Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Fun food discoveries last year
    Some I just had time to experiment with and some were pretty new to me.
    Black garlic, harissa, piri piri, zatar (sumac), Lupin ( ground and jar) , black soybeans, chayote, konjac and oat fiber pasta, tamarind, heirloom veggies, marmite, Berbere, mesquite flour, black sesame oil, lower carb potatoes , various miso
    Want to try list:
    Black tucupi
    More Foods from Peru and Oaxaca

2. Collapse Details
    Thank you --- although I don't know which I want to try without going on a Google quest. Maybe a little annotation, for the lazy ones like me?

The pandemic is not all bad. Besides a reduction in worldwide pollution, it has made me a better cook. I can make a fried egg that would impress a chef.

3. Collapse Details
    Black soybeans- very low carb, used in chilli and as refried beans. Harassi- Morocco pepper condiment, I’ve used it on scrambled eggs lower sodium than some other sauces. Piri piri - South African hot sauce, used to have to buy online now local Kroger carries it. Black garlic- garlic they stick in rice cooker for a couple of weeks. Low/ no sodium umami goodness. Zaatar- sumac and other spices- third condiment in much of Middle East-little lemony- I’ve out it on scrambled eggs and veggies. Berbere-Ethiopian spice blend. Marmite, like veggimite or the Swiss version, lots of umami but high in sodium, used to create a meaty taste. Ground Lupin- no carb grits, dahl or side dish- high protein. Made a stir fry with it, simple add water microwave 3 minutes, takes on whatever you flavor it with.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Cool beans!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Fail for me was any of the low carb cereals, bought a couple different ones some online pricy and some in stores. Just not good enough for expense hassle.
    Low carb bread- aldis didn’t taste right but I used it. Sola was frozen was a little better but not great. Monday I tried a new one aunt millies regional Midwest. Very very good. My mom without knowing it was low carb said it was very good. My guess is all the bread companies will have great tasting low carb low calorie loaves soon. All these are dirty keto ingredients.

6. Collapse Details
    My discovery was how cheap it is to make a pizza from scratch. Your average 12 inch pizza is only like two dollars worth of ingredients. No wonder there are so many pizza joints, good profit margins. Learning to make Chicago Style pizza as I miss it from my youth. Have gotten pretty close to the taste of what I remember. Learning how to flatten and stretch the dough is an art that takes practice.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    Fail for me was any of the low carb cereals, bought a couple different ones some online pricy and some in stores. Just not good enough for expense hassle.
    Low carb bread- aldis didn’t taste right but I used it. Sola was frozen was a little better but not great. Monday I tried a new one aunt millies regional Midwest. Very very good. My mom without knowing it was low carb said it was very good. My guess is all the bread companies will have great tasting low carb low calorie loaves soon. All these are dirty keto ingredients.
    Are you preparing for a future keto run?

I tried and failed many times...brain is just not wired like that.

But intermittent fasting was very much right up my alley and something I kind of did already (on a smaller scale).

8. Collapse Details
    I had an A1c of 7.0 in August of 2019, dropped thirty pounds by December and got down to 5.6. Just trying to be much more conscious of what I’m eating. Not sure if I can do keto but I’m definitely finding lots of options that weren’t around a year ago.

9. Collapse Details
    Wait what are they putting in low carb bread?

Let's be honest - potatoes are where it's at if you want a nutritious starch

White rice is what we rely on these days because my daughter has very sensitive digestion

10. Collapse Details
    Am going to try a Lupin flour and vital wheat gluten pizza crust soon. Also want to try coconut flour and zanthum gum fake French fries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast