Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    ... But, maybe I'm overblowing the problem and turning into an Old Fogey early, lol. ...
    This is a good start. Wait, it gets better .... I mean, worse.

Out in the boonies, we have a personal locker offsite. It's a locked mailbox down the road. The neighbors all chipped in and we put up an 8 box secure mail box that has room for larger packages. It doesn't solve the Amazon complaint, but it covers some of it.
    Last edited by Paul F; 12-15-2020 at 03:13 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Perhaps this is the wave of the future, but in that future I picture a homes where there are secure drop points - a digital card scan by the delivery person that puts it into the outdoor locker via security camera. Sure. But we're just not there yet,
    I take it you do not have Amazon lockers where you are? They've been offered in my area for at least a year, maybe two now.

UPS just introduced an incentive to have packages held at a local delivery center vs. door delivery. FedEx has offered package holding for a while, too.

So if you don't have the options yet, you will, soon. Legislating stuff into a delivery window will probably create more issues than it solves -- currently a lot of UPS drivers will run through the truck scanning packages as delivered at 4:50pm so they don't get dinged for late deliveries. Then the packages show up whenever they feel like it. Adding federal incentive for ALL packages would create a lot of bad behavior, imo.

3. Collapse Details
    Amazon probably wants a certain amount of stealing and complaining (11pm deliveries), which will help fast track getting lockers on every street, acceptance of drone delivery etc.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    The number of things people order from Amazon on a daily basis is probably insane.

It's a miracle how the wheels keep turning. If everyone had enough and people just decided to stop working/delivering, the billions would cease overnight.

5. Collapse Details
    I don't see this as a problem. Amazon is hiring more delivery people or contractor companies and they are being paid to work additional hours. If you don't want someone coming to your door at such hours than at checkout you can set your deliveries to go to a local dropbox location, and then pickup the packages at your convenience. I don't know what else they're supposed to do.

I live in NYC, where the deliveries are so intense at this time of year that any given truck may only be delivering to a two block radius that trip, and there may be half a dozen truck shipments such as that one to that two block radius each day. Try multiplying that out to the thousands of blocks across just this one city and it becomes clear how intense this logistical challenge really is.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    This isn't 100% relevant, but close enough - Ronnie Chieng on Amazon prime/now:

7. Collapse Details
    Let me sum this up in three words: FIRST WORLD PROBLEM.

Heck, I’m fine with an 11pm delivery. Just deliver my stuff. I’ve had several things over the last few months get lost in transit and even be noted as delivered and handed to me, but the item was never delivered. Just had another package from Amazon get lost in transit. Ordered end of November, scheduled delivery by Dec 7th. Last tracking info showed it leaving their facility in KY on Dec 3rd(only ~7 hours away) never to be seen again. Delivery declared lost and refund issued about a day ago.

And I don’t live in a particularly large city, but even we have multiple Amazon locker locations, if you choose to use them.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    ... I live in NYC, where the deliveries are so intense at this time of year that any given truck may only be delivering to a two block radius that trip ... .
    I live in a high rise (or, mid rise). 440 units. A few weeks ago, I went to our front door security desk and asked the lady if the US post truck has arrived. She replies, "Yup, he's been here for about thirty minutes". I wince, "I guess I am too late with my own mail". - "Oh, no. He'll be here for a couple more hours, at least".

So, even with the OT pay, the postman can visit 5-6 high rises max.

9. Collapse Details
    I just saw that Amazon is offering garage deliveries, if you get their garage door opener thing which apparently every Amazon driver can open. Not something I'm interested in, but if you have a porch pirate problem it's one possible solution.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    I just saw that Amazon is offering garage deliveries, if you get their garage door opener thing which apparently every Amazon driver can open. Not something I'm interested in, but if you have a porch pirate problem it's one possible solution.
    There are people understandably concerned about the security of such arrangements. For them you can get a locker that looks like a big trunk by your door. The delivery people can open a door to put stuff in, but once the package passes a flap the only way to get it out is by accessing an additional lock, which only you have. Protects you from porch pirates and allays any fears of unscrupulous delivery people.

Just a minute ago I had a delivery from Home Depot. The woman took my photo holding the deliver to prove completion.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast