Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    8K resolution screens are about to go mainstream

2019 was when 8K really kicked off, with the LG 8K OLED and LG SM99 taking up shelf-space alongside the Samsung Q950R QLED – which got a nifty 55-inch size later in the year – Sony Z9G, and TCL’s new X-Series TV.

There are enough 8K TVs now that we needed a best 8K TV guide just to sift through them. What’s more, there are only more on the way – with multiple announcements at CES 2020 of new 8K models, promising advances in processing and ramped-up manufacturing in order to offer sharper and more affordable (but still pretty expensive) sets.
    https://www.techradar.com/news/8k-tv...B-AE5A304A5989
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

2. Collapse Details
    That's a year old article.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    That's a year old article.
    Yes, it is dated. But I write this on the LG 75SM9900 PLA 8K 75 inch NanoCell. Well, actually on the Ryzen PC connected to it.

4. Collapse Details
    Meanwhile, my 1080p Plasma TV still produces a better image than my QLED 4K TV. I even ask people to guess which one is 4K, and they always gravitate to the plasma.

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Meanwhile, my 1080p Plasma TV still produces a better image than my QLED 4K TV. I even ask people to guess which one is 4K, and they always gravitate to the plasma.
    TVs are one step forward, two steps back. 8K is just a ploy to sell new TVs to consumers who largely cannot tell the difference between 1080 and 8K.
    Wonder how many will buy them and will be viewing mostly 720p, if even that quality on them?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    One can stream 4K, 5K and 8K already on YouTube. With 8K cameras becoming very affordable - thank Canon for R5 but the latest Samsung phones can do 8K too - there's going to be a deluge of the "pretty pictures in 8K". Right now, it's mostly travel and nature but the transition is well underway.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    TVs are one step forward, two steps back. 8K is just a ploy to sell new TVs to consumers who largely cannot tell the difference between 1080 and 8K.
    Wonder how many will buy them and will be viewing mostly 720p, if even that quality on them?
    That one cracks me up, because it really hits home. I’ve been on a kick lately watching Forensic Files, which as a lot of you know, a huge portion of the episodes were shot back in the late 90’s/early 2000’s in SD 4:3. And I’m watching on a 120” 4K projector.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    That one cracks me up, because it really hits home. I’ve been on a kick lately watching Forensic Files, which as a lot of you know, a huge portion of the episodes were shot back in the late 90’s/early 2000’s in SD 4:3. And I’m watching on a 120” 4K projector.
    Just like on our end with the cameras, I can't blame the manufacturers, they have to come up with some gimmick to get consumers into Costco to buy a new TV. Just like the camera companies that have done the same with
    unnecessary resolution upgrades (We all know that 12K is the least interesting feature of the new BMD 12K camera!), FF sensors. It's all to move merch and they have to do it to survive.

They have definitely gone down the rabbit hole where the existing tech is so good, there is little reason for consumers or for us pros to upgrade our existing 4K stuff unless they build in a perceived "want/must have" factor. I'd love
    to know if any of the universities that teach advanced marketing have done recent case studies about our little industry and how through marketing, our industry has managed to survive in a era of highly diminishing technological returns.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

9. Collapse Details
    I'll wait for the 16K screen.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    they have to do it to survive
    In the '90s, when a friend decided to make a go of it as a photographer, she bought a used Mamiya or Hasselblad. I remember thinking it was cool that she could use a camera that was 20-30 years old. Then again, I think it was still $5,000.

Film cameras have run their course, but it was several decades like that, without this current churn. You could buy used and keep using it for 10-20 years. The companies did not seem to be going bankrupt because of this practice. What's different?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast