Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    Am I deluding myself by thinking that two 200ds on a double/triple header punched through a 4x4 will yield a similar output to a 300d ii? If I buy them, I also fully expect that I may need to swap out the fans for quieter ones. I know it's not ideal to buy a new piece of kit knowing that I'll have to mod it and void the warranty, but I've done with every actively cooled light I have owned. Quiet audio is important to me.

The alternative would be to buy a 300d ii for twice as much and then supplement with the Lightstorm LS1s that I already own. The only problem is that the LS1s are 4000K. I guess I could always tape some CTB on them.

I've done a lot of research on the competing brands but my regular gaffer only uses Aputure lights so that has a lot of sway in this decision. He's already got all of the big Aputures for our bigger shoots together, including a 600d on the way. I'm just looking for a simple, manageable kit for OMB shoots. My LS1s alone aren't powerful enough to fight a window and my 575w HMIs are overkill for these and at 20lbs each, they aren't doing my back any favors. And I need to get back to a OMB kit that will fit on my Rock N Roller in one trip -- the HMIs take up half the cart.
    It can be frustrating pushing lights of varying beam angles through the same frame, let alone a 4x4. E.g. the wider beam angle light that needs to be closer can get in the way of the punchier light.

I personally would take a single, larger light for simplicity vs. setting up multiple lights and requiring a double header.

Re Gaffer's preference, do you mean choosing a light that can slot into an existing lighting package? Or do you mean their reccommendation goes a long way in general?

I'm guessing the 600d is out of the question?

How are you transporting the 575? In this thread I mention what we use for 575 PARs. They're just large plastic crates. Not tiny but smaller than the footprint of a roadcasae, which could be the difference in whether you can carry everything you need.

Pictured here in a rubbermaid:

picture.jpg

Also, why does your Gaffer only work with Aputure lights? I've never heard of a brand-exclusive lighting technician!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    @ozmorphasis

Thanks for the info. I have two Lightstorm LS1s, and I could swear that they are warmer than daylight. Between the pandemic and a good run in 2019 with budgets for a gaffer, I haven't used them much lately so I probably need to check them again. They've given me five good years of reliable use so far but I wouldn't be surprised if the color has drifted. I keep them because they make great travel lights for a truly compact kit. I can fit them both into a briefcase and carry them on.

As I see it, it's really down to the 300d ii or two (or three) 200ds.

@rob norton

What I meant is that my gaffer's COB lights are all Aputures. He has a couple 575w HMIs, FalconEyes flex lights, and some other brands too. But he's been intentional about building up his COB kit with only Aputure lights so that he can control them. We're slowly working our way to a point where I don't bring any lighting gear to our shoots but he's working out of an SUV and not a full grip truck yet so we're not quite there. Even though the competing brands may represent a better value, I'm trying not to mix Godox or Nanlites with his Aputures.

That thread is super satisfying. My HMIs live in Rubbermaid tubs (closed-top is a must here in Oregon) so they don't add much weight.

The 600D is tempting but for OMB stuff, I can't imagine needing that much power.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    @ozmorphasis

Thanks for the info. I have two Lightstorm LS1s, and I could swear that they are warmer than daylight. Between the pandemic and a good run in 2019 with budgets for a gaffer, I haven't used them much lately so I probably need to check them again. They've given me five good years of reliable use so far but I wouldn't be surprised if the color has drifted. I keep them because they make great travel lights for a truly compact kit. I can fit them both into a briefcase and carry them on.

As I see it, it's really down to the 300d ii or two (or three) 200ds.

@rob norton

What I meant is that my gaffer's COB lights are all Aputures. He has a couple 575w HMIs, FalconEyes flex lights, and some other brands too. But he's been intentional about building up his COB kit with only Aputure lights so that he can control them. We're slowly working our way to a point where I don't bring any lighting gear to our shoots but he's working out of an SUV and not a full grip truck yet so we're not quite there. Even though the competing brands may represent a better value, I'm trying not to mix Godox or Nanlites with his Aputures.

That thread is super satisfying. My HMIs live in Rubbermaid tubs (closed-top is a must here in Oregon) so they don't add much weight.

The 600D is tempting but for OMB stuff, I can't imagine needing that much power.
    I guess it all depends on what you do(wish I had a gaffer for everything ; ) ). But I've probably thrown an 800 HMI and silk(and so many times in the pre-HD years a net in the background) up for live-shots and stand-ups more times by myself than with someone else helping me.

That Rubbermaid tub is a heck of a lot lighter, cheaper and smaller than a flight case for an HMI, for sure. Thermodyne is building me one right now for one of my 800's, because the original that's ~15 years old is falling apart inside. And Bron Kobold doesn't carry them anymore. Luckily Thermodyne still has the design on-file and they'll build one-off's.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789