Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New Disney+ slate = Star Wars overload?
    I havent seen the Mandalorian yet, so I'm probably the last person who should be commenting, but... doesn't this seem like too much Star Wars? I fear the whole thing will be a bit contorted in service to the original saga (somewhat like the sequel trilogy, which alternated between shredding it and recycling it)

Both Star Wars and Star Trek are unique universes and histories, but I don't feel like there are as many sacred cows in Star Trek. And it's less oriented around a specific character than around a future history and set of scientific and cultural rules.

I feel like there's a high likelihood for these shows to be derivative, vacuous, ruinous of the original story or all three. Or maybe some will be great. what do you think? Should I be more excited?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfg...s-15794924.php

"Disney+ announced enough new Star Wars and Marvel shows to last another pandemic"

In the "Star Wars" universe, there are nearly a dozen new entries:

Andor
    Diego Luna reprises his character from “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” and, presumably, shoots aliens.

Obi-Wan
    Not only will Ewan McGregor reprise his role as Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi – something that had been rumored for years – but Hayden Christensen will return to the role of Anakin Skywalker in something Kathleen Kennedy calls “the rematch of the century.”

Rangers of the New Republic
    This is the first of two spin-offs from the series “The Mandalorian,”

Ahsoka
    This is the second spin-off from “The Mandalorian” that I just alluded to up there, but this one stars Rosario Dawson as the titular dual-lightsaber wielding rogue Jedi.

Lando
    Lando Calrissian will get his own show, though there’s no indication whether Donald Glover or Billy Dee Williams will reprise their roles as the outlaw gambler.

The Acolyte
    “Russian Doll” (Netflix) co-creator Leslye Headland is writing and show-runnig this mysterious female-centric “Star Wars” series.

The Bad Batch
    This series will function as an animated spin-off of the beloved series “The Clone Wars,” and picks up right after the “Order 66” to assassinate the Jedi that happened at the end of “The Revenge of the Sith.”

Visions
    An anthology of short anime films set in the “Star Wars” universe is, right now, limited to 10 episodes, but you can expect that to grow if it’s well received.

A Droid Story
    Finally, an animated R2D2 and C3PO story! That's basically all we know.
    www.VideoAbe.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    You're onto something. From a recent opinion column... Not too long; a couple good links:

In the future, we will only watch Star Wars
    Disney is out of ideas. They're winning anyway.
    https://theweek.com/articles/954668/...atch-star-wars
    Last edited by Jim Feeley; 12-14-2020 at 05:04 PM.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

3. Collapse Details
    The second season of Mandalorian is much better than the first. The episode where Rosario Dawson played alien Jedi Ahsoka was a highlight and the best of the series. A series focused on her character has a lot of potential. We were getting a lot of Star Wars wether we wanted to or not, so I think Disney is smart to focus on series where they've had more creative success and the stakes aren't as high, and the occasional one off movie like Rogue Squadron.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

4. Collapse Details
    The secret to the Lucasfilm/Disney Star Wars film strategy is explained in this clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgRFQJCHcPw

5. Collapse Details
    I believe this is footage from their announcement--

"Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

6. Collapse Details
    Seems excessive but they are surely doing due diligence when it comes to market research. Clearly they have concluded that there is a massive audience for this brand.

The other factor is that the virtual studios probably make this kind of production pretty inexpensive. No locations or lighting beyond the grid, just actors, costumes, and props. Heck, with some of the costumes these characters wear, they don't even need to record audio on set! Just dub it in later.

7. Collapse Details
    I love how after Solo/Last Jedi, they said they need to re-evaluate their strategy to avoid star wars fatigue. This is their answer, lol.

But really, if the content is all stellar, I'm for it. BUT... I'm wary of "bloatware". It's very difficult to avoid unnecessarily dragging stories to cover an entire season's worth of shows when many things would play better as a tight 2.5 hour experience. We've seen this with the Hobbit becoming a 9 hour slog, we've seen it with Hunger Games Mockingjay Part I and II (which would have made an excellent 2 hour movie and instead made for a mediocre 4.5 hour movie).

The approach here feels Disney+ oriented more than creatively oriented. Clearly, they need enough fresh star wars content to rotate through in order to have new episodes launching 12 out of 12 months every year and to thus keep everyone jacked into the freshly increased $7.99 a month price. $80/year, paid direct to Disney, certainly nets more than a new tentpole Star Wars movie launched every year (which requires supply chain, marketing, paying percentages to theaters, etc.). And this much content will certainly spur on the merchandising efforts with an endless stream of new characters and worlds to sell.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    doesn't this seem like too much Star Wars?
    You're a little late to the party. [cue] Bill Murry SNL clip. I've given up caring long ago in a galaxy far far away. Actually these tv derivatives have a better chance of creative freedom to explore side stories and characters than the nonsensical theatrical prequels, sequels, postquels. That being said I have no pressing desire to watch them.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 12-14-2020 at 03:22 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    doesn't this seem like too much Star Wars?
    No.

I fear the whole thing will be a bit contorted in service to the original saga
    What does that mean?

(somewhat like the sequel trilogy, which alternated between shredding it and recycling it)
    Nice metaphor!

I don't feel like there are as many sacred cows in Star Trek.
    All of the Star Wars cows are dead.

I feel like there's a high likelihood for these shows to be derivative, vacuous, ruinous of the original story or all three.
    Absolutely!

Or maybe some will be great.
    Pfft.

Should I be more excited?
    No.
    Last edited by combatentropy; 12-14-2020 at 06:59 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    "I fear the whole thing will be a bit contorted in service to the original saga"

What does that mean?
    I think what I mean is the compulsive need to reverently refer back to the original. And simultaneously maintain its plot/character continuity as they violate it both to show their independence and also because they're not (allowed to be) creative enough to properly walk the tightrope or, in fact, develop something new that departs from the original trilogy. I think the sequel trilogy could have been interesting set at the Jedi academy where we see Kylo Ren turn evil. (There were memorable books set at the academy.) But then Ford and Fisher would have been too old to recast for those parts and they would have missed the nostalgia dollars.

Classic JJ Abrams move - focus on getting asses in seats with casting etc more than on the actual story.

And sure - these new shows COULD be great. It all comes down to the writing. But I'm guessing it will be hit and miss.

It sort of feels like the end of an Oprah episode ("you get a spinoff! You get a spinoff! You get...")

Some critic wrote about the new star wars releases that the star wars universe was meant to be sketched but not charted (unlike LOTR which, according to them, was more fleshed out).

My personal feeling is that we all had an amazing time with the original trilogy (which - let's face it - was already trending towards repetition and self-parody with return of the jedi). I watched each original film innumerable times as a kid and quote them frequently. On some level, I feel like we're all hoping to repeat that experience.

Maybe rogue one achieved it? I havent seen it yet...

But...look at the interest this particular thread has engendered. Obviously, there's a massive built-in audience for SW that will grab a subscription to at least skim through episodes at bedtime.

My hopes are low, but maybe one of these shows will be amazing.

I think Netflix has a better idea with adapting well-received novels like Altered Carbon and The Witcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast