Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I pre-ordered the fresnel and barn doors from B&H last night, as well.

I guess it’s just a waiting game on all of it and especially my light. All of the reviews I’ve seen on Youtube appear to all be V-mount versions. It seems a lot of newer companies prioritize V-mounts, now. It’s like they think that’s all that anyone uses. Thank you very much, RED.
    It's because the indie revolution/post 5d world has gone in that direction. I don't see any of the lower end budget film makers using Gold. For the latter, I see mostly more experienced, older, higher budget, bigger crew, etc. I mean, there are sooo many cheap no-name v mount batteries now to go with all of the cheap lights. You're not gonna see falcon eyes and all of these other chines lights offering Gold, so it's vicious circle that has made it the #1 cheap battery solution.

It's my first choice as well, for all of the reasons above...even though I much prefer the secure connection of a Gold mount.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    It's because the indie revolution/post 5d world has gone in that direction. I don't see any of the lower end budget film makers using Gold. For the latter, I see mostly more experienced, older, higher budget, bigger crew, etc. I mean, there are sooo many cheap no-name v mount batteries now to go with all of the cheap lights. You're not gonna see falcon eyes and all of these other chines lights offering Gold, so it's vicious circle that has made it the #1 cheap battery solution.

It's my first choice as well, for all of the reasons above...even though I much prefer the secure connection of a Gold mount.
    Oh yeah. I was just kind of venting on the obvious. I mean V-mount has been around since at least the late(r) 90's, but in the US, it was no where near as popular as the "Gold Standard" Gold Mount. You rarely seemed to see them outside of "Sony Shops", and even then it still wasn't that widespread.

And of course, looking back, you can see how it has become so popular. RED chose, to go with V-Mount for their battery mount and around the same time was when you started to get the big influx of "Cheap Chinese Knock-Off" Li-ion batts and the indie and low budget guys who had only shot on DSLR's and the like migrating and aspiring to RED and probably didn't know any different(you still see a lot of people who think that all bricks are V-mounts or generically refer to all batts as V-mounts). So it was kind of the perfect storm. Just look at today. For about the last five or six years even Anton Bauer and PAG have been making their batteries available in V-Mount, as well.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Looks like Aputure just killed all those Aputure killers lol! Hope those of you who bought a magenta tinted Godox don’t feel too down-hearted.

https://www.aputure.com/families/amaran/
    Not me, my five crappy Magenta-tinted Godox (three VL300s and two VL150s I got from Adorama for Black Friday) are doing great and making me good money the past few months.
    The slight Magenta bias is a non issue unless you cannot color correct. We've been live streaming with them and the images and skin tones look wonderful, clients have even specifically
    commented how great talent looks, even with some of the crappy, low end BMD Studio cams we used at a TV studio last weekend or our old Sony PXW-X70s I used the other night. vMix has
    color correction controls, it took just a hair of compensation to make talent look great.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    So does the 200X have the same cruddy bi-color tech as the 300X? That is, it only uses half of the wattage for 3200 and 5600 so is essentially a 100w LED light except when shooting at 4300k. I don't understand how many companies such as Litepanels have figured out how to do bi-color without losing 50% of the light's brightness (Litepanels only loses like 10% brightness at 5600k and 3200k) while Aputure and some other companies fail so hard here.

At 100w, the 200x is similiar wattage to the Practilite 802, but cheaper and with what appears to be worse build quality. Also, they advertise no dangling power supply, but there is a dangling power supply. It's smaller and lighter, yes, but it's still a dangling power supply. They should really make a way to easily mount the power supply to the light. Again, Litepanels has done well with attaching their power supplies to the LED light itself. The Practlite 802 which I have has a small dangling power supply and it has been a bit of a pain. Same with the Luxli Timpani.

The two advantages to a separate power supply are reduced weight on the light head, ability to use the power supply as a sand bag, and ability to control the light from the power supply instead of from up high on the stand at the head. In the case of the 200X, none of these advantages are present as the power supply is not heavy enough to use as a sand bag, the weight is not significant enough to not want that extra weight in the head of the light, and there are no light controls on the power supply, so no benefit there. I wonder why a company then chooses to have the small and light power supply be not integrated into the light head. Perhaps a technical limitation.

5. Collapse Details
    Litepanels only loses like 10% brightness at 5600k and 3200k) while Aputure and some other companies fail so hard here.

I was told once that litepanels and the like build a fixture which can manage X watts of heat, they then put in the LEDs which are then tuned (power throttled) to be giving out that heat at max brightness at any colour temp.

Its an interesting design choice.

