Thread: The Crown BTS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Crown BTS
    Apologies if this has been posted before but this is well worth watching. On the set during shooting of The Crown talking to the DP Adriano Goldman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28cC...ature=emb_logo

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks for sharing.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, great referral. I do like the look of the Crown with the Tiffen Glimmer Glass. Glimmer Glass is one of my go-to filtrations.

Chris Young

From interlaced grabs (yes interlaced! Some still demand it.)

Camera
    Camera.jpg

Camera + Bronze Glimmer 10
    Camera + Bronze Glimmer 10.jpg

Camera + Smoque 1
    Camera + Smoque 1.jpg

4. Collapse Details
    How did you change filters without the subject moving at all?

5. Collapse Details
    LOL! I knew that would be one of the questions asked. Very good for the first question. I cheated

I used Tiffen's DFX 4.0. This allows me to use almost any of Tiffen's optical filter looks in post. Bringing me the option to offer lens filter effects into much lower end productions. On the practical side, I have literally dozens of 4 x 5.6 and circular filters and a couple of matte boxes now gathering dust because they are too large and involve too much rigging for mirrorless and many of the smaller video cameras. Everything from NDs to ND grads to the old school colored grads, Promists white, black, warm, enhancing, etc that were popular in their day. These physical filters also complicate travel today in these compromised travel days when flying interstate with just an interviewer and shooter who has to cart all of his own "small" camera kit, lights, and sound. The rumor is that Tiffen sold out their DFX software to Digital Film Tools as it was seriously affecting their "real glass" sales. It's now been bought out by Boris FX. Love the software. Nearly everything is done in software grading these days and seeing the flexibility and availability of these "optical filters" with the ability to rehearse many film looks, lighting gobos FX, and just pure grading power all available in one package DFX was a definite starter for me when Tiffen first released the package.

EDIT: I've added a video down below that I believe is no longer available that better explained Tiffen DFX.

Chris Young

Virtually any optical filter effect you can see in the following clip is available in DFX 4.0 and is highly customizable and can be saved as one of your presets.

DFX streaming demo from around 2016.

https://youtu.be/us3AMAB4R3g
    Last edited by cyvideo; 12-10-2020 at 02:30 AM. Reason: added to

6. Collapse Details
    Haven't seen The Crown but I really enjoyed the BTS. Thanks for posting. There really is a unique energy on a bigger production like this that came through well here. It's humbling to see how the big productions do it. All of the things that I wish I had the time/money/manpower to pull off on my small sets, they execute on the big ones (and then some). Sometimes that's just having an uninterrupted moment to think -- I liked Adriano's comment about having the freedom to exercise his creativity.

7. Collapse Details
    Yes, it really shows how different larger scale productions are from OMBs. Not even close to being related. As a OMB, it is amazing to me to see a large group of people working together with one single purpose. Seemingly plodding along but leaving no stone unturned for quality.

8. Collapse Details
    The steadicam operator for the F55 was 2 inches taller before the filming started.

9. Collapse Details
    Chris, are you sure the Tiiffen software is really necessary? I graded this version of your original in about a minute using Resolve. It would have been even faster if just chose whatever I liked and wasn't trying to come close to the look of your Bronze Glimmer. I think I've reduced the hot spot on his forehead even better than the Tiffin filter.

DJ1_1.2.1.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    Coincidentally I just came across this new diffusion plugin for Davinci Resolve called "Scatter" at the Lift Gamma Gain Forum:

https://videovillage.co/scatter/

It is Mac only.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast