?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land
    the SCI-fest DVD is going to be one dvd.. i made my mind up on that along time ago... so good thinking Barry we are on the same page.

I just can't imagine the complaints i will get, but so be it.
    It'll just be another incentive to make it into the top votes, so that a person's film can be on the DVD as well.

Those who don't make it will know why in advance by how they placed, but they will have learned a lot through the process & will do even better the next time 'round.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

3. Collapse Details
    As somebody with a job outside of film-making, but with a more-than-keen interest in films and making them, the Zombiefest was an opportunity (excuse?) for me to quickly get a script together, gather some friends and have some fun and make a five minute short. My learning curve was vertical on my entry for that contest.

I didn't enter for votes. I didn't enter to get on a dvd. I loved the comments received on the site and learned from them (some more than others). Frankly, I can't imagine having even a nano-second of concerns that (a) our film didn't place in the top twenty, or (b) our film might not make it to the dvd, or (c) I wasn't getting enough personal interaction with those running this site. I wanted to buy the dvd as a cap on the whole experience and a means of hopefully tossing some money back into Jarred's pocket to compensate for his expenses (t-shirts, bandwidth, etc. etc. etc). I admit (and he knows it) that I disagree with his pricing on the box set because, again, he's basically only just covering his expenses. I think that's, quite frankly, nuts.

So for those whinging (and I mean that in a kind way) about not getting enough stroking about some aspect of their project, I understand, but welcome to the real world where everything simply doesn't come in a nice, neat, friendly, "Wal-Mart greeter" package. And, again, this is whinging about a guy who is bending over backwards and investing his personal time and money in this site and all its manifestations because HE ENJOYS IT. Too many people start whining and I know what I'd do ...

Anyway,

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land
    the SCI-fest DVD is going to be one dvd.. i made my mind up on that along time ago... so good thinking Barry we are on the same page.
    Jarred, WHAT ARE YOU - FREAKING NUTS????? I'm gonna sit here and bust my balls for another contest and end up in 50th place and not even get on the DVD!!!!!! What are you thinking!!!!!! How dare you!!!!!!!!! If I enter you OWE IT TO ME to put my entry on the DVD!!!!

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU'RE DEALING WITH!!!!!!!
    God: Every time I try to talk to someone it's "sorry this" and "forgive me that" and "I'm not worthy"... (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, 1975)

4. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Dahopa your attitude is commendable and indicitive of a well balanced individual who understands what really matters in life. I totally respect your view point. However, most people have been pretty careful to not rant or get pissed, but just to express their frustration.

Not to be a "Wal-Mart GReeter" but -- I think both sides of this coin are perfectly valid.

And I'm not just trying to be mister let's get along I really think that dual perspective is not only possible but legitimate.

If I didn't get on the DVD I would be bummed. It's a cool thing to show your friends all neatly packaged etc. Not to mention that up until that cut it's been a completely community, group, all enclusice process. So I would be bummed - I worked hard on my short and would want to know that that little message in a bottle I sent out there had as far reaching an impact as possible.

So people feel attached to their films - they are in many cases their babies.

But, the fact that these contests draw a lot of attention to the forum not withstanding, Jarred is also justified in feeling bitched at for running out of cheeze dip when he didn't have to buy cheese dip or one keg of domestic, AND one keg of import, etc. in the first place, all because he wanted to throw the coolest party on the block.

So it's completely right to feel bummed about getting something you poured your heart and soul into cut from the final showcase

and

Its comepletley right to feel pooped on when you've overextended yourself and your resources in the first place to do something cool for the gang.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

5. Collapse Details
    So what's the hourly rate the members should be paying for these counseling sessions?
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdanstan
    ... And I'm not just trying to be mister let's get along I really think that dual perspective is not only possible but legitimate.

If I didn't get on the DVD I would be bummed...
    Gotcha and point well taken.

I know that if I invited some friends over and ran out of cheese dip or got the "WTF - you only got Budweiser?" comment, I might think twice about inviting them back. (Of course, my friends would likely not say a word, disappear and come back with some Stella. Or at least that's what I'd like to believe ...)

I just see a guy busting his ass over something that is very worthwhile and obviously popular and it's costing him money, but he's getting flack because not everybody could get on the dvd - and they didn't like how they got the bad news.

To try and link our perspectives, I think we agree that it would have been "nice" if everyone had made it to the dvd, or if they hadn't to have had some sort of inkling in advance. On the other hand, from the "host's" point of view, don't go to the party, discover there's not enough cheese dip and then send him a letter the next day whining about it. Just thank him for the really great time and move on.

And know that at the next party, don't focus so much on the sparse cheese dip - just enjoy the free beer.
    God: Every time I try to talk to someone it's "sorry this" and "forgive me that" and "I'm not worthy"... (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, 1975)

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Envision
    So what's the hourly rate the members should be paying for these counseling sessions?
    lol!

8. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Envision
    the fee is putting up with me when I'm being unreasonable

Dahopa -- I would TOTALLY agree with you except that hopefully your friends don't have a deep sense of personal connection to their budweisers, and haven't (rightly or wrongly) invested some sense of their achievement, validation as beer drinkers, and self worth in obtaining said budweiser

but that's me -- that's why Jarred and Barry had taken to calling me "Mr. Excitable" by the end of the contest.

I just try to temper my excitedness with lots of well desrved ass kissing
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdanstan
    I just try to temper my excitedness with lots of well desrved ass kissing
    Er ...

Did I mention previously that I really like the Johnny Cash booking pic?

10. Collapse Details
    ha ha.. sure i agree people can be pissed.. of course thats cool to be pissed. just dont bitch to me that i did something wrong.

I spent an average of 2 hours on each film putting it onto the DVD... or trying to put it on the DVD. I spent over a $1000 on Tshirts for everyone.. I gave away my own prizes.. Add it all up. The DVD's dont make a profit.. enough to buy me and Barry a coffee. its not about profit for me. Ask Jdanstan about how many hours we spent and how many fedex and USPS trips it took to get his computer to play with my computer... and this is when he was running from a hurricane. He shoulda got extra points for effort... and time. But hes one entry.. I just couldnt spend the time handholding for everyone. I tried, but we ran out of time.

Alot of Film Festivals out there only contact accepted entries.. and they charge entry fees. hell Sundance only started notifying SOME people they didnt accept, and Sundance has 100 people working and a million dollar budget. So just dont complain when im giving you something for free. You can be pissed.. just dont try and take it out on me.

And Thanks Dahopa for your support, i wish everyone understood how it works like you.

Lets hope Sci-fest turns out alot better, and alot smoother. It was a learning experience for all of us.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast