Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    My bad DLD, should Doublecheck an authors name. Logistics in ww2 are often overlooked. My grandfather ran a section of the red ball express. His unit was in the last line of defense in the battle of the bulge.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    My bad DLD, should Doublecheck an authors name. Logistics in ww2 are often overlooked. My grandfather ran a section of the red ball express. His unit was in the last line of defense in the battle of the bulge.
    The tidbit on Red Ball vs. rail.

The Germans used narrow gauge in WWI (Feldbahn, literally field road). In WWII, they mostly relied on the standard railroad networks, especially in France, Italy and the USSR. But, the front line formations also built their own narrow gauge rail networks, since the roads were poor, the trucks were far too expensive and fuel for them was allocated by the strategic planners, the terrain could get utterly inhospitable, et cetera, et cetera. The narrow gauge then became a LEGO type build. The tracks were already connected to the concrete foundations and the construction battalions just had to lay them down. The locomotives and the rolling stock were already on the books and this was a perfect way to deliver ammo to the battlefield. (the railroad generally stopped a few miles short of the trenches, in order to avoid the enemy artillery ... the tracked vehicles then did the rest)

Now, it's my assertion that the Allies were far too optimistic in Western France. The Germans blew up what the Allies bombers didn't and it took about half a year for the full gauge rail to be rebuilt. The Allies would have been much better served to copy the narrow gauge design with the precast parts. Rail, as shown by the modern commercial traffic, is far more capable of delivering heavy loads than wheeled vehicles over a rough terrain. Buses and airplanes are for the personnel. Trucks are for fuel and medical.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Let me sum this up in three words: FIRST WORLD PROBLEM.
    It is not even a "first world problem", it is an "american problem".

I like in an advanced 1st world country, yet I still at the likes of Amazon Prime and go WHOA!!

Am so very very VERY JEALOUS! At the huuuuuuuuge range, of extremely well priced goods, you have at your finger tips which can be at your door in almost no time at all.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

4. Collapse Details
    About 15 years ago, I was walking home from the beach and was stopped by a family of Dutch tourists. "Do you know a good family restaurant?" - "About three blocks from here, there's a Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet. It's priced reasonably and they have a good selection of food" - "What? An all-you-can-eat buffet? We don't want to eat that much. We're not from America".

That place went out of business in 2011. All because of tall, blond and fit tourists from the Netherlands.

5. Collapse Details
    Gosh Darn Dutch ruining our economy. What amazes me about the Dutch is, for such a small country, how industrious and inventive they are. It's not about size. Maybe it's about height?

6. Collapse Details
    It all starts with having good artists

56781_fullimage_vincent_van_gogh.jpg

Rembrandt_Self-portrait_(Kenwood).jpg

Two of the GOATs!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    It is not even a "first world problem", it is an "american problem".

I like in an advanced 1st world country, yet I still at the likes of Amazon Prime and go WHOA!!

Am so very very VERY JEALOUS! At the huuuuuuuuge range, of extremely well priced goods, you have at your finger tips which can be at your door in almost no time at all.
    Literally. Some items are available in 1 to 2 hours.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Gosh Darn Dutch ruining our economy. What amazes me about the Dutch is, for such a small country, how industrious and inventive they are. It's not about size. Maybe it's about height?
    Well, they did basically bring capitalism here in the 1600's, in what would become the world center of it, NY.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345