If one considers a light that is full bright at 4500 K - because all yellow leds and all white leds are full power the fixture must withstand the heat generated at that setting... a setting that is rarely used vs ful white or full yellow

The upshot is the case/cooling needs to be overspecced versus the 'typical use case' which is not a way to deliver good mass/price/brightness/cost ratio in the 'typical use cases'.

Other designers go the other way make the case to withstand the full LED output.

6. Collapse Details
    Like Rob said, these measly photometric reports are not particularly enlightening...

Im pretty sure that the spread of course hugely affects the single point reading of the nature nLUm at xMeters

nLUm at xMeters is basicaly useless

Usually watts leads to a good comparitor.

(yes a spotty light will be 'brighter' at a specific distance, but not better for illuminating a space as it has to be moved back to gain coverage (spread) which lowers the brightness!)

Ive tested this with my godox vs my lupo but cant see the images right now.

7. Collapse Details
    So you're saying the Litepanels are really no different? But they deliver a weaker between-daylight/tungsten color temp?

That would make sense to me.
    I dont know how you do bicolor except by having some of each and selectively dimming them or shutting them off, right? And similar with RGB?

8. Collapse Details
    It's pretty obvious that the motivation for these fixtures is a response to all of the Godox, Clar, Weeylite (yes, that too is a thing!), Genaray, that having been coming out in huge numbers, with very low price/watt ratio.

If you can provide even better price/watt, move it through your very popular marketing engine and community relations, and (this is critical IMO) integrate the fixtures into the Sidus app control, then you are going to make a lot of sales and pull that segment of the market into the fold. I'm sure they will sell very well.

That said, I'm going to cancel my order of two 200x fixtures. No battery support without a large 48 volt powerstation that has to be purchased separately for each fixture, striped bicolor chips, those are the main two reasons why I'm not sold on these....at least the bicolor versions.

The daylight versions seem reaonably solid if you just need to augment the number of daylight fixtures you have available on a shoot and want to keep it in the app controlled family for mains power scenarios. I may still get a couple of those for that reason.

That said, the Practilite that Eric mentioned has been my main hair light/scratch workhorse for several years now on smaller interview shoots because: 1) color is great, 2) bicolor, 3) I often place behind talent in small quarters with a v mount on the floor and one simple cable to the fixture which eliminates having a bunch of extra cables running across floor around talent, 4) great app control so that I can tune in level and color from behind camera without having to call out adjustment requests to my assistant, 5) small size.Of course, it's also almost $1k, for a small light that is not really worthy of key duties.

I would have been very happy with $500 fixtures that didn''t have any of the issues I mentioned above so that I can have bicolor with the Sidus app control, easy battery option, etc. Or $600. Whatever, just something that is in the ecosystem at a lower wattage than the 300x for non-key duties. For key, yes, I wish my 300x was as bright as my 300d mk2, but most of the indoor situations where the practicality of a bicolor is critical, I've not had huge issues with being underpowered AND the color is nicer on skin than when I gel my 300d mk2, so that is also very useful.

For hair, scratch, BG accents, The LS60x may still fulfill that role in a way that I wanted these amaran bicolor models to handle. We'll see. Just wish it was more in the 100 - 200 watt range vs 60.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Litepanels only loses like 10% brightness at 5600k and 3200k) while Aputure and some other companies fail so hard here.

I was told once that litepanels and the like build a fixture which can manage X watts of heat, they then put in the LEDs which are then tuned (power throttled) to be giving out that heat at max brightness at any colour temp.

Its an interesting design choice.

If one considers a light that is full bright at 4500 K - because all yellow leds and all white leds are full power the fixture must withstand the heat generated at that setting... a setting that is rarely used vs ful white or full yellow

The upshot is the case/cooling needs to be overspecced versus the 'typical use case' which is not a way to deliver good mass/price/brightness/cost ratio in the 'typical use cases'.

Other designers go the other way make the case to withstand the full LED output.
    With the LitePanels Astra power supply and numerous other recall disasters of the past few years, this doesn't suprise me.
    I wouldn't call that design choice interesting, I'd call it flawed.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    With the LitePanels Astra power supply and numerous other recall disasters of the past few years, this doesn't suprise me.
    I wouldn't call that design choice interesting, I'd call it flawed.
    Litepanels was just one example. You have Arri Skypanels, Hive LEDs, Practilites, Luxli, Lupo, etc., who all don't lose 50% brightness at 3200k and 5600k. If all these companies can pull this off, I don't know why Aputure cannot as well. Then again, maybe there's a reason a Skypanel or Hive 575 costs three times as much as an Aputure 600D.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast