Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    You nailed it. What choice do they have? It's either this or they die. I even find myself watching less TV on the TV in the other room and more TV on my iMac 27", at times even while working.
    I'm old, the next generation of kids are already beginning to look at TVs as antiques, they consume media on their phones and occasionally their laptop. The idea of plopping onto a huge couch and
    staring at a huge screen is becoming passť anyway except for us olds or if the young'uns are a sports junkie. it's not how the next generations consume their media.
    I watch most of my TV on my iPad Pro that I can carry around the house as needed. My daughter has taken over the TV in the living room to watch Daniel Tiger, Baby Shark and Youtube nursery rhymes.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    I watch most of my TV on my iPad Pro that I can carry around the house as needed. My daughter has taken over the TV in the living room to watch Daniel Tiger, Baby Shark and Youtube nursery rhymes.
    Well, there it is. Manufacturers just need to advertise 8k on those shows to spark demand.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    An 8K Canon camera is taking a peek.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    An 8K Canon camera is taking a peek.

Glad we can see this in glorious FHD or lower.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Eh, it's a promo of a promo. And not even in English. But, since something is out, let's consider that the CES is in two weeks. Canon might want to pair up with an 8K TV manufacturer, although Canon does make their own front projectors that can be stacked.

BTW, I thought I saw the clip first but CR had it a few hours earlier. Off comments there, this may be a modular camera - with an internal 8K 24p as an entry level pro and, with an external conversion unit, as a "Netflix approved" 8K 60p. In either case, it should be out shortly.

6. Collapse Details
    Eh, it's a promo of a promo. And not even in English. But, since something is out, let's consider that the CES is in two weeks. Canon might want to pair up with an 8K TV manufacturer, although Canon does make their own front projectors that can be stacked.

BTW, I thought I saw the clip first but CR had it a few hours earlier. Off comments there, this may be a modular camera - with an internal 8K 24p as an entry level pro and, with an external conversion unit, as a "Netflix approved" 8K 60p. In either case, it should be out shortly.
    I think News Shooter may have beat you both...

7. Collapse Details
    Checked out the available 8K TV's. Best Buy lists 18 models, starting at $2,000 for a 55" Samsung. The high end Sony 98" goes for $60,000.

On a projector side, there's a two year old faux (pixel shifting) 8K JVC unit that runs $18,000. Then there's a theater unit that runs $300,000. Would you rather have that or a Cullinan?

Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I think News Shooter may have beat you both...
    They wake up earlier down under.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Glad we can see this in glorious FHD or lower.
    The irony is rich indeed! No 8K, not even 4K.

They still can't record 8K internally it seemed, not on this prototype which is the best they've got to show publicly.
    (even though one of their mirrorless can, but that's horribly rife with problems itself! Is not production ready for the big time)

This all makes me think we won't see this camera shipping in numbers before late 2021, at the earliest.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

9. Collapse Details
    While this Canon will undoubtedly have superior AF capability, the BMD UMP Form Factor 12K is already here. Granted, it uses a fairly compressed recording scheme with BM RAW
    but by JB's account and the test footage, it's a pretty nice camera. It also has all of that new sensor technology that make it appealing even if you never shoot 12K with it. I'm really
    curious what this Canon offering will sell for but I bet it will be nowhere near $9,999.00. Choice is good but it seems like their thunder was stolen by BMD. 8K sounds meh when
    you can buy a good 12k camera from BMD for very little money. But that Canon AF will undoubtedly be good and focusing sharp in 12k seems like a tough haul.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    Considering that R5 can record 8K Raw internally and there's supposedly a similarly priced 8K hybrid from Sony just around the corner, it'd make sense for both companies to jump into an 8K cinema as well. With the Covid vaccine, the 2020 Olympics should be be taking place in Japan this summer and that will call attention to Canon as one of its main sponsors.

The cartel seems to be cracking up too, with a sub $4,000 R5 and a new line of Canon photo sensors being made available to the third party manufacturers, so the technology race seems to be back up. 8K seems only the first step.

PS. After reading the Newsshooter article - I assume Matt speaks fluent Japanese - the camera in the video is probably a one-off model. But we should be seeing real working prototypes either by the CES or CP+. Both are scheduled as "online only" events but the anti-Covid vaccination could begin bringing things back to life.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast