Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83
  1. Collapse Details
    New Aputure Amaran COB Lights
    #1
    Senior Member Liam Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    3,406
    Default
    Looks like Aputure just killed all those Aputure killers lol! Hope those of you who bought a magenta tinted Godox don’t feel too down-hearted.

    https://www.aputure.com/families/amaran/
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam


    0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Default
    I have two of the 200x bicolor fixtures on pre-order, but I'm thinking of cancelling since finding out that they don't work with Aputure's fresnel because of the striped bicolor chip. Nor will they work with their spotlight or any other optical modifier. The price is killer, but I was really excited about having several $350 bicolor fresnel fixtures that I can use for accents and as versatile gel-less fixtures in addition to my 300x, 300dmk2, and soon to arrive 600d. With only the ability to either go soft with a softbox, or hard with the reflector (55 degree) + barn doors, it's a bit less exciting. The fact that all of these fixtures would work on the sidus app and have color consistency was/is appealing, and I'm happy to pay more for that, but for accent lights and such I'm not interested in buying more of the pricier main fixtures (300x), and these suddenly dropped in appeal because of the optical limitations.

    On the other hand, the daylight versions are even less expensive and don't have those issues, so should work fine with optical modifiers. It's just a buzz kill gelling every little accent light these days. I want total control with an app. If money was no object, I'd have 5 or 6 300x, but for accents and shaping backgrounds and such that's way overkill.

    My 600d will arrive on the 12th and 10 inch fresnel is ordered as well. They almost have completely cornered, but still some missing pieces in terms of my lighting needs. Maybe their LS60x will do the trick?


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,303
    Default
    Where did you order from and which version of the 600d did you get(gold or V)? I preordered the 600d(Gold mount) from B&H last month, but it still shows as “Backordered”, “New Item-Arriving Soon” and “Preorder”. It appears that Aputure prioritized the V-mount version, because B&H and Adorama both show the Gold mount available for preorder, but the V-mount version you can put in your cart. The F10 and barn doors are also preorder from B&H. Were you given a time frame on the fresnel?


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,737
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    I have two of the 200x bicolor fixtures on pre-order, but I'm thinking of cancelling since finding out that they don't work with Aputure's fresnel because of the striped bicolor chip. Nor will they work with their spotlight or any other optical modifier. The price is killer, but I was really excited about having several $350 bicolor fresnel fixtures that I can use for accents and as versatile gel-less fixtures in addition to my 300x, 300dmk2, and soon to arrive 600d. With only the ability to either go soft with a softbox, or hard with the reflector (55 degree) + barn doors, it's a bit less exciting. The fact that all of these fixtures would work on the sidus app and have color consistency was/is appealing, and I'm happy to pay more for that, but for accent lights and such I'm not interested in buying more of the pricier main fixtures (300x), and these suddenly dropped in appeal because of the optical limitations.

    On the other hand, the daylight versions are even less expensive and don't have those issues, so should work fine with optical modifiers. It's just a buzz kill gelling every little accent light these days. I want total control with an app. If money was no object, I'd have 5 or 6 300x, but for accents and shaping backgrounds and such that's way overkill.

    My 600d will arrive on the 12th and 10 inch fresnel is ordered as well. They almost have completely cornered, but still some missing pieces in terms of my lighting needs. Maybe their LS60x will do the trick?
    I wonder if they'll do a mini fresnel for the 60x. I'd rather use a light like this with softbox vs. setting up the intellytech lc-160 from a speed perspective.

    Was it aputure who told you about those modifiers not working with the 200x? Being able to use only the reflector for hard lighting (as far as off the shelf products) makes it a non-starter for me.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Where did you order from and which version of the 600d did you get(gold or V)? I preordered the 600d(Gold mount) from B&H last month, but it still shows as “Backordered”, “New Item-Arriving Soon” and “Preorder”. It appears that Aputure prioritized the V-mount version, because B&H and Adorama both show the Gold mount available for preorder, but the V-mount version you can put in your cart. The F10 and barn doors are also preorder from B&H. Were you given a time frame on the fresnel?
    V-mount for me. Pre-ordered right when they announced it on their Facebook group through their own website. $200 deposit and then got email last night asking for final payment, and UPS tracking today.

    The Fresnel is from BH and is indeed a waiting game. Have no idea when that will come. Aputure has been way less than reliable when it comes to fulfilling orders. Now we are in pandemic mode, so they have a reasonable alibi, but they had these kinds of issues before that as well. It's often easier to get their stuff if you go through a smaller store like Hot Rod Cameras or something.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    I wonder if they'll do a mini fresnel for the 60x. I'd rather use a light like this with softbox vs. setting up the intellytech lc-160 from a speed perspective.

    Was it aputure who told you about those modifiers not working with the 200x? Being able to use only the reflector for hard lighting (as far as off the shelf products) makes it a non-starter for me.
    Someone mentioned it on their Facebook group so I chimed in to ask for confirmation and they confirmed it. It won't work with optical modifiers. I mean, it will throw light, but you are magnifying the striped color pattern, so you are not going to get a blended light on your subject between the daylight and tungsten stripes on the chip.

    I don't think the 60x through a softbox (that is comparable in size to the 2x2 litecloth) will come close to the power of the Intellytech, so I'm not sure it's much of a replacement unless you only ever use your LC-160 on very low settings. That's a 60 watt fixture. I think of that as an accent light or a hair light, or with the mini spotlight it can probably be great for bg texture in smaller spaces.

    I agree, it's a non-starter for me as well for those same reasons. The daylight fixture won't have those issues and is also a great deal, but I'm REALLY looking for that versatility...in addition to the fact that gelling LED fixtures, even really good ones, does not usually get you the kind of color accuracy that you get from an actual bicolor or tungsten led fixture.
    Last edited by ozmorphasis; 12-11-2020 at 12:26 AM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,737
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Where did you order from and which version of the 600d did you get(gold or V)? I preordered the 600d(Gold mount) from B&H last month, but it still shows as “Backordered”, “New Item-Arriving Soon” and “Preorder”. It appears that Aputure prioritized the V-mount version, because B&H and Adorama both show the Gold mount available for preorder, but the V-mount version you can put in your cart. The F10 and barn doors are also preorder from B&H. Were you given a time frame on the fresnel?
    What's your plan with battery powering lights in this category? I just saw on this youtube video that regular v/gold batteries can only run light at 50% power, which makes sense.

    I think as this space matures it'll make sense to go with a larger block battery type solution or more powerful/cheaper v-mount large capacity batteries, which you probably wouldn't use with camera/camera accessories anyway so not as big of a deal to have different standards. Thoughts?

    Remotely powering the 600d for extended periods isn't going to be cheap!


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Default
    Aputure is on fire. Here's their stream from earlier today:



    They showcased these lights, announced the 600D Pro (which probably should get its own thread), and teased something even "bigger and brighter".


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,737
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Someone mentioned it on their Facebook group so I chimed in to ask for confirmation and they confirmed it. It won't work with optical modifiers. I mean, it will throw light, but you magnifying the striped color pattern, so you are not going to get a blended light on your subject between the daylight and tungsten stripes on the chip.

    I don't think the 60x through a softbox (that is comparable in size to the 2x2 litecloth) will come close to the power of the Intellytech, so I'm not sure it's much of a replacement unless you only ever use your LC-160 on very low settings. That's a 60 watt fixture. I think of that as an accent light or a hair light, or with the mini spotlight it can probably be great for bg texture in smaller spaces.

    I agree, it's a non-starter for me as well for those same reasons. The daylight fixture won't have those issues and is also a great deal, but I'm REALLY looking for that versatility...in addition to the fact that gelling LED fixtures, even really good ones, does not usually get you the kind of color accuracy that you get from an actual bicolor or tungsten led fixture.
    Look at the LC-160's photometrics (under output ratings) - https://www.intellytechusa.com/produ...60-led-mat-kit

    Compared to the 60x vague current specs - "50,000 lux at 1 meter in full spot". We don't know the flood brightness but who knows.

    The amount of homework these manufacturers make you do when it comes to seeing the big picture gets tiresome. I hate the "lux @1m that's all you need to know" standard that's becoming so popular in this space. I understand it's probably directly linked to more sales and absolutely critical in their hype marketing philosophy but I'd rather be treated like a professional and instantly see a full table which goes beyond a few feet. Even the measly arri 150 output table goes to 5m!


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member Grug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    4,228
    Default
    They sound like great, cheap bounce/basher lights. Aputure are killing it.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •