Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I also am fascinated by logistics. If anyone knows of a good book on WWII logistics, please advise. Speer's whitewashed book gives some glancing insights into his armament production, but I'm more interested in what it took to keep an army supplied overall.
    The main German problem was the paucity of output of their factories. In fact, I'd assert that it was the single biggest reason for the Axis Powers defeat. Speer argued that the production methodology (Taktzeit) helped them when the factory was destroyed by bombing. But that was indeed a whitewash. For example, KdF (soon to be known as Volkswagen) produced 25-40 fewer units per plant's floor space than similar Willys-Overland and Ford plants in the US. If one accounts for the fact that a Jeep was significantly heavier and more capable than a Kübelwagen/Schwimmwagen, then the difference grows to 50-80/1.

But here are some bits and pieces on logistics.

Germany.

https://ww2clash.com/logistics

the US (from the horse's mouth)

https://history.army.mil/html/books/..._Pub_70-29.pdf

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    The main German problem was the paucity of output of their factories.
    Speer goes on about this a bit. His frustration was that they were not even producing at a rate equal to WWI. He blamed a good portion of it on the extraordinary levels of bureaucracy, paperwork, approval levels. He claims to have tried to eliminate these lengthy procedures in procurement of raw materials.

Thanks for the links.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    HEY! That's my living room!
    How'd you get in, Matt?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    OK, from logistics back to the humble delivery guy.
    And the most humble?
    The pizza delivery guy.

A love letter/homage to the pizza guy.
    (note the edit at 1:13)

https://youtu.be/Vz2ZaxfyoDk

6. Collapse Details
    I'm teaching my 16-year old how to drive and we leave Manhattan for a decent sized parking lot in New Jersey. Since no one is working in the office building this lot is empty, except Amazon has leased out the use of half of it. Not to park, but instead as a training space to teach drivers how best to maneuver those Sprinter trucks in tight spaces. They have a lot of new seasonal drivers so now they leave that course of plastic cones setup all the time.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    I'm teaching my 16-year old how to drive and we leave Manhattan for a decent sized parking lot in New Jersey. Since no one is working in the office building this lot is empty, except Amazon has leased out the use of half of it. Not to park, but instead as a training space to teach drivers how best to maneuver those Sprinter trucks in tight spaces. They have a lot of new seasonal drivers so now they leave that course of plastic cones setup all the time.
    Apparently not stopping in the dead-center middle of the road wasn't a lesson that the driver going through my neighborhood today had had, yet.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Apparently not stopping in the dead-center middle of the road wasn't a lesson that the driver going through my neighborhood today had had, yet.
    Externalities don't matter, haven't you heard?

9. Collapse Details
    Supplying War by Martin Greveld is referenced by the youtuber TIK as one of the few books on ww2 logistics.

10. Collapse Details
    It's Martin van Creveld, a Dutch born Israeli military historian.

And logistics can be a problem, when you have an overabundance of the materiel, which is what can happen around the holidays in a system that is built to sustain "normal" traffic but is generally incapable of predicting the exact size of the spike.

Side note - Sylvester Stadler, (Knight Cross with the Oak Leaf cluster and Swords) was a 34 year colonel in charge of the 9th SS-Panzer-Division „Hohenstaufen“ in Normandy until being heavily wounded. In his memoirs, Stadler wrote about counting the number of artillery shells that fell onto his division. On an average day, the count was ~ 25,000. In response, the Germans had about 1,500, maybe 2,000, when adding the long range heavy guns of its parent Panzer corps. That's what you call "Materialschlacht".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast